Questionator Questionator 26-30 181 Answers Aug 17, 2012 in Community

Question of the Day

Four years ago I was homeless, living in a shelter and terrified of the black mold above my bunk, yet another case of food poisoning and of the Salvation Army discovering that I'm a lesbian and kicking me out. During my time there, I discovered a new appreciation of acts of kindness. It was rare to be treated as a real person and when it happened I would cry from joy. I made a few good friends, learned the importance of community and when I got my very first apartment it was known as "The Big Gay Homeless Coffee House". Always had a pot of coffee on, a shower free to use, impromptu social worker services, the occasional tarot reading, I fed anyone in my home and I kept my door unlocked. Over time, people drifted away and sometimes I really miss that feeling of community.<br />
These days, I'm in a larger apartment and more mentally stable than ever before. My personalities have begun to integrate, I've been writing poetry again and I've also become something of a budding artist. While I am only seven months out from my last suicide attempt, it was the first time someone else stopped me. There is something surprisingly healing to know the woman I call Mom cared enough to walk into a room to see if I was all right. To date, the year has been hard but it runs with a theme of 'Everything For A Reason'. Now I know that I have strength I didn't think I had and the necessary courage to live as fearlessly as my dreams. <br />
I am far better off than I was four years ago and I am thankful for all the living between then and now.

Top Answer #1
Best Answer

I don't know you but I have never known the Salvation Army to discriminate like that. It sounds like you are saying they kicked you out because of your sexual orientation of lesbian. If so, why? Were you "caught in action"?

Best Answer

I wasn't but my friend who was gay, an AIDS patient and going through chemo at the time was kicked out because of his sexual orientation.

Best Answer

I am really proud of you and to hear how you overcame
all that you did. I can't say much for the Salvation Army
for the way they treated you ... detestable!

Best Answer

Applause! Beautiful, this was very interesting and I thank you for sharing here.

Best Answer

4 years ago I had a wife that loved me, an outstanding job and no debt. Now there's no loving wife, a mountain of debt and my good job got closed for economic reasons. That and my smaller paycheck doesn't go as far with higher prices for gas and food. Yes, I am much worse off than 4 yrs ago.

Best Answer

Right on! I'm right there too. I sometimes wonder what the heck happened to the economy. Everything is so different now.

Best Answer

YES - Financially I own my own home, money in the bank<br />
BUT <br />
I would give this all away to have my son back

Top Answer #2
Best Answer

*Hugs*

Best Answer

Sorry Ned. (((HUGS)))

Best Answer

thank you

Best Answer

thank you

Best Answer

&lt;3 and blessings to you sweety. Double, Double!!

Best Answer

thank you

Best Answer

Were you a bad father?

Best Answer

NO - He passed away 9years ago

Best Answer

Worse off -- in the financial and political senses. My home is worth less, I pay more in taxes, fees, fines and such as Government makes more laws and sets more regulations that nickle, dime and dollar "real people" to death. My Retirement Plan is worth half what it was 4 years ago, and if this President is reelected, a TRILLION in new taxes will be added onto what the already overburdened taxpayers like me are paying a year, just from new "ObamaCare" taxes kicking in and reversing the Bush tax rates set 10 years ago. <br />
Then there's the dwindling of our Constitutional liberties -- restrictions on Religious and Free Speech Liberties (the 1st Amendment), a crusade to take away the law-abiding citizens only means of Defense against criminals and tyrants (2nd Amendment), a campaign to ignore the right to citizens NOT to be illegally searched in our oersons, home or businesses (Amendment 4), the right of citizens to a trial by jury and due process without unlawful or indefinite imprisonment (Amendment 5-7), The limitation of the Federal Governments power to those things enumerated in the Constitution itself, and the rest of the rights and liberties reserved to the States and the People (Amendments 9-10).<br />
ALL of these Amendments have been directly attacked by the current administration, and if they are re-elected, these rights will likely not survive at all.<br />
But I am hopeful. I am at peace that, whatever happens, a Greater Hand has control -- and I will simply stand for what is right no matter what comes.

Best Answer

You can only do your part in change by voting. Remember to do that so no matter the outcome, you know you did your best.

Best Answer

Agreed.

Best Answer

Well said!

Best Answer

I am much better off now. I have finally married the woman of my dreams and we are expecting twins. Life couldn't be better.

Top Answer #3
Best Answer

wonderful news :-) twin boys, girls, or a boy a girl. My sister has two boys

Best Answer

Four years ago, I was in Iraq. I think I'm better.

Best Answer

Thank you~Bless you~

Best Answer

^_^

Best Answer

Jesus has me, I am still good. :)

Best Answer

that's sweet :-) true

Best Answer

Four years ago myself and my daughter were moving into our new home. For the first time we had a happy future ahead of us with our own place to call home, my daughter started school and I went back to college. Finally managing to escape a horrible and violent relationship gave us both a new lease of life. Now Im in my 2nd year of university and have been in a wonderful relationship with an amazing man for almost a year. Things are not without problems but I have a rock to help me through anything. The next 2 years will promise many changes and exciting journeys I love my life and the people in it

Best Answer

Four years ago my first sinus surgery had failed.<br />
Was very depressed, tired, and in the process of getting surgery # 2...<br />
After surgery #2 it's still there. Been 12 years now, and yep, it's antibiotic-resistant.<br />
I'm less tired, less broke, and I actually like myself some days...so it's improvement.

Best Answer

Hugs

Best Answer

Four years ago was actually just before the economic meltdown which hit in October and months before Barack Obama was inaugurated as our president. I think a fairer question would be comparing now to January of 2009.

Best Answer

I am nowhere near as well off financially now as I was 4 years ago. Largly thanks to the economic down turn that bankrupted two companies that I worked for in the construction industry. With the government that is in power now, I feel less secure in my personal freedom and I have worries about the stability of the currency that were not an issue four years ago. These last four years have not been easy for anyone that I know of, the economy particularly, is damn scarey and not improving.

Best Answer

Financially? no, not really. <br />
emotionally? yes

Best Answer

Sounds like a politically motivated question.

Best Answer

what tipped you off? The four years part?

Best Answer

Ya think?

Best Answer

comparing present to past it's just a bridge of differences on how we perceive memories<br />
if it's better or worse it will always depends on the momentarily state of mind

Best Answer

Better.

Best Answer

I am worse off because I moved to this disaster of a state they call Florida!

Best Answer

Worse.By a landslide.

Best Answer

Better :) and I am proud to say that. There were some of the things which I had then....I no longer have. But it has been a journey of understanding....and today I understand why I am better off not having those. Superficial people, Pride and limited understanding of the world in general :)

Best Answer

I would hate to have to relive these past 4 years.. I think I am finally reaching the top of this mountain.. Way better off. Praise the Lord!!!

Best Answer

you have done well and never go back

Best Answer

I won't.. I am keeping on, keeping on.

Best Answer

I figure it's another 4 yrs I survived to live another day............so better!

Best Answer