It seems almost all sci-fi movies are apocalyptic and the like. And not much original.
Emris Emris 22-25, M 4 Answers Jun 25 in Movies & TV

That's a really tough question. It's been a while since I've seen it, but The Lost Room had a happy ending. It's not the usual type of sci-fi, more of an interesting, and odd story.

Best Answer

Thanks for the tip. Do you mean the tv-series? I haven't seen it.

Best Answer

Yeah, it was pretty good.

Best Answer

Science Fiction is about speculating the possibilities of the future, not about giving you a warm & fuzzy feeling with a strawberry on top.

Best Answer

True, but why do the future possibilities always lead to some catastrophe?

Best Answer

Because they wouldn't be worth discussing any other way.

Best Answer

Of course, there are always risks. What I mean is, it seems the movies accept the worse-case scenario and don't present possible positive scenarios to the same extent, if at all.

Best Answer

Nope, I mean the idea of a good outcome just isn't worth discussing for most science fiction fans. All of the people wanting a good outcome already have their genres, we call 'em: superhero, romance, & comedy.

Best Answer

haha But that's hardly fair, is it? I like sci-fi and don't want to watch the end of the world all the time.

I'm afraid you are right, it's quite likely that the reason is that most people are not interested in a movie set in a positive future. Pity.

Best Answer

I think it's quite fair, but then again I'd rather live in the average dystopian any day compared to most utopian futures.

Best Answer

So many sci-fi movie annotations read like this:

"The year is 2***. Almost all people were wiped out because of a terrible disease / an alien invasion / killer robots / a natural catastrophe / the government etc. The few people left are fighting for their bare survival." :)

Best Answer

No, I don't think it's fair to the genre. The genre's definition isn't a pessimistic one, so why all the negativity? Probably most people and movie studios don't like thinking about the future. I'm curios why would you prefer a dystopian future?

Best Answer

Yes, but there's still choice, the ability to fight and defend, and the human factor of difference. No such concepts exist in any utopian future.

Best Answer

Hm, I understand a utopia wouldn't be dramatic. But maybe something in between utopia-dystopia.

Best Answer

I deleted to edit my lines... anyhow... because dystopians show both the good and bad sides as to what humans are capable of, not utopians. The very idea of a utopia I find repugnant.

Best Answer

Okay, but I'm not proposing sci-fi movies to be utopian. It's the "end of the world" scenario that I think has been over-used. I'm just intrigued, why do you find the idea of a utopia repugnant?

Best Answer

Anyway, thanks for the conversation. :)

Best Answer

No prob.

Best Answer

Fifth Element

Best Answer

I guess so, in a way.

Best Answer

Oh, well I didn't understand what you were asking then.

Best Answer