I walked the doggies on a different route . . . a half mile into town to the local Starbucks. Perhaps it's my ingrained New Jersey smugness, but the Florida folks have a different neighborly attitude. Three different people caught my eyes with a hearty, "Hi, how are you this morning?"
HootieBootieInLuv HootieBootieInLuv 26-30, F 130 Answers Aug 16, 2012 in Dating & Relationships

Its amazing how walking a dog can attract people to say hello to you and vise versa. Everytime I have taken a walk on the beach with My mutts people are always saying hello. Never a long conversation but a quick hello, a tip of the hat and a "what kind of dog is that"<br />
And to your answer KT yep I talk to strangers everyday here and say hello.

Best Answer

I'm from the east coast of Canada. I say hello to everyone, even if they aren't perfect.

Best Answer

that is our Canadian hospitality...

Best Answer

Agreed! :)

Best Answer

I've never met a stranger, only friends I don't know yet.

Best Answer

I will look them in the eyes, if they make contact then I will smile and say "Good morning". sometimes I get a smile back, or even a "Good morning" back.<br />
Usually I get a frown. One very attractive Mom was picking out her veggies. I needed some peppers, so I moved in closer than I normally would with a stranger and grabbed some bell peppers. She looked at me like I was evil, so I gave her a big smile and said "hello, excuse me!" Well about two aisle latter she is getting some thing off the shelf and I need the same thing , so I waited till she started to move, we made eye contact, I smiled and said "hello again!" She just frowned and kept moving. Finally, at the eggs, she turns the corner and almost hits me. She see's me and this time she smiles and says . "We need to stop meeting like this" We both walked away smiling!

Best Answer

A tiny chapter from "Life's Little Moments." Makes it all worthwhile. Now, tell us about the fine omelette with the fresh veggies she made for you that afternoon.

Best Answer

OMG! I wish. She was beautiful. I am not sure, but she must have been religious because she was wearing a super conservative sun dress. Not seen often in So Cal. They usually wear Tight Tees and short shorts. She had to be a Mom, because she drove one of those giant SUV's, a Lexus I believe.

Best Answer

Yeah, I followed her out to her car, sort of, she was parked right next to mine. I think I scared the crap out of her. "Why is this guy following me" lol

Best Answer

I don't know strangers either. I loved to go to a store and tell a clerk hello and how are you? I try to catch their eyes, smile at them and then I say........Thank you! I hope you have a nice day. By this time they will look up and smile back at me. I slowly leave and most times they will be friendlier to the next person in line........... Try it! *smile*

Best Answer

Got it! My that feels good.

Best Answer

Yes I talk to strangers all the time. Some folks I will just give a quick <br />
Hello to them. Others I might do a quick small talk kind of thing. <br />
and then still others... the people that seem very approachable <br />
I might strike up a conversation. I like people and I find it <br />
easy to talk to folks... but I try to feel out weather or not a <br />
person wants to be left alone or weather or not they would <br />
like to chat.

Best Answer

Of course everyone deserves a hello. You never that hello might just make someone's day.

Best Answer

I always smile and say hello :)

Best Answer

See reply to Copper Coil below

Best Answer

Yes. I'm from the mid-west, we wave at people we don't know as well.

Best Answer

I do sometimes; if I'm in the right mood. I do it more now that I have moved back to the countryside, because everybody does it!

Best Answer

geez i wish more people would respond to this question.. it is like a ghost town up in here. no one talks to anyone here in la, unless you want to get a beat down. all eye contact is also to be avoided. check you six every 5-10 seconds. watch your corners as you approach them and keep out of alleys. keep your hand close to you gat at all times and never leave your house without your vest on.

Best Answer

Or, better, shuffle along with an unruly auburn beard and hair, a glazed Manson look in the eyes, muttering and arguing with yourself, chapped lips and gooey liquids dripping from the corners and your nose . . . then get in the face of all the smiling, happy cult folks who answered here, breathe your sterno breath on them and say "Hello! How is your Fukking Day!!"

Best Answer

lol.. yes, much better to do it your way!

Best Answer

I do many times a day..you never know just whose day you brightened by just saying Hello...

Best Answer

Simple and great answer.

Best Answer

Of course !! ... always have ... always will ... and to you, Kathryn ... HELLLLOOOOO

Best Answer

OOOOOOOO

Best Answer

Not to every single person. But yes I do say hello to a lot of people that I have not met yet.

Best Answer

I smile and nod a lot

Best Answer

Some avert their eyes and slink away. Other just take you home with them.

Best Answer

"I have no idea what you're talking about".....

Best Answer

I do say hello to strangers. Even though I live in New England where folks can be a bit, harsh and direct, it's still polite. <br />
Welcome to the south. Yes, they are greeters and smiley folk down there. Just watch your back. The smile holds back the angry venom. Being a southerner uprooted, I can be honest about it now. The south is its own microcosm and southerners like visitors NOT implants. There are quite a few colloquialisms which reflect their sentiments but none that are appropriate to say or write.<br />
I planned a longer response, but I'm a bit shell-shocked after having responded to another question this morning and getting my face bitten off by a newb.

Best Answer

Agreed. It also depends on which region in the south. Generalized statements are generalized and never universal. New Englanders are not UNIVERSALLY brash, harsh or direct; but most of us are so it's a true generalization.
I lived all over the South. Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky. I visited all over the south in places I didn't live like Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Virginia... in general, the places I visited, I met warm, kind people with a hearty handshake and tons of food. The places I LIVED, the people were a tad bit different. And I can still hear my aunts lamenting this neighbor or that because, "they ain't from around HERE."

Best Answer

Must still hurt.

Best Answer

I'm over it now. But thanks.

Best Answer

Most of the time. It was a habit that everyone followed in TX, but here in CA people are very unfriendly.

Best Answer

No kidding

Best Answer

hmm, that's strange. I have found the opposite, people in cali are (for the most part) more friendly. That may be because I'm from a place that accepts everyone... well they used to...

Best Answer

I grew up in San Diego, left CA for thirty years; now in Orange county-- people are still unfriendly.

Best Answer

Yes, the place I live in it's the norm to strike up conversations with people you don't know.

Best Answer

It's taken me more than four years living here but I'm starting to warm up and be comfortable with it. I guess me screaming, "LEAVE ME ALONE YOU PERV!" and reading for the pepper spray was not the appropriate southern response.

Best Answer

I know how you feel! I used to live in London, there if a stranger so much as makes eye contact with you never mind speaks you instantly know they have just escaped from the local asylum, so it does take some getting used to.

Best Answer

That explains all the terrified looks when I smiled at people when traveling in London.

Best Answer

LMAO! Dude in London you should never make eye contact with strangers, it's the law! By smiling at people you likely had them absolutely terrified!!!

Best Answer

Stranger Danger :(

Best Answer

ofcourse hello miss

Best Answer