My current job does not allow breaks except for a lunch break (off the clock). This is the first company that I've ever worked for that hasn't had a morning and afternoon break time. They used to be smoking breaks, but no smoking is allowed at most places these days.
LoneBlogger LoneBlogger 51-55, M 18 Answers Jun 14, 2012

Some states have added labor laws but this is the basic : ½ hour, after 5 hours, except when workday will be completed in 6 hours or less and there is mutual employer/employee consent to waive meal period. On-duty meal period counted as time worked and permitted only when nature of work prevents relief from all duties and there is written agreement between parties. Employee may revoke agreement at any time.<br />
An employer may not employ an employee for a work period of more than 10 hours per day without providing the employee with a second meal period of not less than 30 minutes, except that if the total hours worked is no more than 12 hours, the second meal period may be waived by mutual consent of the employer and employee only if the first meal period was not waived.<br />
The Industrial Welfare Commission may adopt working condition orders permitting a meal period to start after 6 hours of work if the commission determines that the order is consistent with the health and welfare of the affected employees.

Best Answer

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/meal.htm sorry should have just put this in : )

Best Answer

I thought they did.

Best Answer

I was just arguing with a friend that said they are required by state law to provide breaks.

Best Answer

Everywhere I have worked they had that rule...in Rhode Island I believe it is a law.

Best Answer

Here the law says if the provide a break, it must be paid.<br />
So many dont provide breaks, but they usually are always hiring too.

Best Answer

I'm thinking it depends on the state. I know federal contractors do.

Best Answer

yes, here in Michigan, we get a 15 min break per 4 hour period! Thank God

Best Answer

the simple thing to do is to file a anonymous report to your local labor board...

Best Answer

Not sure about U.S., but here in Canada, we were ticked off because this is the first place any of us have worked that has a 10 minute coffee break instead of 15. When we went to ask about it, we found out that the employers here don't have to give us coffee breaks at all.

Best Answer

Yes however there are exceptions. I've worked in group homes and we did not get breaks.

Best Answer

I live in Tennessee, and there are certain types of businesses that are exempt from that law. I worked at a gas station and we got no official breaks at all. We had to eat standing at our registers (humiliating and good for indigestion), and I don't smoke, but the other girls had to sneak out back for quick smoke breaks. <br />
I think it's ridiculous- every type of job should get breaks.

Best Answer

maybe in some union contracts other than that no

Best Answer

No

Best Answer

Not to my knowledge if you are a nursing mother it is a different story but I think for 10-15 min breaks that is up to the employer I know mine does, and we have to clock out for lunch too which is totally bogus trying buying a car and when they ask you if you work 8 hours you say no I work 7.5.

Best Answer

I don't think legally they have to. I don't think they legally even have to give you a lunch break unless you work a full 8 hours, but I'm not sure of that.

Best Answer

Thay isn't true...not here. I remember when I worked part time and my break wasn't the same time every day- I would get in trouble if I worked over 4 hours and forgot to take my break.

Best Answer

That*

Best Answer

they dont

Best Answer