Maybe my family's a bit screwed up, but I find that my family members tend to act a lot less respectful towards each other than they would to other random people. For example, if my mom wants something she'll just demand it, whereas if I was a stranger, she would request it politely. Or if someone in the family makes a mistake, they will be ridiculed/criticized. However, if they witness someone else make a mistake, they will kindly point it out, and offer a solution. Also, privacy/personal space is an issue. It's like just because you have a closer relationship with them, means you don't need to have any regard for their own privacy and comfort. Does anyone else have this problem with their families, and do you think it just comes with the territory, or that people should treat their families with the same sort of respect as they would an acquaintance?
Agonystick Agonystick 22-25, M 6 Answers Nov 24, 2012 in Dating & Relationships

A lady should treat everyone with courtesy, kindness and respect, but first and foremost her own family in her own home. A lady should be the role model for her children of manners and charm, teaching by her example. Her aura should radiate warmth, compassion, caring, nurturing, tenderness, and sympathy. There is no excuse for allowing familiarity to breed contempt, and for taking advantage of the fact that your family loves you and will forgive your ill behavior. A lady sets the tone in her home, letting her gracious hospitality exude to all within her home, but most of all to those closest to her whom she cherishes and holds dear. What goes around comes around, and you reap what you sow. So to act otherwise, is really a sign of very low character.

Best Answer

yes. my family knows me..but with a complete stranger they aren't aware of how many bodies i have buried my backyard..so new people..well, they don't judge me like people who know me do..also meeting new people gives me the chance to finely tune my "Why don't you come over and check out my new couch and does this rag smell like chloroform?" strategy..

...

in all seriousness yeah, i see what your saying..but that's what being apart of a family is like and aslong as their not putting cigarettes out on you and calling you " IT" you'll be alright

Best Answer

yes! I've noticed that and it annoys me. I guess its because we want people to have a good first impression of us and since we already know our family members have to deal with us either way, we skip the respectful part.

Best Answer

Do you think that it is health to skip that part?

Best Answer

do you mean healthy? and no, I don't, because respect always comes first in a relationship, no matter what the relationship is.

Best Answer

Sometimes we take each other for granted....sometimes we have unresolved issues....sometimes we just lose respect for one another....great question....good reminder for us all.

Best Answer

Yeah but it's because we love each other and are a bit more forgiving. A stranger for all you know could kill you if you don't do the right things

Best Answer

So you guys are basically saying that respect for personal dignity is manufactured by fear instead of actual human kindness?

Best Answer

i treat my loved ones nice :)
i treat strangers / acquaintances nice too :)
only to my abuser, its different.
i speak respectfully out of fear. i do not respect him.
i mind my manners out of fear. my mind says rude things to him.
i am sincerely kind to him when he is in need because he is a living thing and not because i love him.

Best Answer

That is a very compassionate attitude. It's hard to be kind to someone that you think has wronged you. I hope that he realizes some day how much effort you put in to be civil.

Best Answer

I'm pretty sure my family won't kill me, but the others...

Best Answer

So you treat your family like **** just because you are pretty sure they won't do you harm if you do?

Best Answer

Tell me what you think if you are ever at the house.

Best Answer

Which house? If you're implying that you disliike your family, then fine. But your first statement is implying that if it weren't for the fear of having strangers harming you, you would treat everyone like ****.

Best Answer