Looking for real advice and not jokes about schizophrenia 'cos it is not a funny condition.
pulomas pulomas 26-30, F 7 Answers Jan 19, 2011

What do you mean by "deal with them"? Make them less of a bother to your own neurotic world? Shut them up more? Force them to adopt behavior patterns that you consider normal? Or just "make them go away"?<br />
Sadly, schizophrenics have a great value to offer the world that current society, in its fear and loathing of anything or anyone who doesn't fit into a box or category, will never tolerate. Their ability to break up patterns of "normal" thought, introduce abstract and chaotic patterns into everyday life, and offer humanity a glimpse into its own demons (who are usually locked away in the secret closets of the mind), are all wonderful gifts. In pre-industrial times, before society was taught to fear anything that is different and give labels to it like "evil" and "schizophrenic", many of the people who fit these desc<x>riptions were called "shamans", and were widely respected for their visionary and healing skills. <br />
Learn to deal with yourself, and you won't have to worry about how to "deal" with schizophrenics.<br />
>>Sorry you had trouble comprehending what amounted to a perspective of schizophrenia that differed from your condescending view of schizophrenics as people who have "episodes" that need to be "dealt with". While you're busy feeling so victimized and judged, it's a great opportunity to see just how you do the same thing to your so-called "friend". You could try understanding the fact that your take of "reality" is no more valid than his/hers. This is a direct answer to your question, though since it's probably not the one that makes you look good, feel free to continue feeling like people are "judging" you (which in effect gives you some of the paranoid symptoms associated with schizophrenia, amusingly enough...)

Best Answer

Not DEAL with them that way. I'm talking about what should one do when one's around a schizophrenic friend who's one of their episodes? TSK! I'm looking for advice. If it was judgement i was looking for, i'd talk to my family. thank you very much.

Best Answer

Yes. I know someone who suffers from schizophrenia who STAYS ON HIS MEDICATION. He completed his college degree, works steadily, is married and has children.<br />
Edit: As far as I know, the only things the people around him did was to offer him lots of unconditional love.

Best Answer

It was tough dealing with a relative before they was diagnosed. The long diatribes of conspiracy theories, spying, etc, were at first fascinating, we just thought it was crazy ******. Then it became troubling as those around this person didn't know quite what to do when his "stories" according to him were in fact truth, but no truth could be found. Finally, finally this person had some kind of breakdown and was voluntarily committed for help. They did come back around the community, on mediacation and I was one of the few in the family that treated him normal, where others shunned him almost fearing him because he was diagnosed with having a problem. Because a lot of people in this community saw this mental illness as a stigma it did effect this person and they left many years ago to another city. <br />
Anyway my advice if you know a person that is schizophrenic and if they are seeking help and being treated for it, they are as "normal" and you and me. When off medication, my only experience in that is before they were diagnosed, I'm ashamed to say I was dumb about the illness and knew nothing so I guess educate yourself on it as much as you can.

Best Answer

thank you...

Best Answer

my bro, he's on meds and deals pretty well.........happier than most people i know ;-)

Best Answer

is he consistently on meds... has he ever been off meds at any point? and how did you cope with that when you were around him?

Best Answer

barely, he was flipping out and i got nervous so that made it worse for a little bit.

Best Answer

Yes...<br />
NO....um maybe, hang on just a minute...while I confer with the several other... Me's :)

Best Answer

yes ...I used to ....but no ....the voices said to jump off a bridge ...and they jumped

Best Answer