Tummytocker Tummytocker 51-55, F 8 Answers Apr 5 in Community

Yes; however we can be a bit more 'BLUNT & STRAIGHT' here because you're not standing in front of my face prepared to throw a punch.

Best Answer

Yes, and in the United States of Assholia thanks to the Patriot Act you really do have to watch what you say nowadays. Every American is considered a potential terrorist until proven otherwise. Remember, the U.S. government can now<br />
*tap your phone without a warrant<br />
*intercept your e-mail without a warrant<br />
*intercept your snail mail without a warrant, read it then tape the envelope shut and send it on its way<br />
*demand to see your medical records without a warrant<br />
*go to your library and demand to know what books you've checked out then bar the librarian from ever telling you even if you ask, all in the name of "national security"<br />
*designate you as an "enemy combatant" on a whim, kidnap you in the middle of the night and whisk you away to some C.I.A. dungeon to be tortured, er, sorry, "robustly interrogated" to death or left to rot in some dog kennel in 110-degree heat in Gitmo without any semblance of due process<br />
*and basically do whatever else the government wants to do to you<br />
So not only do some people get wound up about what you say, you could end up "robustly interrogated" to death or sitting in a cage in Gitmo for expressing an opinion that is deemed dangerous. Basically the U.S. may as well put a giant swastika on its flag and make it official.

Best Answer

I didn't realise it was that bad in the US. Wasn't the Patriot Act some huge tome prepared in the space of a week after 9/11....? Strangely enough, the government here in the UK wanted to rush through some new laws soon after the London bombings which gave them lots of new powers.

Best Answer

Yes, it was huge, so huge I doubt very many legislators had time to read it all. Funny, there were two congressmen who led the opposition to it, Pat Leahy and Tom Daschle. During the (very brief) amount of time it was being debated there was an anthrax attack. Letters with anthrax in them and guess who they were addressed to? Leahy and Daschle. It killed I think five of their mail room workers but the two congressmen never actually opened them. Oh and the other anthrax letter, guess who it was addressed to? The tabloid magazine in Florida that had not long before published embarrassing photos of Jenna Bush (one of Pres. George W. Bush's daughters) falling down drunk. Hmmmm... I wonder who could possibly have been behind the anthrax attacks?

Best Answer

Yes, definitely. I'm not sure why. It's not like I'm throwing a punch at their face.

Best Answer

If you are a progressive and you're referring to conservatives getting wound up the answer is simple: because you're probably chipping away at their brainwashing, destroying their protective cocoon of ignorance and exposing them to the way things really are. Some people don't take too kindly to that because they would rather live in their little fantasy world than face an unpleasant truth.

Best Answer

Every day, unfortunately. I have very liberal opinions in a (mostly) conservative town. I've learned to keep my mouth shut.

Best Answer

I know what you mean.

Best Answer

It really is an unfortunate world we live in. I mean, it's like, "Listen to an opinion at least, for God's sake. You don't have to believe it, but don't start in on it when I've said three words."

Best Answer

I find that expressing myself in real life, and honestly being heard, is something that happens very infrequently. I find that people in the real world don't like what I do, or I say, or anything about me, all without ever knowing me on a level that you could justify such reasoning. I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. I'm not pleasing to anyone's senses. I've been attacked so much, that I just say pretty much nothing at all anymore.

Best Answer

Yes, I find that saying nothing avoids any controversy or bad feelings, but on the other hand, our opinions are just as valid as anyone else's. I try to respect others' opinions, but it seems to be a one-way street unfortunately. I find I'm cutting myself off more and more from people who appear to just want me to agree with what they think/say and get annoyed if I stray from their perception of me.

Best Answer

yes, I can totally relate to that.

Best Answer

Yep. all the time.

Best Answer

Yeah, I can't even mention the Big Bang Theory at school. :)

Best Answer

The sitcom? What's so controversial about that?

Best Answer

I was referring to the actual theory itself, but the sitcom is controversial enough. :)

Best Answer

Is it the teachers or fellow pupils who don't like you referring to this theory?

Best Answer

Other students

Best Answer

Why...?!

Best Answer

A lot of people, all Christians, believe that the Big Bang Theory and evolution are lies. I am also a Christian, but I do agree with both theories.

Best Answer