Do you realize how many people that are in prison that killed someone. and they don't remember because they blacked out. A felony is has its consequences Here in Arizona A second offense of shoplifting is a felony and it can be a piece of gum, doesn't matter still a felony ...

Best Answer

I'm tired of helping people with reading comprehension but here goes. I never said I love drunk driving and I never said there should be no punishment for it. The issue is that violent criminals who actually cause REAL damage are able to be rehabilitated, where drunk drivers who could have in theory hurt someone or damaged something are deemed unable to be rehabilitated.

Best Answer

In Michigan alcohol violations, such as driving under the influence or operated under the influence of liquor, remains on your record for a minimum of 10 years and then at that point it is no longer a part of the record. As for insurance rates, typically they will be affected for at least 3 years after you have been convicted of a DUI/OUIL.

Best Answer

I don't really think of it in terms of which is worse - each of the acts listed, including drunk driving, are inexcusable.

Best Answer

Not the point. How are the others capable of redemption where the drunk driver is not?

Best Answer

Are you sure rape can be "expunged" I thought there is a national registry for sex offenders, no?

Best Answer

There is but that would be a separate search and I'm pretty sure that if they followed the steps to get the charge expunged they could eventually hide that as well.

Best Answer

I've also heard that the info on the sex offender registry is pretty vague. I've heard of people who have been included for infractions like public urination, again not the same thing as your criminal record.

Best Answer

Well I'm certainly no expert but everything I've heard about the sex offender registry is: you don't want to be on it. Seems pretty "permanent" to me.

Best Answer

Rape shouldnt even be listed. If you are driving drunk you could kill someone so attempted murder kind of maskes since but the others dont.

Best Answer

If you are angry or jealous you could hurt or kill someone too. None of this is the point of my question though. I'm not asking if you dig drunk driving, I don't! The point is that a person should have the opportunity to become rehabilitated. The reason I included rape is because it is an unthinkable act to me but our legal system provides justice and for the most part I believe in it. The problem is that a rapist can find redemption where a drunk driver cannot. This isn't the sort of infraction where the offender should be considered unable to be rehabilitated, that's the point. I agree that the punishment should be harsh but not unreasonable.

Best Answer

I agree with you on this subject.

Best Answer

It is considered a criminal offense and a 3 becomes a felony...but even for a one you get <br />
"If you're convicted of OWI you could face:<br />
A $100 to $500 fine<br />
Up to 93 days in jail.<br />
Up to 360 hours of community service.<br />
Driver license suspension for 30 days, followed by restrictions for 150 days.<br />
Possible vehicle immobilization.<br />
Possible ignition interlock.<br />
Six points added to driver record.<br />
$1,000 Driver Responsibility Fee for two consecutive years." That is from Mich DMV website

Best Answer

It is actually still considered a traffic offense, you're just wrong.

Best Answer

It means that they are constantly looking at you. Staring at you. Kinda creepy? No?

Best Answer

Holy Cow, get off your soap box, now. There is, or should be ZERO TOLERANCE for drunk driving, whether the driver does damage or not. The chance was still there.

Best Answer

I'm not defending drunk driving and I'm sure you don't support violence crime. The point is that in the American justice system rehabilitation is the goal. These people have been sentenced to life as a 2nd class citizen without the opportunity to be rehabilitated ever.

Best Answer

No.Its a serious enough offense,but not on a par with the others.

Best Answer