enhanced driver's license is in place of a passport, by driving means only. am going to be upstate ny & want to go to canada, & don't have a passport.
xyourxonlyxstarx xyourxonlyxstarx 22-25, F 10 Answers Jul 7, 2011

The following states are issuing this type of WHTI-compliant document: Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington. Only EDL's from these states can be used to cross by land from Canada or Mexico.

You can enter Canada with a regular driver's license and birth certificate, however, you technically need an EDL, Passport/PP Card, or Nexus Card to reenter.

If you happened to enter Canada and try to return with only your driver's license and birth certificate, you will get a lecture and some finger pointing by the US Inspector, but they WILL let you back in as per law.

Best Answer

NJ does not have the "enhanced drivers license" at least not yet

Best Answer

What is an enhanced driver's license?

Best Answer

Best Answer
Best Answer

Oh. I have never heard of NJ doing that, but you should just call Motor Vehicle and find out for sure.

Best Answer

I live in NJ and as far as I know there is no such thing as an enhanced driver's license here. As far as I know if you want to go to Canada you're required to present a passport to cross the border. It doesn't take that long to get one so you should look into applying.

Best Answer

i'm trying to find out. one dmv said yes, they have it here. the other said no. haven't had better luck online either. but yes, a edl is another acceptable form to enter canada.

Best Answer

Well, I'm not sure; but I am from NJ, and I've never heard of such a thing.

Best Answer

What class and/or endorsement are you wanting to get?

You can get a visitors visa from here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

Edit:you may also obtain a NEXUS card in place of a passport.

Best Answer

Not sure about "enhanced" (or, even, what that is), but you could go for a commercial driver's license of some sort.

Best Answer

No you can't doctor up your drivers license photo, everybody looks bad in those pics.

Best Answer

Your NJ license can be enhanced with various endorsements including passenger, hazmat, air brakes, tanker, and Class A, B, or C (A is trailer, B is Dump or Tandem straight body, C is standard motor vehicle used for commercial purposes)

Best Answer

Check it out on Google.

Best Answer