mary049 mary049 51-55 13 Answers Mar 3, 2011

All addicts rationalize everything they do. The ability to put a conscience to sleep is one of the first effects of any addiction. Sometimes a bit of remorse comes with the hangover.....but another drink will fix that. And alcoholics, like drug addicts, are great at faking remorse and tears when they need to.<br />
Think of an alcoholic or a drug addict as one of those people in that old 1950s movie, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. They are not themselves; they are the alien being (the drug or alcohol addiction) that now possesses them. Beware.

Best Answer

Your depiction of an alcoholic rings very true, indeed! It almost sent a chill down my spine while reading what you wrote- It is very hard for me to imagine living my life in such a constant state. It is also, hard for me to fathom a life where I am capable of rationizing in my head that it is okay to hurt another human being. What a lonely existance for sure!

Best Answer

not until they sober up. My wife is an alcoholic, and most of the time, she can't even remember all the rotten crap she does when she's drunk

Best Answer

I am a recovering Alcoholic, and yesI have remorse of my wrong doings. I was drinking to block out the **** things in my life; unconsiously hurting and affecting everyone that loved or cared for me. It took awhile for me to come to the realization that all I was doing was destroying everything. When my eyes opened up and I saw what I was doing; I reached out for help. I haven't drank since.

Best Answer

I commend you for your strength! Unfortunately, there are many who have yet to come to that relization. Which brings me to another question- does something tragic have to happen for an addict to come to that relization?

Best Answer

Only if they are caught. Then it's just to get a lighter sentence in court.

Best Answer

Yes, they're capable, and they do feel remorse, and they feel like horrible people, so they drink to make it go away, and they do something else that they feel guilty about (even if it's drinking, itself) and feel horrible and remorseful, so they drink... and then feel horrible...

Best Answer

How true is that- a vicious cycle! Unfortunately, you have painted a picture of someone who is very close to me. Sad if nothing else!

Best Answer

maybe when they are sober they can

Best Answer

capable, yes, but in my experience, the alcoholic is too involved with their alcohol to give a crap about anything else, and normally doesn't remember.

Best Answer

Yes.<br />
The problem is what they do about it!<br />
Because they may drink to escape the feelings.

Best Answer

Of course. All human beings are capable of remorse. The key is whether or not they do anything about what they've done.

Best Answer

yes. sometimes the remorse drives them to drink. but they can only pull themselves out because them. and sometimes they have to fight the urge to drink being overwhelmed with all they did and everyone they hurt. and go back to self-destruction.

Best Answer

No this will only occur when they admit they have a problem, I speakn from experience I was that ahole!

Best Answer