teksing888 teksing888 31-35, M 9 Answers Nov 14, 2012 in Education

Asteroids have very little variances from projected paths, so no I am not worried as is the case of most scientists that do this for a living.

Best Answer

Thats true but the chances of it happening are not impossible James.

Best Answer

well it was thought they would need to wait until 2013 to rule out completely a collision, and at that point there was only a 1 in 83,000 chance it would strike us. NASA has completely ruled it out now.
http://earthsky.org/space/asteroid-2012-da14-will-pass-very-close-to-earth-in-2013

Best Answer

That’s the odds that are posted on space.com, although keep in mind that 65,000,000 yrs ago an asteroid the size of 10 kilometers & exploded with the energy that was equivalent of 100,000,000 atomic bombs & killed almost 90% of life on earth at that time a frightening thought as it will happen again sometime in the future. Although It did contribute to something positive as it fused together rare elements like iridium which can only be found in abundance in space & that are vital to electronic technology like that in your wrist watch or mobile phone & an even bigger impact created the gold fields of South Africa as it brought the gold up from the earth’s crust, so asteroid impacts although catastrophic can be a force for creation as much as destruction. James

Best Answer

absolutely, I am by no means saying that an asteroid can't hit earth, actually it will absolutely happen again and life will be wiped out and new life will emerge. It just doesn't look like this is the asteroid that will do it.

Best Answer

Don't believe everything you hear about on government websites as some miss-information is often mistakenly included & asteroids by their very nature are unpredictable beasts in terms of where they wonder it could go away or it could one day hit earth as NASA recently discovered a phenomenon called The key hole approach in which an asteroid or comet that comes close to earth is deflected by gravity into a dangerous orbit on a future date & the other option I was thinking of to deal with these threats is a orbital tactical laser station on the moon using the largest crater as a bowl with reflectors to focus the beam into one giant concentrated Death star like weapon like seen in Star wars. It doesn’t have to be manned as long as it's fully functional and the idea I had was to deflect or vaporize the asteroid or impactor before it hits earth. This may be a pipe dream though as it would cost a lot of money & co operation between multinational space administrations’s to set up. James

Best Answer

can we get through one end of the world scare before we start the other. Dec 21 2012? Remember?

Best Answer

I Don't believe in the 2012 conspiracy theories as they are just that & you shouldn’t believe everything you hear from those people all though some of them will be right sometime in the future, so just live your life well & don’t regret anything James.

Best Answer

Neither do I. I have lived through at least 40 end of the world scares in my life. It is getting old.

Best Answer

One of these days they will be right. hopefully not in my life-time. James

Best Answer

when the end of the world finally comes, I doubt anyone will see it coming.

Best Answer

It'd be nice if it blew up the White House

Best Answer

I was worried to hear about this asteroid as it's going to come very close to us & the earth’s gravity being the way it is it might pose a risk especially as it's the size of New York city, and if it hits will be a catastrophic event on a global scale. And would be enough to vaporize an entire city and kill millions of people should it hit earth. James

Best Answer

not much we can do about it, is there?

Best Answer

In a word No we can't do anything about it as if it impacts with earth we would have little or no warning of the impending doom this would create as it's the size of N.Y.C & should it hit it would be a catastrophic event on a biblical scale, especially as the last time humanity faced a catastrophe on that scale was 75,000 years ago when The Mt Toba super volcano blew up & that left a scar more than 2 miles deep that can be seen from space James.

Best Answer

I have no problem with that; but there's still not much that the human race can do to prevent it from reaching us

Best Answer

nasa says no. google sez it might take out a couple of satellites, though

Best Answer

I could live with that as satilites are replaceable, unlike people or human kind. James

Best Answer

some day somebody will be right

Best Answer

That’s very true as the earth plays Russian roulette every day as the earth & Moon oscillates through the inner-most asteroid belt. That’s the stuff left over from the creation of the planets millions of years ago. James

Best Answer

I dunno how true it is but I hope it happens

Best Answer

Why do you wan't to die? as if it hits us thats the end of humanity on a global scale not to mention most of life on earth.

Best Answer