this may sound really stupid to the more open-minded people around here, but looking around, at different social situations, I can't help wondering about this. It's like pretty girls are treated like gods, and the "homely" ones are completely overlooked.
MantisReligiosa MantisReligiosa 22-25, F 37 Answers Feb 1, 2011

The better looking a women does have more advantages and options. But on the flip side, a women who is good looking, and has a lot of men after her; are more likely to end up with a guy who sees her as just his trophy. I went to a 40th wedding anniversay and the wife said in her speech, "Well I wasn't beautiful, and I didn't have any money. So when he asked me to marry him, I figured it was for love." Those who find happiness in life, I believe, are the ones that can look past all the external stuff, and see the real beauty and riches in others. Did that help, did I make sense? Or am I just blathering on, incoherently again?

Best Answer

yup, made sense. I've thought of it that way, too. People who are not especially attractive or rich can be sure that whoever hangs out with them does so out of sincere affection.
On the other hand, those are rare, lucky cases.

Best Answer

"You don't love a woman because she is beautiful, she is beautiful because you love her". Anonymous

Best Answer

yes i do.it is not the outerbeauty the counts but the nner beauty.there is a saying that i am sure you have heard of at it goes like this"DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER";'BEAUTY IS SKIN DEEP".

Best Answer

One name - Madeline Albright - the former US Secretary of State. She is fluent in seven languages and most of all, respected by even the staunchest male politicians and leaders worldwide.

Best Answer

Also a *****,who couldnt be found on any other part of planet,who hate's Serb's for no reason,altough,Serbs risked their lives hiding he Jew *** from Nazi bastards.

Best Answer

Madonna does fine i spouse

Best Answer

she wasn't always ugly.lol

Best Answer

I have observed that women who are not beautiful or pretty can still be attractive. And they can be especially attractive--even beautiful in a way--to the man who falls in love with them. I have certainly known many less than pretty women who were doing very well in all areas of their lives. The secret seems to be in how loved they were as children; it's our families that let us know how valuable we are and when someone grows up with a strong, loving, nurturing background, they can find love and success as easily as the pretty people do (or we imagine they do). If you have not had that opportunity, to be loved and nurtured by a good family, you can still love and nurture yourself until you see your own beauty--then others will find you attractive, even if you don't look anything like a movie star.

Best Answer

It depends on the attitude one has. Its all about the mindset.

Best Answer

It seems as if my friends that were more plain or homely looking have struggled more with issues like fidelity and maintaining a mans interest in romance and sex. However, many of them have excelled in their achedemic and work lives, excelled far above the prettier ones. I think people have a tendency to be more patient and maybe even more kind to pretty women, so perhaps the uglier women work harder and study harder and dig their toes in deeper in a professional environment because they have to work harder to get recognition, and to support themselves. Also, some of my uglier friends have blossomed rather than withered as their prettier pals began to lose their looks, it's like, that is not a heartache that they have to deal with, so perhaps they are more carefree in middle age, and that is always "attractive"

Best Answer

hillbilly, you are also right. Beauty rarely lasts throughout a person's life-it usually has a short life, maybe 10 to 20 years, if you take care of yourself, but after that, it's much harder to be happy and prosperous if you have relied heavily on looks.

Best Answer

Beauty in women is like money in men. Beautiful women and rich men have more options, more power to decide, more control of their destiny.

Certainly doesn't mean that an ugly woman who has a kind heart or a poor man who trys hard can't be happy.

Looks have nothing to do with intelegence, but beautiful inept people are almost always promoted ahead of competent unattractive ones.

Being beautiful or rich helps, a lot. Being ugly or poor is a handicap. But you can still work thru it and be successful and happy.

Whoopie Goldberg and Ron Pearlman are just a few. Bill Gates probably qualifies too.

Best Answer

yes, but if you're a guy, you can at least work to get more money, but there's not much a woman can do to change her looks.

Best Answer

personality goes a long way

Best Answer

Define Ugly?.......that's the real point.....I've met many a physically beautiful women that are actually very ugly human beings

Best Answer

I haven't read through all of the answers because there seems to be a plethora of them. But here is simply a question in response, if our society dictates what beauty is (which is a social construction, but I digress ...) and therefore places a higher value on those individuals who possess said qualities, what would happen if a person deemed as "ugly" in our society is deemed to possess qualities of beauty in another? Your question also leaves out the notion of self esteem and value placed upon said person by their friends, family or other supports. Now as for the success part of the question, success is what you make of it. Is that meaning wealth? Status? Admiration and respect from peers or family? Satisfaction in a relationship? I would suggest that you define "ugly vs. beauty" and "success" in more concrete terms, otherwise you are apt to receive responses that are subjective to each responders' experiences.

Best Answer

success simply means getting what you want. Truth is I think we' ve all seen beautiful women who can easily have their way simply because others get out of their way, as if they are superior and more deserving, or something.

Best Answer

every woman has someone attracted to her and think shes beautiful. So none of us are ugly. Its how we view ourselves thats most important.

Best Answer

Maybe. If you're ugly, employment may elude you (even worse in at-will states). If you're ugly, you will have a harder time dating. If you're ugly, you may end up spending nights going through a downward spiral of dark emotions and suicidal feelings.

Best Answer

I absolutely do, because I am not pretty by any means. I have an insanely weak chin, bags under my eyes, a strange nose, tiny mouth, odd body. My husband thinks I'm gorgeous.

I hold down a good job and have all manner of material comforts.

True, I don't have friends, but that's mostly by choice. I'm an introvert.

Overall, I'm happy with my life and in some ways, am glad I'm not pretty. At least I know I earned everything honestly.

Best Answer

I am 55 years old and ugly. Just as any other person would desire, I’ve always wanted to have a man who would be happy to be with me, but it has never happened. Yes, I have been with a couple of men that, after they got to know me (at work), they liked my personality. But they would never make a real commitment because they were always looking for something better, even though I excelled in all other areas besides looks. Even ugly men want pretty women.

I have not been very happy in life when it comes to love. But I refuse to have sex with just any man because I am ugly. Because I won’t lay down with a man just to have a man, I’m alone. Ugly women who think like me lead lonely lives. But that is how nature planned it. Weed out the undesirable.

Best Answer

Well, you seem to be doing alright...

Best Answer

i think that in the case of celeberties, that being happy and successful is a given. because no matter how ugly you are you are constantly surrounded by people who tell you otherwise. but for your average woman who might be slightly overweight and has self esteem issues, i think they can be successful and happy to a certain extent. Because even if you graduate at the top of your class, there are just so many employers who pick canidates based off of looks. but i agree with some of the people who say that when people hang around the not so pretty people, you know its out of affection for the person.

Best Answer

Sure..........after the good face-lifting:-D

Best Answer

That's a brilliant question although first you need to establish what 'ugly' is. If the answer is not adhering to the aesthetic cosmetic standards of this cultural era then I do believe it is harder for women who do not conform to those set 'standards' it's a pretty pessimistic view but I think the value systems of society are a bit messed up.

Best Answer

I don't think beauty has that much to do with "cultural standards" of a particular era. It's mostly biology.
That's why the women who were considered great beaties in the past would still be considered beautiful today. Just google Lilian Russel. The plump vs. skinny issue or the pale vs. tan issue are indeed cultural, but these are only minor criteria, that don't really have much to do with "attractiveness", but more to do with a certain beauty ideal.
I can guarantee you that most men would go for glowing pale skin rather than blotchy, dry tanned skin any day.
And facial features are the same. Men with angular features, and women with soft, almost child-like features have always been considered attractive. Why do you think Angelina Jolie has become such a huge sex simbol? she is basically a caricature of all the sexually attractive traits a woman can have-huge eyes, huge lips, relatively small nose, big breasts.

Best Answer

forgot high cheekbones.

Best Answer