There have been plenty of times when both of my parents have felt pity on themselves. I tell you, it's quite annoying. My mother has raised us alone since I was 6 (when my step dad left us, when I say left us, I mean literally. Like no big fight or anything, I went to sleep and when I came back he wasn't there) My mom has a lot going on for her typically, she has every right to complain now and again. Sometimes though, she just complains for no reason. I don't know how to handle it, especially when she complains about me. You know how we all complain about things to our friends. Well my mom says I'm her only true friend and when she needs to vent, I listen. But sometimes, she complains about her parenting difficulties with me, TO ME. As if I wasn't her daughter, I was just her friend. Idk how that even works for her. Anyways, can you relate? Any funny self pity stories about your rents?
justmeIguess2 justmeIguess2 16-17, F 4 Answers Feb 19 in Parenting & Family

No, my parents very much believe that a person should take responsibilty for their actions and choices made. There are a lot of people who have it much worse than you. Feeling sorry for yourself was never received well. I think it's the Irish Catholic in them.

Best Answer

I'm confused by several statements you just made.
1. "There are a lot of people who have it much worse than you."

Are you referring to me? Because if so, it's irrelevant and unnecessary. There are so many people in the world dealing with much more complicated and vital things in their life, so yes, in comparison my problems are petty.

2. How do you mean feeling sorry for myself wasn't received well? Who received it that didn't take it well? This isn't about me feeling sorry for myself. It's about my mother.

3. Irish Catholic in whom? Because I, nor my family are Irish Catholic.

Best Answer

You asked about 'your parents' and 'can you relate' so I answered about my parents and myself not you.

Best Answer

Well perhaps referencing your parents instead of me directly would have made it understandable.

Best Answer

Yep. I don't want to get too much into the details but I was raised by one parent from birth and we've always had a different relationship, I'm the daughter and friend to a father and friend. It works well for us usually, though there are times when I wish he'd just be a parent. But I appreciate our special bond. I don't know what I'm going to do without him someday.

Best Answer

I know for fact my parents do and I remind them everyday why they should.

Best Answer

lol. Why is that?

Best Answer

Looooonnnngggg Stooooorrrryyyy.

Best Answer