And felt overcharged. I could practically answer the front door from my bathroom.
bijouxbroussard bijouxbroussard 46-50, F 24 Answers Aug 17 in Embarrassing & Funny

1,450... I hate California

Best Answer

For a studio or one bedroom ? That's where I am; California rents are no joke. This lets you know how long ago that was (1979).

Best Answer

Studio back in 2006-ish? Prices here are why people keep leaving. It's insane.

Best Answer

Too long ago to remember but I think Queen Victoria was on the throne at the time.

Best Answer

LOL ! ;D

Best Answer

I'm on board with reubles. My first rent was $80, split between 2. The house was like a hangout for a villain from the "Batman" tv series. The floor sagged in every room at a different angle. We made it nearly a year.

Best Answer

Oh, lol. That definitely paints a picture. :D

Best Answer

A little house in a rural village that I painted inside and out, rent was $40 a month, lived there about 2 years.

Best Answer

I bet it was really nice, too.

Best Answer

It was a little old home built during the Depression by a country doctor. There were several newlywed couples that rented it out until they bought a home. Had a garden spot and a place for chickens, and we put a wood stove in it to save on propane.

Best Answer

I've always loved older houses and buildings. They seem sturdier, for one thing, and have character, if that makes sense. The Edwardian where my flat is will be 100 years old next year.

Best Answer

We had a terrible windy spring the 2nd year I lived there and a bit dry, I would find old Mercury head dimes, mill coins, and bits of purple glass around the yard and garage that got uncovered. Would have been neat to used a metal detector around that house. There were about a dozen houses and 2 churches in the village, the old country store was closed & torn down before I moved there, another built a mile up the road. Interesting types of people too, made it feel like a village.

Best Answer

$80 a month, and i didn't feel ripped off, a friend of mine moved for a year, and only asked that i cover his electric bill for rent, it was a small house in desperate need of major repair... it really helped me out though since my mom kicked me out because "it was time" which was complete bs, my older brother lived with my parents until he was 26, and my youngest is now 24 and still lives with my parents, i got the boot at 19 and received no help from them whatsoever...

Best Answer

I must be older than all of you. First apartment in CA was a studio, furnished (even dishes and cooking stuff), all utilities for $80.

Best Answer

Oh, my ! THIS is when time travel sounds especially appealing---take one's wages from 2014, go back to say, 1965 and buy a house or two---ah, well. ;D

Best Answer

Ain''t that the truth. In my area of CA you could pick up a nice house for $12 or 13 grand.

Best Answer

$780, I think.

Best Answer

Or was it in the $400s…wow I don't remember. And it wasn't that long ago...

Best Answer

Wait, it was $470. I knew there was a 7 in there. And it was a university apartment so I'm sure the rent was cheaper than elsewhere.

Best Answer

300 ...I think..

Best Answer

1976. Newly wed kids(21&23). 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom. $311.00/mth. Paid $34,000.00 & 1 year later sold it for $64,000.00! & we were on our way!

Best Answer

Wow, that is unreal, considering prices now ! Back then a million dollars seemed like a LOT of money, enough for a lifetime. I don't think it would pay for the building my flat is in now.

Best Answer

A million dollars was a LOT of money back then. My husband has always had a knack for real estate. If it were up to me, I would stay in one place forever. Back then I didn't see the opportunity before me, but I am so grateful he did because it so improved our financial status. He now does what he loves. He is a Realtor & shares his knowledge with his clients.

Best Answer

i can answer my front door from my bathroom too but my rent is now 504 per month studio shoebox apartment as well , was paying 280 for a basement apartment 17 years ago

Best Answer

I paid 1/4 of $400 per month in college. When I moved to the Philly area in 1986, I paid $425 per month. I had a two bedroom apartment.

Best Answer

I paid $150 a month for a beach house.

Best Answer

Wow...I bet that was wonderful, though.

Best Answer

Pretty cool till the first hurricane

Best Answer

yeah thats Kool

Best Answer

Yikes ! Good point.

Best Answer

One room kitchen living and separate shared bathroom was 160 a month

Best Answer

Yes, 160 a month, utilities, furnished, one bedroom. In the city too, area was OK, not bad.

Best Answer

It was around $250/month., utilities included.

Best Answer

200, i think, in an attic......i felt like i was in a dollhouse

Best Answer

I paid $25.00 as my share of a house with three other people.

Best Answer

I paid $180 for that one - $145 for the one bedroom before it.
wow 40 years ago

Best Answer

I paid $65 a month for a shotgun style 4 family

Best Answer

$220 pw

Best Answer