How do you deal with it in public? I usually get embarrassed when I wake up and I dislike it when people are surrounding me. Do you feel the same?
ZappedToTheUnicorn ZappedToTheUnicorn 22-25, F 8 Answers Dec 21, 2012 in Community

i dont have it but yeah i could only imagine the embarassment. ive seen lots of ppl when in attack, but i have never felt its laughable. I can only assume that's also the case for other ppl who doesnt have this condition.

Best Answer

had brain surgery fixed it It gave me alot of stress knowing any second could be the last

Best Answer

damn :( sorry to hear that.

Best Answer

Don't worry you've done nothing I wish you all the best dealing with it and hope things improve for you

Best Answer

I don't have epilepsy, but I sometimes have seizures or pass out. Mine is related to another medical condition that I'm not sure if it was related to blood sugar or something else.

Mainly, I've learned to recognize the very first warning signs and eventually learned to prevent an episode. For example, I mainly passed out with exercise and/or after eating certain foods. I had one episode in my Tae Kwon Do class in 2004, and of course it wasn't any fun, but I was powerless. I went to the hospital by ambulance that time, and when I was feeling better, I remember the medic saying my blood pressure was 45/35.

Mainly, learn to recognize the symptoms so you can act to prevent an episode. For me, that would mean to stop exercising or whatever I was doing, sit or lie down, and/or eat something. I also carry my glucose meter and glucose tablets with me. The most important thing is to make sure that at least one person that is with you is aware of your condition, let them know what to do if you have an episode. If you require an injection, for example, show them where you keep the needle, what they'd need to do (without actually injecting yourself), where to inject you and with how much, and to call an ambulance. Wear one of those bracelets that identifies your health issue as well.

Other than the treatment you do to try to prevent seizures, etc., you can't always prevent one, so if you get them very frequently, don't go out alone, and never exercise alone. If you start feeling bad while driving, pull over to the side of the road and do whatever treatment you have to do. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Best Answer

Thank you. I do often go out alone..do you think it would be better if I just stuck around with someone all the time? Where do you get the bracelets at?

Best Answer

It depends how frequently you get the seizures and how bad they are. If you're getting grand mal seizures almost every day, I probably wouldn't go out alone if I were you. And don't forget to alert your doctors whenever you have a seizure so maybe they can adjust your medications ,etc...but you probably know all about that already.
I think the bracelets are at the pharmacy. I saw some when I went to the pharmacy in the back of Walgreen's, and I think you order it and it arrives with your information on it. I'm not sure. You could ask the pharmacist how to go about getting one, because if you have frequent seizures or a serious condition, you should wear one. Also, they may be sold at places that do engraving.

Best Answer

Oh. Okay. I'll have to think about that then. I'll have to look, Maybe after Christmas. Thanks!

Best Answer

You're welcome :)

Best Answer

Do you have them often or is it a rare occurence?

Best Answer

about every 3-4 weeks, depending on my stress levels. I've noticed that I'd have them more when im stressed than when im not.

Best Answer

yes.

Best Answer

I don't have it, but I imagine I'd feel that way if I did.

Best Answer

Yes, it's very embarrassing even though I don't usually go unconscious. Convulsing and collapsing in public is not fun. It has hindered me in my job too, and I got reprimanded because a customer left without paying while I was having a seizure. However, I don't let people take me to the hospital any more, because doctors and hospitals have refused to take it seriously. I had the worst seizures while I was alone.

Best Answer