BloodrayneMonster BloodrayneMonster 22-25, M 15 Answers Dec 22, 2012 in Hobbies

Yes. It's an invention of the Roman Catholic church. It's a pagan holiday. They couldn't get the peasants to stop celebrating it, so they "replaced" (or renamed) it "Christ-Mass". Most Christmas traditions are actually of pagan origin.

Best Answer

Yes I do. It's in celebration of the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Best Answer

haha pmsl lol

Best Answer

co-opting pagan winter festivals to encourage them to convert...without giving up the fun?

Best Answer

the modern commercial version is basically what the pagan festivals were

Best Answer

I wouldn't know. I wasn't there. Personally...I think the practice of giving presents is nice...but people shouldn't go to such extremes. I mean a sweater......makes more sense to me than the elaborate crap people get sucked into.

Best Answer

Yes.

Best Answer

Christ +mass=Christmas

Best Answer

Christmas was adopted by the early Roman church on the order of Emperor Constantine based on the Bacchanalia celebrated at the Winter Solstice by many Roman pagans. It was done as an incentive to get people to join the Roman church, later to become the Roman Catholic Church.

Unlike Tyrrmack, I would not use the term "stole." Adopted is a more accurate phrase. To this day, it is not entirely clear the extent to which Emperor Constantine actually adopted Christianity as his faith. It appears that while partially adopting Christianity and acting to protect Christians and Christian property, he continued to participate in some pagan celebrations and use pagan symbols. It seems to me that he certainly merged the practices of many faiths in an attempt to achieve peace between and among the various faiths and may have personally merged the practices in his own belief system.

Best Answer

Wow. Very interesting. Are you a historian or just someone interested in history? What ere is your favorite?

Best Answer

is that a rhetorical question?

Best Answer

no it needs your answer

Best Answer

judging by the number of good answers here, i'd say that lots of people know something about the roots of the holidy

Best Answer

When Christianity spread throughout the Roman Empire, Christians did not obliterate pagan symbols or celebrations but, out of respect for the people, adapted them to Christian thought or usage e.g. pagan temples became Christian churches and pagan feasts became celebrations of Christian saints or Christ.

Christmas is celebrated on December 25th, which is very close to the winter solstice. Many pagan cultures had festivals (even regarding the sun) around the time of the winter solstice e.g. the Viking celebration of Yule in late December. Early Christians simply used these established, and well-loved, festivals to celebrate the birth of THE Son, Christ.

The American version of the Santa Claus figure received its inspiration and its name from the Dutch legend of Sinterklaas.

Best Answer

it started as a celebration of the northern Inuit hunt of the reindeer and the animals desire to fly away...

Best Answer

It is a pageant holiday in eastern europe and santa is real but they call him saint nicholas who was a real man that gave gifts to everyone and he had a slay of horses I know a lady from holand who celebrates christmas not on the 25th but still in december

Best Answer

Everyone knows. It's been common knowledge for as long as I can remember.

Best Answer

Germanic tribes

Best Answer