TheSquirrel TheSquirrel 46-50, M 13 Answers Dec 19, 2012 in Sports

I miss where bowl games used to be a privledge to go ... what were there like 10 of them and January 1st it was done and over with. I can't remember what year it was but the 1st fell on a Sunday that year so everything was pushed back to the 2nd ... I just thought it was so weird watching the Rose Bowl game the day after New Years Day. The first corporate sponsor I remember was a Sugar Bowl I think it was early 80's it was called the USG & A Sugar Bowl ... I was watching the game and thinking the grounds keepers must have been drunk when trying to spell sugar as USG & A was spelled out at midfield. The Major Bowls were the Rose, Cotton, Sugar and Orange .. the elite teams went to these every year, conference champions or independents like Notre Dame made those last game appearances and it was always interesting to open up the paper the next morning to see who was crowned National champion. <br />
You also knew right of way too when you heard the name of the Stadium where the game was being played ... these days it takes me awhile to figure out who the home team is. Thank goodness there are still some traditions like Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park and Wrigley Field and I for one hope they always stay that way.

Best Answer

It is stupid, when a sports arena is named after an office-supply store. That would be like naming my dog "Safeway" or "Pizza Hut".

Best Answer

money and sponsors dictate what the stadiums / games are called. yeah, the Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, and even Three Rivers Stadium, Candlestick Park, or even RFK Stadium sounded better than Fedex Field or something stupid.

Best Answer

when i was a kid, we went to the "Jack Murphy Stadium" in San Diego. I don't even know if the place exists anymore, or if it has a different name, like maybe "Google Center"

Best Answer

This place ain't for sports talk its for feelings and stuff

Best Answer

Oh, yeah. Well, I used to make myself throw up about it, but I had to stop so I wouldn't hurt my unborn baby. Now I cut myself when I think about it. I'm only 15 and live with my parents. Which is worse, them finding out about the cutting or about the pregnancy?

Best Answer

In my early days, there were only four. Sugar, Cotton, Orange, and Rose. Some of the pre-game parades were televised, usually in black and white. All the games were played on New Years Day. TV coverage often overlapped, but the Rose Bowl was always last to finish. Best team arguments lasted for days. Is it better now? Color TV is the only big improvement I see.

Best Answer

Yeah i miss real name not places named after products

Best Answer

Yes I agree.....its stupid now.......Like the Mercedes Benz Superdome....geeze...!!!!!

Best Answer

Yes, it's all so tacky and commercial now.

Best Answer

Its all about sponsorship now.

Best Answer