no. in my experience, people who *actively* identify themselves as "christian" are more likely to be bigoted and discriminatory.<br />
the people i am speaking of would do well to review that passage from John, because they are not loving.

Best Answer

farts in agreement

Best Answer

not many people understand the concept of love for others. they understand only love for self.

Best Answer

you are right. i love others, but i find it hard when they are so ready to send a whole segment of the population to hell because of their sexual orientation or lifestyle choices.

Best Answer

Preaching to the choir ;) I'm a lesbian

Best Answer

god bless you. you really are one of the good ones. i mean it.

Best Answer

I'm a bisexual Christian and proud. :)

Best Answer

i wish i knew more people like you.

Best Answer

I've found it sadder that so many people who identify as christians don't let it stop them from BEING hateful and prejudiced.

Best Answer

Sad is when a "Christian" tells you you're going to hell because you're not of the same faith...errr...this has happened to me, shocked me beyond belief. Be excellent to each other..why is that so hard? You don't have to be any particular religion to practice kindness to all living creatures.

Best Answer

I'm very sorry that has happened to you. Kindness and respect, two very simple things that people forget.

Best Answer

Thank you LonexWolf...but it had nothing to do with lack of kindness or respect. The person who said this to me is a good friend of mine and as he explained to me (my friend is Baptist)...if you're NOT saved (do YOU accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?)-- you're going to hell. He was letting me know he feared for my soul (I was actually touched along with shocked)...because he really cared for me, he felt he had to tell me about the "hell" part.

Best Answer

I do find it sad! Thank you for posting this question. Christianity was meant to be about love, not hate. Unfortunately, certain "Christian" public figures have turned the definition around.

Best Answer

praise the lard

Best Answer

That's their problem. I equate it to Peace & Love.

Best Answer

I know people who have had less than stellar experiences with Churches, with self-proclaimed or "saved" Christians. I find it very sad.<br />
One girl in my neighborhood, her mother would not allow her to study any religion. She would take sc<x>riptures and sacred texts away from her, throw them out. I gave her a great book called, "UnChristian", which was about breaking the misconceptions surrounding Christianity- it's geared towards Christians (to try and understand what turns people off of the religion) and to any others who are curious about how the perception can be broken. She became a Christian soon after- of course, she then kept my book and blocked me on Facebook...<br />
Then there is my best friend, who had little show of God in the house, growing up. Born to parents doomed to divorce, verbally abused and raised in a stern upbringing, she only had her religious grandparents to really care for her- and her grandmother tried to cram it all down her throat, she of course she rebelled and detested religion after that. Was a Catholic, but with no positive guide to keep her spiritual life going, she lost faith. When I went for a walk with her one time, she had me describe my religion to her- maybe the only time she has even done so. As I described it, she was polite and quiet- and then explained to me that what I described (my love for God) sounded great, not like how other people have described Christianity to her. She said I sound open and very peaceful, and full of love. She asked me if I wanted to convert to Buddhism, as I easily could- shocked, I told her No, that's not where my beliefs are. Faith is faith.<br />
The name "Christian" is full of unpleasant associations to some people. It's a shame, but we're not going to reach them through condescension- we all sin, we all fall short of God. Most importantly, we can't decide if someone is or ever will be with God- that's God's judgment.

Best Answer

Yes, I do find that sad.

Best Answer

No. Its true.

Best Answer

yes any day.... The name of any religion in the world means a way of remembering God .... equating any religion to Hatred (is too strong a word when you don't know what the religion stands for) because a few 100s were a bad lot is like hating God Himself.

Best Answer

There is also Luke 14:26, where Luke has Jesus preaching hate. Christians have been fighting for nearly 2000 years over what is 'truly Christian,' and we have, still today, "God hates ****" Christians and "God is love" Christians, and Evangelist ministers that will claim that Catholics will burn in Hell.<br />
It is sad when "people equate the word "Christian" with hatred and prejudice," It is also sad when "people equate the word "Christian" with LOVE and ACCEPTANCE. Both are overly-broad generalizations, if not stereotypes. Christians are people; some of them are good, some are not. No Christians are stereotypes; nor are Jews, Atheists, Pagans, gays, straights, Democrats, Republicans, or Communists.<br />
I think that it is most sad that so many people can't see beyond stereotypes.<br />
Phelps, and other Christians that preach hatred and intolerance, cite passages from the Old and New Testaments in support of their beliefs, The books of the Bible are rife with contradiction, and that is the reason that there are so many different Christian sects, and those of you who speak of "true" Christianity are examples of that. Does a 'true' Christian follow John and Mathew or Paul, regarding women? Who determines what the 'true' Christian believes?

Best Answer

it is extremely sad how the disciples continued to treat women even though Jesus Himself held women in extremely high regard.

Best Answer

I agree; He certainly did. The Catholic Church, though, and many Protestant sects, have opted to go with Paul, and misogyny. The trouble is that there is no clear choice for a "true" Christian; who determines what does a "true" Christian believes?

Best Answer

It's interesting that early Christianity struggled with the same issues. There are all of those lost scrolls that were written at the same time as the other books of the new testament. There were many different "sects" of Christianity, but the true message remained the same, the message was love. Not just love, but to open the self to others, to love them as you love yourself. Enlightenment should follow love, because sincere love makes us think about and consider others feelings, thoughts, and lead us to compassion. Love of self achieves the exact opposite. Not saying at all that people shouldn't love themselves, but that they should hold other people in the same regard, because none of us are better than anyone else. There's no sin tier.

Best Answer

Lucy, I think that you have strayed from the question asked by your OP. It is not your understanding of Christianity, or Christ's message, that causes people to "equate the word "Christian" with hatred and prejudice." It is the hatred and intolerance of others, who do consider themselves to be 'good Christians,' and give the whole lot a bad rep. Yours is a more spiritual and less dogmatic theology; I'm sure that you have heard Fundamentalist preachers telling all manner of groups and individuals that they will burn in hell—they are not less Christian than you.

Best Answer

This wasn't about whether or not who was a better Christian ;) This was designed to make people who call themselves Christians think about the message they're sending to others.

Best Answer

I wasn't talking about who was a 'better' Christian, but rather the notion of a 'real' Christian. Those fundamentalists that preach hatred and intolerance will say that you—or anyone preaching love and acceptance—is not a 'real' Christian. They can, and do, cite Bible passages in support of their claims, and make Christianity unappealing to non-Christiand—they make Christianity look repulsive, and provide fodder for proselytizing Atheists. Its a lot of sophistry, but the fact is that Christianity in not a single, uniform, set of beliefs.

Best Answer

not at all it gives me hope that people are starting to see it for what it is.

Best Answer