This happens to me all the time, and it's starting to really annoy me, especially when strangers come up to me and ask, "What are you?" I’m never quite sure how to respond to that, but I don't like having to explain why I look the way that I do. It's also awkward when people come up to me and start trying to guess my ethnic background. I know they're just curious and don't mean any harm, but I get really tired of it sometimes.
SJM2 SJM2 26-30, F 32 Answers Nov 9, 2012 in Hobbies

To me it's more annoying than offensive.

Best Answer

I just tell them I'm American.

Best Answer

People are usually pretty sure that I'm black; they ask if I'm mixed with every other ethnicity imaginable. If they know me well enough for a conversation I'm not that offended, but from a total stranger I would find it a bit intrusive.

Best Answer

Yeah, I don't mind having a real conversation about it with people I know. But when I'm grocery shopping or sitting on the subway, and a complete stranger comes up to me and asks or starts guessing random ethnicities, it bothers me.

Best Answer

I don't find it rude or offensive, as people have a naturally curious and inquistive nature. It's fascinating to see all the different people in the world.

Best Answer

no. I kinda like it, in fact. I'm obviously Native American and <br />
unless your surname is "Custer", people generally like Indians.<br />
I like it even more when someone is thoughtful enough to ask "what Tribe?"

Best Answer

I can see that Custer being a sore spot! I would not be a fan if they were named after Columbus either.

Best Answer

I'm only half Native American, and that seems to really confuse people. I get asked by strangers if I'm everything from Turkish to Brazilian.

Best Answer

sometimes i find it rude but usually not offensive unless they use racial slurrs or say it with a tone in their voice. i had a guy in louisiana aske me 'are you one them wetbacks moved to town?' ...i said hell to tha no, and mind your business. but its hard for ppl to guess cause im a mix of 4 things so they usuallyonly get a couple of them haha...seems to always happen in elevators, ugh hate that... hate elevators already, then trapped in there with somone badgering me with rude questions haha.

Best Answer

Most definitely not!<br />
I think it's a great thing to be curious, and who know? Maybe a new friendship will come out of it!<br />
The more you ask, the more you know.

Best Answer

hello, SJM2,<br />
you feel like the questions really scratches at you...?<br />
it used to bother me, i felt like someone was picking at me, finding faults<br />
until i made an internal psychological change<br />
and now i enjoy it that someone took an interest in me<br />
respect, from robbie

Best Answer

Yes, but I haven't been asked in a while which is nice. I think many just assume I'm biracial (Black/White) ba<x>sed on the color of my skin, but I'm not.

Best Answer

people need to get their manners learned

Best Answer

I usually ask this because I think someone is beautiful and I want to know more about their "tribe". I think it is fascinating and wonderful that we all have some place that part of us originated from. I dunnow I just love all the different people in the world, and like to celebrate the differences. I am an American Mutt and most would think I am pure white-whatever that means. I actually prefer people who are different than myself. I say this with pure love.

Best Answer

In person ppl know I'm black but online they're always guessing n I'm happy to leave it that way. ;-)

Best Answer

I don't seem to have that problem , maybe its the permanent frown on my face

Best Answer

I have never been asked that question

Best Answer

I ask people all the time.. just curious.. it's inteting where people come from!!

Best Answer

If I don't know them, that can be intrusive, otherwise I don't mind that much, actually have a little fun with them guessing..lol. I am a super mutt..looking at me, one would guess some type of native american and some type of white or hispanic. But all it really is, is a bit of some type of eurasian/there's eastern european and some other unknowns on my mother's side, put simply half my family looks sort of hispanic and the other half look white.<br />
Once they get done guessing wrong, (smiling) then I run them down the list.

Best Answer

O.K., so what's your ethinicity? .....LOL......It doesn't matter to me what you are or what anyone is......Peace!

Best Answer

I always answer the same way - I's f******* WHITE damn you f'kin m'thr f'ker!

Best Answer

i don't have a problem with it. I do get it..not a lot but it happens. Most people think I look exotic for a white girl and I think its hilarious I get are you Greek? Italian? are you part egyptian.?? I am none, just a boring mix of northern Europe. But I suppose if it happened ALL the time it would get tedious

Best Answer

people are weird. When it comes to strangers you can just walk away....but if you have an accent or something it's pretty normal here and so probably not considered rude at all to most people so you might find a simple response...like "texas" and then turning away to be the most effective.

Best Answer