Scientists have been saying for years that we need to come up with a plan to deflect an incoming asteroid. But I've never heard one say we should try different plans to see if they work. Considering the number of huge surprises in space science it seems odd to me that we'd wait to do this until there is one coming. We might only have a few years to devise a plan, build the equipment then send it out. What if it utterly fails?
krool1969 krool1969 41-45, M 7 Answers Nov 4, 2012 in Education

I wish they would sort my haemmhorriods out first.

Best Answer

Probaby or at least a serious study

Best Answer

Meteors have been hitting he planets for billions of years. I think it pretty naive that humans think they can do something about it.

Best Answer

Maybe it's a money thing. If so much money wasn't spent on war over the years and put into the space program we would have people living on Mars by now.

Best Answer

hear hear is not enough for that comment!

Best Answer

Noble but, ultimately, unrealistic ideal. Our Darwinian nature is a more formidable barrier to our potential than almost anything else. Sad but true.

Best Answer

You raise a very valid point. The kind of effort that would need to be put into a deflection effort would be formidable and, sadly, if an extinction level event was to approach the earth, there is every possibility that we would only have two or three weeks notice which simply would not be enough time. Our best hope, in my opinion, is two-fold: 1) we build and install a satellite-based weapons' platform like a rail gun that could react with alacrity. and 2) we invest considerable resources into terra-forming off-world. It isn't a case of 'if' but 'when' and our best hope of surviving, in the long term, is if we get off this planet.

Best Answer