Brieks07 Brieks07 22-25, F 78 Answers Dec 12, 2009

If you don't trust the person you're marrying, sure, but then why are you marrying them?

Best Answer

I don't think people should get married without one.

Prenuptial agreements aren't just about who gets what in case of a divorce. They can also outline property rights in case of death or hospitalization, who pays which bill, how housework will be split up, and all sorts of things. It's much better to decide all of that BEFORE you get married.

Best Answer

if you need a prenuptial you shouldn't get married. wait... scratch that... you should just never get married.

Best Answer

Yes, because **** happens whether we like it or not.

Best Answer

I don't believe pre-nups, post-nups, co-hab agreements to be an expectation of 'failure'. love is great. marriage is a contract. pre-nup is risk management.

I view it as an acknowledgement of a real possibility and an agreement as to how you'll deal with it IF it happens, based on your current knowledge. As others have mentioned, it's not just about finance, it's shared responsibilities with dependents, etc.

Denying risk generally means events are handled less well, not better. Planning gives you a better chance of preventing the emergency and if it comes to the worst, a better chance of recovery. I'd prefer my survival chances in a building with an emergency plan than without.

Installing fire extinguishers, storing your documents in a safe & taking out an insurance policy against your house burning down doesn't mean you expect it to happen, just means that if it does happen, you've got a chance of stopping the fire before it gets big and if you can't, you have a recovery plan in place.

Best Answer

Good heavens, no! Ya gots ta trust in the Lord. Doin' that says ta me ya ain't got the faith afore ya even enter inta the holy bonds a marriage.

Best Answer

Absolutely.

A lot of people stay in bad marriages because they fear the financial consequences of a divorce.

With a prenup, whether you stay in a marriage or end it, you will be doing it for the right reasons.

Best Answer

People talk about it like it's new concept -- it was the basis of marriage for most of human history. "Romantic" marriage is fairly new historically -- previously marriage was based on money/goods exchanged.

Best Answer

Prenuptial is good if you have a lot before you get married and do not trust your impending dearly beloved. However, I would think twice before marrying someone I did not trust.

Best Answer

I think it's a good idea. Some people say that you only get it if you don't trust the person you're marrying to not want your money and it's like you're planning to break up before you walk down the aisle. I look at it the other way around: if you're not planning to break up at any point then why would you mind signing a prenup? There are almost always provisions saying that if the person cheats or does you wrong in some way, you're not completely excluded and, of course, everyone has an obligation to care for their children.

Why is it such a big deal? The things you acquire during the course of the marriage are legally divided upon termination of the union and that's all you're really entitled to isn't it? Why do you deserve what someone had before they met you or why they deserve the things that you had before you met them? It's not a big deal at all and no matter how much trust you have in the person who loves you, how much trust do you have in the person whose love for you has faded?

Best Answer

TO ME ,IT IS NOT A TRUST THING! YES, I WOULD! WHEN YOU ARE AN ADULT--THINK LIKE AN ADULT!! WE ALL KNOW THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES IN LIFE! BESIDES,IF YOU ARE MARRIED 10 YEARS,YOU'LL GET HALF ANYWAY! TO ME A PRE-NUP IS LIKE A BLOOD SAMPLE--IF YOU CAN GIVE BLOOD-YOU CAN SIGN A PAPER THAT SAYS IF IT DOES NOT WORK OUT--WHAT'S MINE IS MINE AND WHAT'S YOURS IS YOURS!I CAN ONLY IMAGINE A SPOILED LITTLE GIRL NOT WANTING TO SIGN BECAUSE SHE IS A GOLD DIGGER! OR DO NOT GET MARRIED!

Best Answer

Yes. Divorce can happen to anyone, and you want to be safe about it.

Best Answer

A prenump is a very good idea 4 couples 2 me reason being when a marriage takes place it is all lollypops & gumdrops but whos 2 say that later on down the line things happen between the 2 of u. every1 says (oh no i love this person were gonns b 2gether forever) & then sum1 cheats or falls outa love witch is very possible. a prenump will save ur butt so that way the other person can take u 4 broke because in a divorce situation the other person is upset & will if they can believe it or not.

Best Answer

Well, here's reality: I was advised by my accountant, lawyer, and banker to have a pre-nup because my fiance' was much younger and I had a successful business. My thoughts were simple: Pre-nups meant you didn't trust the person and you felt the marriage was doomed to fail.

No pre-nup. We married. Lasted over 6 years. Had one child. And he left for another younger girl. The fallout? He walked away a very lucky guy! He never worked to make the business successful and yet came away with possessions, money, and real estate.

So much for my trust, huh? Yes, I'm always glad to spread the wealth! Ugh!!! Stupid, stupid move on my part.

Best Answer

It depends on the circumstances. If a girl/guy has an established business that is doing well. Why should the spouse get half in a divorce. I think that it is a good idea.

Best Answer

Always get a pre-nuptial agreement. Even if neither of you is wealthy there may be items in your possession of family importance that you don't want to be considered 'marital assets'. All I know is that in the USA's legal system if you are a man and a woman isn't willing to do a prenup with you don't marry her. After all... if she isn't assuming a divorce and 'after your money' why would it bother her in the least? It only takes effect on divorce or your death.

Best Answer

if i have children before this marriage or

if i am older or more sickly

then i would consider that.

i would do my best to secure my children's future

Best Answer

Yes, if it a mutual prenuptial and not one sided. More than half marriages end in divorce. The younger you are the more likely you are to divorce before 30. A prenuptial is like an insurance policy, you are insured that you will get a reasonable settlement.

A prenuptial solves a lot of legal problems, especially if it address issues related to children as the result of the marriage.

Best Answer

yes you need insurance if your going to head into a legally binding agreement like marriage.

Best advice is to get married without the legality just have a ceremony between you both ...why do you need to guarantee something that isnt guaranteable ? look at the divorce rates.The non legal commitment will keep you togethor longer than through legal documents

Best Answer

a mutual decision. if both are happy with it. it is ok. I can understand why some people do it fear of being taken down, it doesn't mean someone loves you less, it may be to your benefit cuz some people are very bitter at divorce anyway. I don't ever want to get divorced if I got married. but I wouldn;t feel bad if a man wanted me to sign a pre-nup so long as we discussed it openly.

Best Answer