My mother keeps on telling me that I have to call a few days after I submit a job application if I ever want to get a job. It makes no sense to me at all. Nowhere on the application does it say anything about calling the place. You give them your phone number so that they will call you, right?
solowing solowing 22-25, M 11 Answers Jun 11, 2009

Yes, most entry-level positions won't even consider an applicant without receiving a followup call. Better yet, show up dressed better than you normally would, and simply say you're checking in on the status of your app. Some places will hire you outright for that last move. When you're older and more qualified for jobs the rules change, but at your age the only edge you can gain is by being persistent and showing work ethic. Just applying at your age tells the employer that you expect the greatest reward (being hired) for the least amount of effort.

Best Answer

They have way more people wanting jobs than you have people wanting you. So, call. Stand out from the rest of the people who just wait for the job to fall into their lap.

Best Answer

I was just hired for a job (that I am totally excited about btw) and if I had not called after submitting my online application and resume, I might not have even gotten an interview. <br />
The position is for a mortgage processor, and my most relevant experience came from when I was a mortgage officer. Because my resume said loan officer and not processor, she wasn't giving my application much consideration, but once I got her on the phone I was able to explain to her why my experience was more relevant than she thought at first. <br />
I went from maybe not even getting an interview to becoming her absolute first choice out of all the candidates she interviewed. Calling after submitting an application (called following up) expresses your interest in the job and puts your name in the forefront of the hiring manager. Most people don't follow up, and in a challenging job market like we currently have, anything you can do to give yourself an edge makes the most sense.

Best Answer

Only if you want to have a snowball's chance...

Best Answer

Well, you don't need to, but if it is a job that a lot of people apply for, calling may make you stand out.

Best Answer

Wait a couple of days, and call. And if you score any type of interview, always send a thank-you note, thanking the person for their time.<br />
And yes, it works. It shows interest and good manners.

Best Answer

Depends on the job/ company.<br />
Some places tell you not to call. If that's the case then don't call. Otherwise, call, show up and ask to speak to a manager, etc. It supposedly can work. I've never seen the fruits of that, though.

Best Answer

Wrong! You have to be persistent call or even make an appearance. SHow you really want a job.<br />
Mother know's best she is telling you the truth. Food for thought!<br />
Good luck on job hunting:)

Best Answer