Without knowing how this chromosone deletion affects the child, all I can suggest is that the throwing serves some purpose for him....entertainment, emotional release, or even just enjoying how to use the motor skill. See if you can figure out why he does it. Maybe he can sense the emotional response from the others in the house when he breaks something. He gets something out of the behavior.<br />
By all means, ask some of the experts he has already seen, what can be done about this. Talk to new experts.<br />
In the meantime, if he's able to learn, see if you can teach him something new, in order to replace the behavior with a move acceptable one. Tossing bean bags at basket, banging a drum, pushing a toy car around, etc. It will probably take a lot of time, and you may have to sit there and do the motions for him by guiding his hand.

Best Answer

You sound as if you have a lot of experience dealing with children.

Best Answer

Yup. It's my profession.

Best Answer

My kids are 2, 4, 5 & 9. <br />
Once upon a time, they threw something once. They know better now including my 2 year old. There is no throwing, tossing, or launching anything in this house ever, I don't care if it's a swab of cotton. In order to prevent an unwanted action you have to limit anything that can contribute to it.

Best Answer

he also has a chromosome deletion...only child in the world ever diagnosed with this particular deletion. He is nonverbal and timeouts, removing his favorite toys does not upset hi. He does not comprehend it. And does not understand. As for discipline...you do never spank a child with severe brain issues. Please don't judge...just looking for some answers.

Best Answer

Well that's information you left out in your question! In your situation, your hands are kind of tied and may need professional guidance. My brother, born deaf was treated as if he could not comprehend anything by my parents. So discipline was something he was immune to. He eventually got the do's and do not's....but not after breaking everything I loved first! lol
Good luck and I wish him well!

Best Answer

YOU STOP IT! IT'S CALLED DISCIPLINE!<br />
I've had one child who wrote on the walls at 4 yrs old and after having to literally PAINT THE WALL - she never did it afterward! It actually scared her to the point that she was never much of a disciplinary problem after. Another thought she would throw a fit at her granny's table until I knocked her away from the table after she hit her granny's hand yelling out, "I'm talking". I know many don't believe in hitting a child and I don't either because I was physically abused but I popped her mouth before the thought even had time to cross my brain. It was almost instinctual. She went backwards away from the table and the shock and awe of being disciplined over it scared her to the point that she never again hit anyone nor did she act out anymore. <br />
As for your thrower, you need to start making this child work in the house to pay for the television and constantly remind him/her that throwing will result in a time out and if they get out of that chair in a specified area, you put them right back in that chair as many times as it takes for as long as it takes until they are in that chair for 1 minute per year of age. If you can't have a spouse to back you up, then that spouse needs to hit the curb because it's easier to control a 5yo thrower than it is a 15yo whose throwing punches at you! <br />
While I do not ordinarily agree with spankings but only b/c I suffered abuse and I somewhat believe that hitting a child will allow them to think it's okay to hit, I am not above smacking a backside if I catch them in the act of misbehaving esp when it comes to something as pricey as a flat-screen television! <br />
You need to get a handle on this situation and in a hurry. One of my best friends who is like a sister to me had a son like that and I kept telling her that if she didn't get a handle on him, he would be hitting her when he was 15 vs 5. Well, it happened and she had no choice but to have him taken into the juvenile system to teach him a lesson. He is as straight as an arrow now and he is in the military doing well. Her youngest could do with more discipline but I can't pressure her into making the changes needed; she will have to live through them all over again and I hate it b/c she doesn't need the stress, especially now after having recently been diagnosed with two autoimmune diseases. She is in the early to moderate stages whereas I have three autoimmune diseases plus blindness and mine have been in the moderate to severe stages for yrs. I'm thankful our kids got the message early. <br />
It's amazing how her boys NEVER acted up in my house but then again, I put my foot down the moment they stepped through the threshold then backed it up after their mom left & never had a problem since in subsequent visits & sleepovers - even extended ones like when she & her DH went on a 2nd honeymoon for their anniversary. The boys were angels here; I'd expect nothing less.

Best Answer

First, get him checked out. Saw a program about child schizophenrics -very scary and sad. If all is well put some energy into disciplining the little bugger. He's the little person-you're the big ones, get it?

Best Answer

trust me...he has been seen by every type doctor imaginable. Schizophrenia has crossed my mind but docs say all the issues are being caused by a major chromosome deletion..only child in the world ever diagnosed with this deletion. He is on so many meds it breaks my heart.

Best Answer

That's very sad . I feel so bad for you. I'm sure there's help for him out there-just a matter of finding it. I pray you will soon. I'm sure he doesn't mean it.

Best Answer

My heart goes out to you, how hard this must be as a parent. I really trust you find the help you need.

Best Answer

Wow at 5 they're still throwing stuff , it needs to be said that you need to either start disciplining or get the child looked at by docs . <br />
How are they at school ? That's a huge indicator .

Best Answer

He is disciplined by timeouts, but he doesn't understand it. He doesn't cry, get upset or anything. He has a major chromosome deletion and docs feel this is causing all the issues. He is the only child ever diagnosed with this particular deletion.

Best Answer

Take something he/she really likes, keep it away from him/her and ask him how he feels if that thing were never given back to him/her. Then say you are keeping the 'thing' for 3 days and if he/she is good they will get it back.... this isn't mean it's a life lesson

Best Answer

we do take away his toys, but he will always find something else to throw. He also has a major chromosome deletion and docs feel this is causing all the issues. He is the only child ever diagnosed with this particular deletion. Timeouts and taking away his favorite toys don't upset him.

Best Answer

Good Lord- He's 5- He should know right from wrong by now. I have 5. Character is formed by 3. Let the time-outs begin!!

Best Answer

we do timeouts!!! He also has a major chromosome deletion and docs feel this is causing all the issues. He is the only child ever diagnosed with particular deletion. Timeouts don't upset him. He doesn't understand...he is totally non-verbal.

Best Answer

Has he been screened for Autism

Best Answer

yes..he has autism...but he also has a major chromosome deletion, only child in the world ever diagnosed with this issue. We are at a loss as to what to do. He is a very loving little boy.

Best Answer

If you have saught all the medical intervention available I can only suggest safeguarding the home so he isn't hurt. God bless you all

Best Answer

I hope yours will outgrow it. I had four kids. One was a thrower. She is now 46 years old, and she still throws stuff. But, now it is her own stuff gets broken when she does it.

Best Answer

sounds like you are the only sympathetic person who understands this. He also has a major chromosome deletion...only child in the world ever diagnosed with this deletion. Chose you as best answer. Thanks

Best Answer

Thanks to you.

Best Answer

Personally, I think the doctors are simply giving you a way out b/c a chromosome deletion is easier than saying: Discipline your child!
What do you plan to do when your child is an adult &amp; he's throwing chairs and taking the lives of people or grandchildren in your home? Are you going to allow that to happen too?
I've known children who have had their way and they are obnoxious little ***** that nobody wants to be around b/c the parents can't come to some disciplinary arrangement then stick to it.
Hell, Helen Keller couldn't speak nor talk nor hear yet she learned discipline. Perhaps it's time for you to turn your child over to someone who can discipline him rather than allow someone in your home get hurt badly and leave you responsible for their medical bills when the excuse of "my child is the ONLY KID IN THE ENTIRE WORLD WITH A SO-CALLED CHROMOSOME DELETION" because no judge is going to buy it and you will be desolate and without a home or a vehicle and will never have anything b/c medical bills are not cheap when you're having to pay for not only the medical bills but pain and suffering as well.
You need to take charge of this child before he turns 15 or 25 &amp; takes your life b/c he wasn't taught the difference between what is acceptable or unacceptable.

Best Answer

NO
My child does not throw things nor do I remeber my daughter ever throwing anything she was a good child
Thats possible ya know to have children that are pefect. Its you the parents that make that possible its there enviroment if you create and raise them in an enviroment were theres loe peace discipline and Lord reigns they will be good children automatically not have to struggle or rip your hair out they are reflections of you

Best Answer