I've always done the shopping but this Xmas I will let my son do it because it's experimental and fun now that you all explained. Thanks.

Best Answer

When I was a kid my mom would give me some bucks and send me into the drug store to buy gifts for my family for Christmas and Birthdays. She never told me what to get. I usually ended up getting perfume for her (she loved Emeraude) and board games or art supplies for my sisters. The occasional gifts for males (uncles, grandfather, and such) were usually shaving supplies, cheap cologne advertised on TV, or car cleaning supplies. Whether they liked what I got them or not, they always showed sincere appreciation which made me beam, which made them happy. It was a closed loop system.<br />
I did the same with my daughters when they were living at home. Gave them some cash and turned them loose. They did fine.<br />
I think kids love the opportunity to give gifts they select.

Best Answer

I think its nice but many people seem reluctant to relinquish control of the gift purchases these days. I think the kids will be much happier having been in charge of choosing the gift and I think it is a good start on understanding what you can get for your money.

Best Answer