And it's not so much that I can't stick with it, honestly it's that I forget about it. My daughter was at the mall last night with her friends and didn't call and check in and I started freaking out and even contacted a mom to one of the friends she was with on FB and when she finally called (and just as I was walking out the door to go look for her) she gave me the old "my phone died" story and I grounded her. She just now asked if she could go to a friend's house and I was going to let her but remembered she was grounded. Sheesh.
terrishaun terrishaun 46-50, F 3 Answers Dec 21, 2013 in Motherhood

i dont my wife was to soft and the kids did what they liked and talked to her badly. It always fell to me to spank and ground them

Best Answer

Yeah, I've been there. A lot in fact. I always thought it looked like fun to be the good guy.

Best Answer

it was hard for me as i was spanked and beaten as a child and spanking them was upsetting but always a last resort if all else failed

Best Answer

That is hard.

Best Answer

i think them seeing me upset by it was just as painful as the punishment i always hugged them after and told them i loved them and they all turned out good

Best Answer

I have no problem with sticking to punishments, though they're rarely required.

But, why does your daughter have to check in with you when she's out with friends?

Best Answer

It's just something I expect from her. And something my mom taught me too. I don't need a blow by blow of what's she's doing but just a hey, just checking in and everything is okay kind of call. She is 13 and has now started hanging out at the mall with her friends. And honestly it's not her I don't trust, it's her friends and what they might talk her into doing. I just want to make sure she's okay.

Best Answer

Well, I certainly agree that if she's told to check in she should and there should be consequences for not doing it. But, I do have a hard time understand the need for it, maybe because my mom never expected it from me. I had a lot of freedom and trust, I just had to call if I was running late.

Best Answer

i'm lucky, my boys don't need punishing

Best Answer

You are lucky. She's really at that age; 13 going on and lucky if she gets to 14.

Best Answer

mine are quiet :) they stay home most of the time, and go out with friends less than once a month. and they're always home in time for dinner :)

Best Answer

This is still kind of new for us and I just want to make sure she's okay. My baby and all that I guess.

Best Answer

checking in is good. for a hundred good reasons i can think of but also for a thousand i can't imagine.

Best Answer

I'm definitely of the school of better safe than sorry. For now. She's got to prove that she can be trusted.

Best Answer

oh it's not her. so many things could happen, and you wouldn't know, for hours. not good.

Best Answer