Yes, it saved hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of lives that would have been lost in the planned invasion (for which chemical weapons were already being moved into the Pacific Theater). More by far died in the traditional and fire bombing of Japan that were casualties of the atomic bombs. The bombs brought a swift end to the war and to the killing that could have dragged on and on.

Best Answer

Well there are arguments for and against, but personally I think the need for revenge outweighed any cogent argument. An old guy I know was a very young pilot flying off carriers in 1945; he told me that in the days leading up to Hiroshima/Nagasaki, they were hardly encountering any opposition when attacking targets in Japan, basically the Japs had next to nothing left to fight with. Carpet bombing by B29`s and Lancasters (the RAF were shipping them out east after the war in europe) would have finished the war anyway but once the toy was out of the box it was going to be played with, and Europe was too close to home for the allies.

Best Answer

Uh yes. If you take the casualty figures from Okinawa and project them onto an invasion of Japan then you come to about 1 million American casualties and tens of millions of Japanese casualties. All that was prevented by dropping two bombs which killed about two hundred thousand people combined.<br />
Ironically the use of nuclear weapons probably saved Japanese civilisation; there's no reason to believe that the Japanese civilians on the mainland would have been less likely to commit suicide en masse than those on captured islands.

Best Answer

iam from the US but i would say yes it was a war and i would like to think we were on the "side of right" and that the decision was not made lightly. I also would like to hear from non US people

Best Answer

I know that every waring faction thinks that they are on the side of right; `Gott Mit Uns` was on every German belt buckle too.

Best Answer

I did say i "would like to think" iam not so stupid as to think all decisions made duting the war were based on goodwill and gumdrops.

Best Answer

Ah, then I need not answer. =)

Best Answer

Haha, I didn't say I didn't want Americans perspectives! Just that it would be interesting from the perspectives of countries not affiliated with either the aggressor or the aggressed.

Best Answer

It does kind of imply that you are not interested in the US perspective.

Best Answer

I just feel if they had the chance to drop it on us first they would have. I do hate the fact that so many innocents were lost to that, though.

Best Answer

One of my concerns is the targets themselves; they were largely civilian targets as opposed to somewhere with a large military presence, as Pearl Harbor had been.

Best Answer

Yes, at the time. The Japanese then were behaving as barbarians. Not just war, but absolute barbarians. OK the people in Hiroshima or Nagaski may have been ordinanary folkes but there brothers, husbands, sons were barbarians. The whole thing needed stopped soon. It was.

Best Answer

a little known fact; more people died during the Battle of Okinawa than all those killed during the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki five months later.<br />
The Battle of Okinawa became the bloodiest battle of the Pacific War. Thirty four allied ships were sunk and 368 ships and crafts were damaged. 763 US aircraft were destroyed. Over 12,000 Americans were killed and 36,000 were wounded. The Japanese lost over 7,800 aircraft and eighteen combat ships. Over 107,000 Japanese soldiers were killed by the allied forces and over 23,000 were sealed in caves or buried by the Japanese themselves.

Best Answer

Most definitely yes.

Best Answer

Yes, it was justified. If they didn't I probably wouldn't be here. My father was on the next boat headed for Japan. The bombs were dropped and they were the first boat over for the occupation of Japan. My father was an officer and lived two years with a Japanese family. There was no animosity. The Japanese people were glad the war was over too. The Japanese people wanted peace and relieved when it was over. I grew up in a home with the deepest respect for Japanese culture and its people. They were being ruled by an Emperor who was God. He led his people into this War. Hiroshima and Nagasaki had factories that were supplying the military.

Best Answer

What did we accomplish? We kicked your *****! hahahaha... No, you think you kicked our *****. Hahahah.... And you actually thought you had caught us with our pants down. This is one message that will get across too all of you not to screw with us again!!

Best Answer

What did we accomplish? look at Japan today, and then look in the American mirror. Is the USA great because it can destroy the world? is that all that there is to show? if so time to retreat and pull up the draw bridge, the world has moved on.

Best Answer

the world was at war.i can sit here and judge their actions,but i will never do it ba<x>sed on their reality!i canĀ“t say it was a bad decision,for we know the consequences,we know it ended the war.

Best Answer