wasmessedup wasmessedup 36-40, F 31 Answers Nov 28, 2008

I think it can be either way. I think a person may be born with genetics that make him/her prone to becoming an alcoholic/addict - but that their practiced behaviors can prevent that from happening. I also think a person can be born with genetics that have absolutely nothing to do with alcoholism/addiction and become one due to continued abuse of the substance.

Best Answer

One does not become an alcoholic by drinking a lot over a period of time, that may be addiction it is not alcoholism

Best Answer

In my opinion it is a learned behavior to avoid the hurtful pain that someone is suffering. You drink and the pain goes away. You drink more and the pain stays further away. More drink and more the pain stays away. Drinking is a way to avoid the pain you are afraid of facing!!!

Best Answer

True but that person may become a heavy drinker but never an alcoholic. My brother always drank more than me and more often, I'm an alcoholic, he is not and never wil be no matter how much he drinks, he may damage his health and have problems but he is not an alcoholic, he is a heavy drinker and can stop anytime he wants , he does frequently without difficulty, you don't learn how to be an alcoholic, has nothing to do with learned behavior

Best Answer

"He can stop any time he wants" - how many times have I heard that from an alcoholic.

Best Answer

I think that alcoholism is a label that people put on themselves to make them feel better about not being strong enough to quit drinking for the "right" reasons.

Best Answer

It's not a matter of choice and nobody wishes to be an alcoholic, what you are describing is a heavy drinket

Best Answer

There is a lot of research that states Alcoholism tends to run in families and a vast amount of scientific research indicates that hereditary traits play a huge role in developing alcohol problems. Due to the fact that my grandfather and two of my uncles are alcoholics I have to limit carefully the amount of alcohol I drink. I have had some nights that I consumed too much and had I not had friends that stay on my a$$ about alcohol I could see myself becoming an alcoholic. With this said research also shows that a person's environment and peer influences also impact the risk of becoming alcohol dependent. Although a massive amount of scientific research indicates heredity plays some role in developing alcoholism, I don’t believe that family history is going to doom me to be an alcoholic. I think that my mental capacity, my dedication and the loyalty and love of my friends will help me overcome this tendency that is pre-coded in my genetics.

Best Answer

Alcoholism - I believe Its a combinations of many factors, it is how an individual handle, and cope with<br />
the daily life they are involved. Most people have some sort of addiction, smoking, sex, drugs,<br />
even watching too tv, the list is countless. Some addictions is acceptable and go unnotice others are very damaging. I want to say I believe the biggest factor in shaping one behavior, is the kind of personality that person has in the first place. Some people are nice, some are very nasty, then again differences makes the world go around. Myself I'm still facing choses of staying away from abusive people or learning to cope.<br />
I have a realm, that it is possble to learn to develop a insight or skill to transform situation.<br />
Then again it too much energy wasted, and just in for punishment. Sound confuse ?

Best Answer

Truly believes the medical professions do not know enough about it. One can only know within their own family circle of the situation.<br />
In my case, a family of 10 brother and sisters, all drink except one. They drink alot. The next generation, all except myself. Its all I can say.

Best Answer

This may sound strange but I believe it is neither. I mean, so many people turn to such things as say alcoholism because their parent(s) did so but that doesn't mean you have to follow in their footsteps. How can we learn to be an alcoholic? No one can sit you down and say this is how you become an alcoholic, it just won't happen no matter how drunk the person is. <br />
What it all should boil down to is the matter of choice. I mean, self-discipline, self-control is what a person should be responsible enough to choose. So, it's like I said, it's neither or, in my opinion.

Best Answer

You do not turn to alcoholism, nor choose, nothing to do with choice or self discipline,

Best Answer

I believe it can be an inherited trait.

Best Answer

I believe both and neither. Heredity is a factor, but not always a trigger. Home environment, peers and childhood are other factors, yet not necessarily triggers either. The common trait of all alcoholics is an addictive personality. Add to that nature, nurture and one extra factor, be it trauma, abuse, stress & a lack of ability to talk about problems or show emotions and that's a recipe for an alcoholic, or any other addict, come to that. lcohol is the most common because it's legal and readily available & parents see nothing wrong in taking a drink in front of their kids. For the most part this is not problematic-my parents had drinks every weekend and i hardly touch a drop from year to year. It doesn't bother me. Then again, my parents drank in a safe, loving & warm environment and were'nt nasty drunks-things could be different if they were. It's nature, nurture and factor X - when they find this factor, isolate it & find a way to use it therapeutically, they may find a way to curb addictive urges-but not eradicate them. I think sadly, addiction is one of the many universal negative human urges, it'll always be around like jealousy, or greed-it's just a part of all of us. <br />
There are medications available, like acamprosate, which stifle cravings, and disulfiram, an alcohol-blocker better known as antabuse-it doesn't allow alcohol to be metabolised by the body, making the patient extremely ill if he or she drinks. These are effective medications, but they aren't infallible and by no means substitiute will power. They are also extremely hard to get prescribed- you need a referral to an alcohol counselling service to receive the acamprosate & you need to be prescribed the disulfiram by a psychiatrist. Sadly, this opportunity only usually arises AFTER the patient has become so ill that they have been sectioned. Help is available, but ultimately it's down to the individual to ask for it and stick to it. Sorry for waffling, but i know a little about this subject from personal experience-a member of my family is in recovery.

Best Answer

I think it can be learned, either from parents or peers. Or you might just try a drink and decide you like it.<br />
As for genetics, despite extensive research no "alcoholic gene" has ever been identified.<br />
I am an alcoholic and neither of my parents drank except very rarely.

Best Answer

that is a moot point..some would argue that alcoholism is inherent while others might argue that its a learnt behaviour....Me........I think that alcoholics are missing certain brain chemicals and alcohol provides a depressant/stimulant affect.......children of alcoholics grow up in a dysfunctional environment and sometimes this causes alot of physio biological changes in the brain......therefore they mirror their parents behaviour and use alcohol to try and function appropriatly in life.<br />
Although not all children of alcoholics become alcoholics...there is something called the Resiliance factor and this is being researched to greater lengths.Many children who have had the most horrific upbringings paradoxically go on to become very functional adults.Why?and How?<br />
the question that I would propose is what came first..the chicken or the egg?

Best Answer

I have to say I think it can go either way. I grew up with an alcoholic and that side of my family has several heavy drinkers. I know the vast majority say it is a family trait but for me it's not. I'm actually the complete opposite and can't even stand the smell of alcohol. That could quite possibly be attributed to the fact that I grew up with an alcoholic and know the damage that can do in ones life but just the thought of a drink can at times make me feel sickly. <br />
I do however think addiction in general can be a family trait, it just doesn't have to be the same thing for each person. I don't drink but there have been other things in my life that I've thought I needed to get away from fast because I could easily become addicted. Nothing serious or illegal, just things that most wouldn't have a second thought about going without.

Best Answer

ever heard the ex<x>pression you become liek those whom you hang around... its both... its a choice btu it is also a habit

Best Answer

Alcoholism is both genetic and environmental.

Best Answer

I truly think its a combination of both. I think that people who have alcholics in their family history run an increased risk of becoming one themselves. However, heredity cannot be blamed for all of it. Maybe its the home environment where it was accepted, or the culture/friends that encouraged it but it doesn't just start all of a sudden. You don't just wake up one morning after your first drink and say, hmm, I'm an alcoholic. Alcoholism begins little by little day by day. I think that learned behaviors also have a lot to do with it. Many people don't like to hear the words you have had enough, or you better cool it and too many people say nothing when they know it is going on. I am the grand-daughter of an alcoholic, there is a long history of it in my family unfortunately. I don't run from a drink , but I do know my limits and thankfully have a great family to help.

Best Answer

NO, Alcohol is not an inherited thing!<br />
I know many people who are alcoholics, but their parents never drank!<br />
Alcoholism is a disease that should be treated as such!<br />
Is there such a thing as a patch to STOP the disease?

Best Answer

Both. A tendency is inherited, then behavioral situations either encourage or discourage the actual addiction. The question of nature vs. nurture has always ended in the truth: BOTH!

Best Answer

...My understanding of alcoholism is that it is inherited through genetics; but that doesn't mean that if a person has 'the unlucky genes' for this illness they are automatically doomed to suffer from alcohol abuse. There is always the choice of abstinence - and if someone really wants to quit if they have a problem (with any kind of substance) they can do it with the right mindset (and support system). We always have a choice in how we live.

Best Answer

Not true

Best Answer

Both! I believe there is a genetic weakness that can be passed on and I believe you can become an alchoholic without any history of it in your family. I come from 4 generations of non-drinkers, and I love to drink. If I didn't watch it, I could become an alchoholic. I often have a drink or more everyday of the week and have to step back for a few days to make sure I'm not dependent on it. I could give it up completely, but not sure what I would accomplish other than saving a whole lot of money. Back to the genetic trait... I've seen articles from research that states that alchoholism and substance abuse is a trait that is passed through genetics. I have friends that won't drink at all because they recognize their inability to monitor their consumption and have family members that are abusers.

Best Answer

Hi - My name is Tim and I am an alcoholic. I would like to tell you my story. I started off several times like that at AA meetings. Alcoholism can be either or. Bear in mind that alcoholism isn't about how MUCH you drink but about the reasons and the triggers which cause you to drink. Someone who only got drunk on the third of every month might be an alcoholic whereas one who drank four times a week might not be. AA meetings are open to everyone. If you are curious go sit through one. Bear in mind that everyone drinks coffee there so don't bring a cooler of cold brew.

Best Answer