I believe in the soul and the metaphysical even though I do not believe in god. The details of what came first are irrelevant and can't be proven, so I try not to dwell on it...I know who I am.

Best Answer

I don't think that I have a soul in the religious sense but I am curious about your Idea. Do you think that all living creatures have a soul, or all those with a nervous system, or just those creatures that are self aware, or just humans?

Best Answer

yep, I suspect they do. Just from spending so much time with my dogs the last few years...I can't fathom the idea that they don't have souls. I mean they are not people..but they are definitely distinct individuals. They live in a different reality than we do that's full of smells and such but it's just as valid.

Best Answer

What you guys are talking about is brain activity, not some mysterious "soul" thing.

Best Answer

no, it's not. And there is plenty of valid scientific research going on to work out the nature of consciousness, as many people think they can find a function of the brain that creates it. If they do, they will be able to create real AI, in the same way that nature does.

Best Answer

I personally don't believe in a soul as it is commonly used to mean some super natural consciousness that lives on after you die. But if we are talking about a self awareness, the ability to distinguish between you and me, then many animals have that. and I feel that where you draw that line between self aware and a chemical mechanical automation is a fair topic of discussion.

Best Answer

CarnivorouS - If you read my original answer I clear stated that I didn't believe in your mysterious soul thing. That doesn't preclude me being able to discuss jeanemay's ideas. Just because she is defining soul differently than you doesn't make her idea invalid.

Best Answer

I think it could be what is called God consciousness.Picture an infinite,cosmic God,that is everywhere throughout the multiverse,and is that spark within all life in the multiverse.The soul cries out to God,because it is God within us

Best Answer

you mean like the idea that consciousness is the essence of the universe

Best Answer

yes and when we die we go to Heaven or Hell

Best Answer

what if you're life's ambiguous..do you believe in limbo?

Best Answer

What do you mean

Best Answer

you've never heard of limbo? Well, I guess that means you can't believe in it :) I was just curious if you thought it was that black and white and if you thought there was any sort of in between. you know like a chance for redemption or a middle ground for the ambivalent maybe.

Best Answer

oh so thats what its called i thought i was the only one who thought like that(:

Best Answer

you're not the only one. I
think, lots of us think about this stuff from time to time

Best Answer

LOL, there is no heaven or hell

Best Answer

What meaning does the word "soul" have?

Best Answer

Depends on your definition. I tried to explain what i meant by it. To me, it's what makes you you.

Best Answer

Well, what you're talking about is called "personality". "Soul" is a religious term, and it never gets too explained in any of the religious text, though they imply that's what makes humans different from animals. Animals have personalities too (at least, most mammals do). So, I assume, "soul" is God's term for "Frontal lobe".

Best Answer

I'm not talking about personality but consciousness which is a completely different thing to study. It's like the essence of a "thinking'' life.

Best Answer

Well, then you really don't get along with words well. I know, it's a hard thing to discuss. And what does soul have to do with consciousness, by the way? As I have said before, "soul" is a religious term. OK, you want to talk about "consciousness". Well, you know, if you wanted to study that seriously, you'd have to have some knowledge in anatomy, genetics and culture. I could tell you a lot about how it all happens, but it's just a comment in the Q/A section, so if you want to further discuss philosophical issues like this one, we should, probably, move onto messages.

Best Answer

just because you are not familiar with the usage of the terminology, doesn't mean that it isn't a known usage. I have studied anatomy. The people doing this sort of research would most likely be studying neuroscience. It's not some sort of new agey concept. Just because you don't like religious affiliated terms doesn't mean they can't be used to clarify what I'm referring to. I don't see any reason to move the discussion. It's perfectly on topic as far as I can tell. You are welcome to disagree, if you like. I'm just trying to clarify, that that wasn't what I was referring to.

Best Answer

Don't thou dare insult me. Rephrasing thy words: just because thou art likely to substitute real-life concepts with images thou seest through thy rosy-red glasses, it does not mean, 'tis real. Everything has an explanation, but you, humans, tend to make a fairy tale out of the world you live in. If that's your understanding of life, then it's your own bloody responsibility to cope with it. I am far too hoary to be concerned with what false logic you come up with, so if you dislike me or my opinion, then just say so, without judging how familiar with certain terms I am. Otherwise, you can shove your lousy words up your arse. I am sick of trying to talk sense into humans. Leave me the hell alone and stick your eyes to that wonderful kaleidoscope of yours.

Best Answer

I'm not the one being insulting....I'm just discussing because I think it's an interesting concept, and if you're going to be intentionally offensive I don't feel an further need to try to have a conversation. I'm off too bed.

Best Answer

That's such a complex and subtle question; How can you hope to answer it here?<br />
All thought and consciousness is centered in the physical brain. It can be altered and disrupted by disease, trauma, drugs, alcohol, psychological disturbances, oxygen deprivation, sleep deprivation... any of a host of problems.<br />
According to what evidence does a "soul" transcend the physical brain? By what evidence does a "soul" survive the death & destruction of the physical brain?

Best Answer

I don't hope to "answer" it. I just want to talk about it and see what others think. People think that they have experiences even when they are clinically dead. There is no way to prove or disprove a memory. Science may develop to a state where ideas on this are more than beliefs, but it really hasn't at this point, so I'll go with my instinct. And my instinct is that people across cultural boundaries tend to have the same experiences because this is a real phenomenon rather than a delusion.

Best Answer

My soul's burnt out.

Best Answer

what does that mean? are you blue?

Best Answer