righteouschica righteouschica 18-21, F 16 Answers Oct 24, 2012 in Habits

OMG I have been talking about this since EVER!!!!! Where I live we have a variety of languages. It happened before, I snapped at my colleague, he kept talking while I am setting in his language at the end I was like: SPEAK ENGLISH! What the hell is wrong with you! Specially that they were discussing work matters so it really got me angry!<br />
It is also the other way around, I feel embarrassed when we are sitting within a group of people who do not speak my language (people who speak my language here are very rare lol) and I only have one who speaks it and they keep talking to me in our language while the others are sitting clueless! I tend to reply in English in such situations, I just feel embarrassed and I think it is completely rude, that's why I never do it and I always turn the convo into English.

Best Answer

absolutely...i think it's so rude to make anyone feel like a 3rd wheel, ever

Best Answer

They are talking about you. :p

Best Answer

Sometimes this is true. I was in Italy while the locals were chatting about this and that about U.S. military personnel. I let them finished and then told them in Italian that I agreed with most of what they said and we are not all that way. - - - they looked at me like a deer in stuck by headlights (just staring).

Best Answer

Haha that's awesome.

Best Answer

I believe it is, if it's a lengthy conversation. You're excluding the others in your group. If the friend doesn't speak the common language, you should translate, the same way you would to include that person in the conversation with the others.

Best Answer

Sadly, most of the people I know who do this, don't translate for the other person. I think it's very rude &gt;.&lt;

Best Answer

Yes I do, chica. When you and your friends make jokes and speak in Canadian, I cant understand a single thing you say. I feel so left out - makes me feel like an Ugly American!

Best Answer

If your "friend" can only speak your language, then it's obvious that you will have to speak to them, but not exclusively. If you both know the second language then it's rude.

Best Answer

I think it's rude to expect everyone else to speak your language. If you want to feign that kind of arrogance, have the intellect to know several languages. It's like the people that know cuss words in their brain but pretend not to speak them. Most non-cussers I know tend to have a greed problem.

Best Answer

SO yes

Best Answer

no. i have a couple friends that are russian, and they speak their language around me. I may not know what they're talking about, but, it doesn't bother me. :)

Best Answer

if they are looking at me and talking jib. yes

Best Answer

hell no....

Best Answer

really?

Best Answer

Pays to be a translator :-)

Best Answer