I have found so much variety in the recommendations doctors or health articles give on the internet and from different people. I just want to know what am I supposed to eat?! I don't want to gain weight, I want to keep my health and not die of a hart attack at the age of 45. I'm 25, and since I was 17, I have gained some weight, I don't like it, but it's okay, I just want to stay this way or improve, exercise, I'm not going to go nuts about it but I just want to know if I should eat fat or not! Is it healthy? Is it not? Is it gonna make me gain weight? What about chocolate? In the winter, can I eat more because it's cold? What do I do?! Wikipedia says: "Detailed research—much of it done at Harvard—shows that the total amount of fat in the diet isn't really linked with weight or disease." wtf?! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipid#Biological_functions
mpmg mpmg 26-30 12 Answers Dec 2, 2011

I don't trust doctors. Some may mean well, but the system teaches them to be nothing but legalized drug dealers, pushing pills at people to mask symptoms, without treating the cause of the problem. Most medications do more harm than good, and then one is prescribed another medication to offset the side effects of the first. I believe in taking natural supplements that work with the body to restore harmony and balance, the way nature intended.

Best Answer

It's scary but I think so too, now the big question is: what did nature really intend? It's not so evident really, for example, milk is for cows! And not even forever, but only when they're young, so why do we keep drinking milk from another species? What about meat? Is it murder? Processed foods? I'm so confused right now, I just have oranges for breakfast and then hours go by... I don't know what to cook, and I can't trust my cravings either, if I did, I'd be having ice cream and chocolate all day... sigh..

Best Answer

I am still researching the answer to that myself. To begin with, fresh fruits and vegetables are always good. I do eat meat, maybe more than I should. Fresh chicken, turkey, and fish are the best. I avoid soda and sugary drinks, and try to stick to water or green tea. Anything you eat, the less processed the better. I will not eat or drink anything with MSG or aspartame, and try not to overdo the sugar.

Best Answer

The quality of the doctor is purely from individual qualities. I had a doctor that "man-handled" me and prescribed medication that I couldn't take... On the other hand, I had another that would have taken over the world like a villain if it got me well. It is true that many doctors are just in it for the title, or the money. It's true that doctors have rules that make them have to legally write a prescription for everything if you say you have it. It's true that "Big Pharma" is an *******. But that doesn't mean that doctors can't do great things; it doesn't mean that doctors aren't the right decision for some people.

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics, I tell you! I don't trust them anymore. Not sure if I ever did. It's not worth risking so much when I know something else works better or is more honest. I suppose the comment about questioning the source is what I'm siding with.

Best Answer

I trust the scientific method of evaluation of various treatments but not the political method. For example new drugs must go through a rigorous process of evaluation including double-blind trials. Many new treatments that appear promising to begin with never become available because they fall outside of a statistical margin of acceptable risk. But when governments cut millions of dollars from the funding of health and community services it is seldom a scientific decision with strong statistical evidence to support it. For example when the government cuts the funding subsidy for a new drug which fully satisfies all medical criteria the excuse used is often 'one of the older drugs will do just as well'. In this way the government is breaking an election promise to fully fund effective health care because it sees health care as a soft target for cuts. Find a weight loss program that is endorsed by a practicing doctor or pharmacist. Not just stocked by a health care clinic or a pharmacy but endorsed by a particular pharmacist or doctor. I think you will be satisfied with the results. I was.

Best Answer

You know about hospital's policy right? It's business! They don't want you to die and they don't want you to be healthy! They want to make money, the longer you need them the better for their wallets =)

Best Answer

I know! It's so horrible, so what do we DO to take care of ourselves when we can trust the professionals? I can't study medicine, nutrition and biochemistry just to make sure what is good for me, what do you eat?

Best Answer

I guess the best thing is when we have a family friend who is a doc and can give us an honest advise!

Best Answer

Oh, that'd be cool... don't know anyone, must advice younger generations in the family to be doctors, hehe.

Best Answer

not lying but def. guessing at times

Best Answer

You're right, there's a huge body if misinformation out there. You can thank magazines for all their low quality information. Some of the best you're going to get does NOT COME FROM THE FDA!

The Food Guide Pyramid is a stupid mistake. They should know better. The FDA really does come across as actually adulterated policies that are bought and sold.

Harvard has much better information.

You're gaining weight because you're supposed to, as a woman. Fat and protein doesn't contribute to weight gain necessarily because of how your body processes the food. However, you eat white carbs with your fat, your body will process your food differently.

Guess what happens if you eat white carbs with your bowl of lard? It goes to your butt. Without your piece of bread, guess what happens then? It goes to your muscles to get burned. Different story.

White carbs cause your body to react, this is how the body works. Your body logically decides what to do with it's food depending on how it's influenced. Wanna pig out and not gain weight? No carbs.

Here's how to control your weight most effectively (follow these rules):

* Breakfast every morning, within 1 hour of waking up, preferably within half an hour.

* No white carbs (no bread, sugar, oats, barely, wheat, pasta, rice, blah blah)

* Eat lots of legumes (this is your source of carbs, will prevent your body from going into acidosis)

* Eat lots of meat

* Eat lots of veggies (This one is a biggy)

* No artificial sweeteners

* No drinking calories, no, none! Your brain doesn't register calories when drunk, so you're just pumping calories into your fat cells.

* Most importantly of all: Pick one day out of the week. Stock pile a bunch of delicious food, any food, that you desire. Ignore all the rules above. Get your cheesecake, chips, whatever. It doesn't matter. For this day alone, pig out. Eat whatever your heart desires, and do not restrain yourself. Throw it all out when done for that night. This way, you won't be tempted to eat it during the rest of the week.

Read The 4 Hour Body, by Timothy Ferris.

Best Answer

Hmmmmm, this is kind of what my mother in law recommends... Low carb, and fat alone... For example, today I had egg, bacon and cheese, but no bread with it (usually have it as a sandwich).. I don't like meat, only chicken, but don't usually eat cow meat. What about milk, yogurt, cheese? Guess I could take a look at that book... thanks a lot Good Guy!

Best Answer

Yogurt is good at delivering probiotics. Other than that, dairy is a domino food. It makes you want to eat more.

Best Answer

there is a reason they call it practicing medicine. when i go to a doctor i usually know the problem i just cant write a prescription.

they keep telling me to loose weight.... aint happening! according to the quack chart i should weigh 172lbs i feel my best at 240lbs.

Best Answer

"Quack chart" I love it.
You know those are inherently flawed. They are based on (old) statistics of how much people weighed when the died, and took the weight of those who died at the oldest ages.
Most people who die at an old age have long, debilitating illnesses which cause them to lose weight when they die. If the oldest person lived to be 109, and weight 172, what was his weight when he was young and healthy? 172? I doubt it! Probably more like 225! Had he not had those extra stores of fat, he probably wouldn't have lived nearly so long!

Best Answer

well it all depends on how you feel! And how tall you are I guess... I'm short so if I weight that... it would be bad. It's different for men and women and the different size we all come in, bone wise.

Best Answer

there's good fat and bad fat.

too much of ANYTHING can be bad. it's about moderation. there's so much yes and no's out there. I know EXACTLY what you mean. I've been obese since I was a child THANKS MOM.. she had money and all I ever ate was fast food.. dead serious.. I'm normal now.. I'm like 211.. I got like a 35 - 40.. body mass fat mahjig.. i dunno.. not healthy.. but I'm tall and well proportioned so it doesn't look bad on me and I don't look heavy.. but I know my heart shows otherwise and it's scary...

I have too long of things to tell you. cause I've been in the health craze since I was 16. basically MODERATION IS KEY. Exercise is vital. Include more veggies and fruit in your life with your regular diet. Eating breakfast is important.. rest/sleep is very important.. cut as much junkfood as you can out of your life. Eat to live. don't live to eat! don't eat when you're bored, depressed, anxious. whatever.. a lot of people eat / snack out of habit.. even when they're not hungry.. like smoking cigarettes.. it's habit.. try to change your habits..

basically fck everything you read and learn and know.. and put common sense in the recipe.. obviously don't drink soda.. it can't be good for you.. obviously... don't eat candy.. it can't be good for you.. a lot of chocolate.. like nestle and hersheys and what not have a lot of ingredients and is not completely natural.. it's just more bullshit in your body.. so don't eat so much, Real Natural Chocolate. is strong as fck as far as caffeine. and rich and bold in taste.. and a lil hard to find. .. etc.

Best Answer

Well, be thankful your mom had money and she fed you in the first place. She didn't know better at the time. Yes, exercise is vital, but, for some reason, I notice my but is so soft! I'm only 25! Really, it takes like 5 years for my but to be like that? I did always walk, not run, not real exercise but I'm surprised, you'd think 25 is young and my body is already so different that in was at 17... Really, my butt is my biggest concern, orange skin... looks like ****. They say to avoid all fats, but then I read fats are good for things like focusing, depression, and I could use some help in those areas... Well, moderation, yes, but when there's no variety, but the amounts are moderate? I eat chicken so often, I don't know what else to eat, I don't like red meat.

Best Answer

running.. running and squats helps ur butt. the orange I have no idea :l too much carrots? yes it can actually change your skin orange. omega 3 fats are very good for you, it's in fish mostly so add fish to your diet. :] It's unfortunate you don't like red meat. Lean red meat can be good for you.. at least once in a month or something. :l

Best Answer

I think the answer is in the sources. Its not uncommon for articles to say things like 'new research shows' or 'experts have found' but once you dig deeper you find out the source is some late night TV self help tard with bad hair. I always check out a health trend in wikkipedia before moving to far into it.

Best Answer

Smart...

Best Answer