It seems to me that the electorate has outlived its value.
dawinla dawinla 51-55, M 20 Answers Nov 6, 2012 in Hobbies

the entire voting system is retarded. It should be popular vote across the board.

Best Answer

With gerrymandering still legal in the vast majority of states, popular vote should be all that counts.

Best Answer

yes it means we the people are not getting the votes we cast. how can the popular vote cast one guy as winner but the electoral vote says the other one won?? i thought we the people get to choose who we want.

Best Answer

it has never been that way the founding fathers never had faith in the common man

Best Answer

its so damn frustrating

Best Answer

Some did. Some of us still do, in spite of evidence to the contrary ... there's actually a study on it that's been published, majority rule makes bad decisions when voters are given A vs. B options on a complicated issue -- like healthcare for example. Study defined "bad" as not in the best financial interest of the majority of voters.
But I still believe in Mr. Jefferson's "grand experiment" -- his name for the Constitution. Just needs some amendments to repair the voting process.

Best Answer

It happened with Gore before... The Electoral<br />
College is obsolete!<br />
The President is ahead with the popular vote<br />
and the Electoral College. 12:45am est

Best Answer

Didn't seem to bother Bush.

Best Answer

True...but once again the popular vote would have benefited the country.

Best Answer

Yes, but if thousands hadn't been "dropped" from the rolls we probably wouldn't be wondering about the popular vote.

Best Answer

Yes I do. But it's what we do here.

Best Answer

Heartily agreed -- how do we get change past the Powers That Be? Need to fix gerrymandering also, and do something about those TV commercials and robocalls.

Best Answer

Yes

Best Answer

No the purpose of the electoral college is to keep things confusing for the electorate.

Best Answer

The reason that the founding fathers created the Electoral College was because people weren't informed enough to make the final decisions. Now that we have the internet and T.V., I think we're informed enough to just ba<x>se the election on the popular vote.

Best Answer

They're never gonna get rid of it though, It's because California and New York are usually Democratic with a lot of electoral votes. They don't wanna loose one of the only things that has kept them winning.

Best Answer

Umm, *well* informed by TV? Massively overinformed, blathered at, pushed into no-compromise partisanship, given sound bites when thoughtful comments on the really difficult issues come up. The intertubes, same or worse, almost everyone just listens to their own echo chamber.
Don't know the answer, agreed that the EC has outlived its purpose. Don't know how to make it part of a fixed election system, either, not confident that natural error rates and gerrymandering will make the system more representative.

Best Answer

We are completely over-informed! Thank you, I forgot what I was going to say on that perspective while writing this! :)

Best Answer

it has always been this way make a amendment to the Constitution blasphemy I say and we need a lot of it

Best Answer

Agreed, we need a lot of it. Other option is frustrated people tearing up the streets again, bad for business.

Best Answer

They're still counting, it's not a sure thing that Romney won the popular.

Best Answer

I didnt say he won the popular vote, but I do have an issue with this.

Best Answer

Well, we're not really a complete direct democracy.

Best Answer

True, Over 900 executive orders sounds more like a dictatorship.

Best Answer

Depends on who you ask. Liberals cried when Bush won the electoral vote and ***** (Gore) won the popular vote. Hmm I wonder what they think now that situations have reversed? HA not need to tell me I already know. :p

Best Answer

we should rid the system.. unless my person is winning

Best Answer

I do not feel the need to elect persons to maybe or maybe not vote my vote. That is just one reason I do not vote.

Best Answer

No, not really. First of all, for that to happen the popular vote would need to be extremely close with no candidate having a majority of the vote. There is no mandate so theres no real decisive winner. Secondly, on the vast majority of important issues, theres no difference between the 2 candidates anyway.

Best Answer