Had to move here for my husband's career and I feel like I slid back into the worst parts of the last 3 decades in this country.
frustratedinwv frustratedinwv 31-35, F 45 Answers Apr 17, 2012

I've lived in West Virginia for three years now and am only now meeting some people I'd regard as friends. For most of my experience here, however, the people are largely cold, cliquish, backstabbing, uninspired, and unmotivated. Unless your family goes back generations in the state, no one has time for you or your input. People live for the status quo, they quit without reason, and they interact with sharply passive-aggressive behavior with even those they consider close. There's nothing to do because that would require some vision, which is threatening to the way things have always been done.

Best Answer

When I graduated fromNCSU 2 years ago I applied for internships and jobs in all over the US except west Virginia. Why? In Raleigh /Cary NC I used to install dish services for living, and honestly, Yankees are the best by all mean followed by Canadians, but god oh god, whenever I saw a west Virginian tag in the front of a house, I knew that's a miserable job waiting for me. Its was not a hygiene issue or the lack of education. Nor it was a money wise problem, but rather the attitude and the rude personality they have. I'm by the way not generalizing here but I'm just being honest (My 2 cent from a green card holder who doesn't belong to the south nor the north)

Best Answer

And WVians LOVE the Carolinas! It's like God's country to them! They move there in damn droves!! Then wonder why true Southerners hate them.

Best Answer

I have lived here 15 years after having lived in PA, MD and DE and I have never been around so many people that hate everything and everybody not from WV. They are the rudest, most arrogant people I have ever been exposed to. This state exists only because of Federal money but they continue to tout how fiscally responsible they are . It's easy to be fiscally responsible when someone else is paying your way.

Best Answer

I grew up in West Virginia. I am from Clarksburg. I now live in New Mexico. The biggest problem with natives not being friendly is the visitors. Stop treating us like, and calling us, dumb, ignorant, stupid, or any other stereotype you have heard about us in fiction novels and movies, and maybe we'll like you. We do wear shoes, we do have teeth, we don't live anywhere near Richmond...and BTW, Bridgeport, the next town over from you, tests in the top 1% in standardized test. It's not a problem with education...it's a problem with jaded perception...

Best Answer

Seriously? You can't even go to NM without dealing with a person from WV?

Best Answer

By all means, please keep telling people how rotten the place is, so us true West Virginians can enjoy our life here without outside interference. The roads go both ways, if you are that miserable here, leave.

Best Answer

Agreed. But please follow through and quit moving to the Carolina's and TN and fouling up the place.

Best Answer

A "True West Virginian" Well now, that's something to be real proud of isn't it? That's like winning a trophy at a rhubard pie eating contest. A real honest to goodness monumental achievement. Let me be the first to congratulate you for being a lifetime honorary member in good standing, of the most ignorant, most socially prejudice, and completely morally bankrupt CLAN, that ever doth walked the Earth!

Best Answer

I love West Virginia, but visiting is not the same as living there. Having said that, I have loads of relatives and friends who live there and also love it. Still, I feel for you. There are places I have lived that I never want to see again except to tell the kids "See that? Don't ever live there."

Best Answer

I love West Virginia! I have been there for work a number of times and the people are very good! I can not live in the state because I do not like cold weather, but it's so beautiful, the mountains, the rivers. I hope to one day go fly fishing and ride on the New River and the Kanawha River.<br />
I travel a lot around the country because of my job. West Virginia has best people in all the country. Go there and see for yourself.

Best Answer

Thank you.

Best Answer

I moved here from Pittsburgh, and have lived in rural parts of AZ and MS----Wv is so depressing, people ehre think they are so friendly and they are actually very unkind. I came here with an open mind, but the lack of education, and the "keep to yourself, don't be kind to strangers" is very hard for me coming from Pittsburgh, which is a very friendly city. It is not snobbery, WV, partiularly the southern parts, are just full of mean, mean, mean pill-popping people who have no idea of speaking up for others or even themselves and they accept the status quo.

Best Answer

It is all relative, but where in Pittsburgh is it redneck? Shadyside? Squirrel Hill? East End? All those redneck first generation immigrants? The burgh may have white trash but rednecks...no way I was born and raised there , 40 yrs; no place is perfect but Philly is hardcore mean, Pgh is more midwesty, but people from WV tend to think the areas below Pittsburgh like Washinton, PA or the boonies by Uniontown are Pittsburgh; regardless, you show the black and white thinking prevalent in southern wv; and people here were so screwed by mining companies they are mean to strangers. It is the rudness as you show I dislike, but also, what non WV see as rude is often them misunderstanding that someone ahs manners, etc, it is very different in Appalachia, and the education at times breeds ignorance; it is not that they are inferior, but there truly is inbreeding in places like Pochahontas; Pgh is not Xanadu or Nirvana but good God peeps give u a break and Pgh can be white trashy but redneck? puleaze....most Pittsburghers don't know what a riding mower is, the MAJORITy and this is a fact, have a bachelors and the social organizations and gov is less corrupt. Perfect, hell no , but at least other countries rank it 1 in usa.

Best Answer

Pill popping? Seriously please someone come to Mingo County and say that ****. Like I said, before you even finish your sentence you will have a gun pointed to your head.

Best Answer

I wish you would fix your spelling, and you say lack of education comes from West Virginia.

Best Answer

White trash. Let us know when you move to the Carolinas.

Best Answer

Now "THAT" makes the most sense of any statement that I have read on here thus far. Of course they will pull a gun on you and point it at your head in West Virginia. This is the way in which uneducated, and ill minded folks behave. They use guns and intimidation to get their point across, for lack of any vocabulary resources, or the ability to iterate a meaningful response. They are clearly intellectually limited, and of a neanderthal mentality. By virtue of a complete inability to communicate with others, they resort to barbaric means to win an argument. This type of primitive behavior can also be observed and experienced amongst a congress of Baboons, in the wild jungles of Africa. This just speaks volumes about the primitive "Ape" like behavior of the typical West Virginia Clansman.

Best Answer

I love your state dear!i have a friend in Lenore :)

Best Answer

West Virginia is one of the most horrid places I have ever lived in my life, I am a student there and let me just tell u.... Sometimes I feel like I am living in a dream! I do hate poverty :( but my goodness, I see women without bras, cigarettes in their mouth pushing their infant in what looks like a baby doll stroller to cvs! u wouldn't believe all the calf tattoos! Ohhhh calf tattoos on obese people, who sit in chain restaurants and think they are out on the town, these people need 5 sides of ranch dressing for a delicate... Iceberg lettuce salad... Consisting on lettuce loads of cheese and bacon and croutons!!!! If u are ever considering moving here for work, think again! take the pay cut.... And learn from me! I have 2 years left and I pray I never have to get anywhere this poor poor state..........

Best Answer

Hopefully you left this year, no one from West Virginia wants a snob in our state.

Best Answer

We also don't want you in the South.

Best Answer

I' ve been stuck here for 19 years and I know exactly what you mean and are experiencing. I've tried to leave but keep getting sucked back into this 3rd. world country. It is like I'm in a TWILIGHT ZONE episode where the person cannot seem to leave the town. I hope for your sake that you are not still living in WV, but if you are, have you been called a "Farner" yet? The weather here also sucks in the southern part of the state. It rains an average of 3 out every 5 days here. Be glad you live closer to the PA line as it seems to have a little better weather in the Clarksburg area. Also be thankful for the Italian heritage there as you should be able to find real Italian restuarants. There is absolutely no cultural diversity in my area unless you count the few Japaneese executives at the Toyota plant or the few Mexican families that have recently opened restaurants. All Scottish or Irish it seems. I must be the only Filipino in the state of west virginia.

Best Answer

Go to Greenbrier county Wv, their are plenty of Filipinos

Best Answer

Your traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of hicks and rednecks, but of inbreds. A journey into a ignorant land of clannish arrogance. At the signpost up ahead your Next stop.... the West Virginia Zone!

Best Answer

Not all of us are hicks, rednecks, and inbreeds. I mean seriously, inbred sounds like you're talking about cats, we are human beings too.

Best Answer

By God West V.a is not a fun place to live if you like to do fun things. The state has no diversity with it's whopping 1.8million people (sarcasm). The state is also one of the fattest, poorest, and poorly educated in the entire country; so that is WV in a nutshell.

Best Answer

I have been living in West Virginia my entire life and let me tell you, West Virginia is in no way you portray it. There are plenty of fun things to do in West Virginia. I live near and ice rink, two very nice, large public pools, several parks, you can go fishing, I live right next to an extremely nice resort, there is always some kind of event like a festival going on, and you can go boating on the rivers, or even fishing, and there is Pittsburgh an hour from where I live, and plus there are many shopping places. Plus, West Virginia is #2 poorest in the country, but that doesn't we are all living on the street, my father is a Lawyer and my family lives comfortably, in a fairly large house, as well as most of my neighbors, and my aunt, being an OBGyn makes over $450,000 a year, probably at least 4- 5x more than what you or the average American makes. And we are only in the 30s for education, Arizona being number 50, and many of us are highly educated. I have probably about a dozen family members in the medical field, a family friend of mine just got excepted into Harvard, and sure Some of us may not be educated but many of is are. And as for being the fattests, yes we are number 3 but we are not all fat. I'm 14 years old, and only weigh 110 pounds, some of us are I fact over weight, very few of us being obese, and most of us are just normal weight. Just remember that WV is a lot different on the outside looking in, it's full of stereotypes, maybe spend more time here and you would know.

Best Answer

What you are stating is the exception. The response below is the person you, or child in school, are much more likely to encounter.

Best Answer

Yeah, we also have some of the most famous people from here. Sounds like your jealous of our state. You come down here to Mingo County and say that to someone I guarentee you will have a gun pointed to your face before you even finish your sentence. You wouldn't last in the country. Where God is most important and no one cares about having a lot of money.

Best Answer

You say having a gun in your face like you're proud of it. Typical WV white trash who secretly wants to move to NC or Myrtle Beach -- you know you do.

Best Answer

Poorly educated? I'm not even in high school yet and I'm taking college level classes along with thirty other people in my grade.

Best Answer

Brad Paisley is from West Virginia and so is Steve Harvey

Best Answer

I'm from WV, born and raised, and I'll gladly die here. I became a coal miner when I was 19, just like the rest of my family. There's not a lot of opportunity here, it's kind of forgotten and overlooked. There are a lot of bad people here, just like anywhere in the world today. There are a mess of lazy dwellers, who can work, but live off others tax dollar. But we've come to not trust a lot of outsiders, as we're talked about like stupid hillbilly pigs, who imbreed and practice *********, just stereo typing. The lot of us were raised up hard, and so we're hard nosed people. We don't care for the most part, how people feel about us. But don't get mad when you come into our state and get treated like a back stabbing neighbor. Because, we do remember how people talk about us. We take care of each other when we feel it calls for it, but we expect folks to be tough when they need to. When our government and economy collapse in the near future, the majority of us will be ok because, hey "we're dumb *** animal shootin' meat eatin' hillbilly's". When that happens, these won't be the mountains you'll want to bombard for refuge and shelter, they're taken. We'll see people coming way before they'll even know we're there, and we frown upon people who compromise our family.

Best Answer

Well said.

Best Answer

White trash.

Best Answer

Well tie me down to an anthill and rub strawberry jam in my ears, because the BS is getting mighty thick to trudge through up here in your neck of the woods Uncle Jed! I do not believe it is a matter of intelligence as much as it is just the plain ignorance exhibited by the mountain folk towards the outsiders. The intelligence of a man cannot be measured by his lack of education, or by his lack of culture and good breeding. If the measure of hatred were to match the level of intelligence here, West Virginia would be a state brimming with geniuses. Yep, they sure do take care of their own out here in West Virginny, I will agree with you there wholeheartedly. And I take care of all of them with my hard earned blood, sweat, and tear laden tax dollars. While they pop another pill so that they can feel numb, I believe that they prefer it that way. No responsibility, and don't have to feel anything. Isn't life grand here in WV? Who is compromising "Who's" family? Just how far does the hypocrisy go out here in West Virginia? Apparently there are no boundaries and it goes on infinitely.

Best Answer

Sounds like you are a city person and not into rural or small town living. Sounds like you are also not into living close to nature. West Virginia is a beautiful state with some great hunting and fishing areas.

Best Answer

Nope. Small town girl, lived in a town too small for a stoplight until I was 8. WV is beautiful. Everyone says that like I hate nature, but I'm from the PacNW so its one of my favorite things. Its the people I have a hard time with.

Best Answer

Maybe you should check your own attitude?

Best Answer

Maybe she is exactly right

Best Answer

I'm not a big fan of it-quite a few places in the state are not very friendly to outsiders

Best Answer

Every part I've been to has been very unfriendly at best.

Best Answer

You're so right about that!

Best Answer

It seems especially so if you're not white and not Italian.

Best Answer

I think any ethnicity who isn't light complected isn't welcome. Hell if you don't have their accent, they despise you.

Best Answer

Then stay out of it.

Best Answer

Stay out of it then.

Best Answer

Your attitude and responses on this site, are exactly why things wont change in our state. Try considering these posts as constructive criticism.

Best Answer

Dont worry we are, and you're economy is paying for it too.

Best Answer

never been :D can't be worse than buffalo

Best Answer

i like how you reference "charming" in the context of "buffalo" you are truely an artist lol XD

Best Answer

I've never been to Buffalo, but I'd wager a bet that WV is worse anyway. Its a 3rd world state.

Best Answer

West Virginia is a piece of ****, no talent, no educate, worst schools in the country (look it up. Fact) with the worst teachers. Missing teeth obese fat *** piece of garbage, weak *** WVU and stupid *** Marshall. Virginia's ugly *** fat step sister with diabetes. need to give this piece of turd state back to Virginia but they probably don't want it. Dirty *** water, dirty people, everybody and they mom work at a fast food place or a grocery store. This state is still years behind on everything. **** roads with even shittier drivers. Worst Walmarts in the country. Worst sports pla<x>yers to live on this face of the earth only great pla<x>yer you had was randy moss.. All the pla<x>yers that are good are from out of state, all the piece of garbage athletes you guys produce for sports are second rate slow pace no work ethic *****.. I hate this state with a passion and will gladly leave back to sunny Cali with my degree.. Only reason I came hear is because the coaches offered a full ride and made it sound like this was a nice place.. Ha.. Nope.. Dumb *** adults and the kids aren't that far behind!!!!

Best Answer

By all means, please go back to California. I guarantee that the good folks in West Virginia will not be sorry to see your arrogant, self-righteous, snobby *** go. They can do without your kind. By the way, for someone who claims to have a degree, why is it that you cannot construct a proper sentence? Your spelling skills are a bit lacking as well.

Best Answer

I've lived in West Virginia over 3/4 of my life. I hate it too much for words. I almost moved to Pennsylvania. I live up in the northern portion of Wheeling.

Best Answer

blue ridge mountains,shenandoah river<br />
almost heaven.

Best Answer

No. I wish them the best. I hate what corporations have done there.<br />
My father's family were soft rock miners. He was born in WVA and left an orphan when his mother died in childbirth and his father abandoned the family. How sad, but, so it goes.

Best Answer

That is sad. So many here have hard stories like your father's.
Yes, the few corporations allowed in are working hard to rape what they can out of the state and the native WV's are too ill educated to even question what is happening. They never leave so they don't know what life is like elsewhere unless they are wealthy and that is the faction happy to keep the rest too ignorant to ask questions.

Best Answer

Yes. The streams run orange form acid mine drainage, and the roads are destroyed by the trucks hauling out the resources. Not even enough sense to keep the rails open, resulting in the worst secondary roads in the country. A week doesn't pass where WV isn't at the top of some horrible list. Try to discuss it, I and you are met with defensiveness and hostility.

Best Answer

You understand.

Best Answer

Sadly, I do. I guess I hate their choices as a community more than I hate the state itself. Its just been one of the hardest/worst years of my adult life living here.

Best Answer

Can't hate it even I'm not in the US - Loved it already - infected by Olivia Newton John's "Country Road"!

Best Answer

That song is a farse. When I think "take me home" I think, get me the hell out of WV.

Best Answer

Please leave! I'm sure the people there won't miss you!

Best Answer

Then leave. I currently live in VA and I am going to move to WV this summer. It is the most beautiful state iv ever seen. You're ranting about how bad of a state it is but I think it's just you. They take care of their own and Iv only visited a couple times but they are beyond nice and inviting to me.

Best Answer

You do not have to show me to the exit door Sister, because I can see it all too clearly from where I am standing. In bright neon red the sign clearly reads..."Exit Hell"

Best Answer

Please get the hell out of West Virginia then.

Best Answer

I've had to drive throug it, on several occasions. I cannot imagine living in it. I do not hate it, but I would rather avoid it. Did you know that parts of the State of VIRGINIA are further west than parts of West Virginia. I also had two men from West VA in my class in school--a graduate program. When they spoke to cite a case, no one could believe them! That accent makes others tend to think the person with it, is less intelligent than others. Beware, the accent is contagious. Avoid it.

Best Answer

Beware the man who sounds too backwoods to be smart. He will bend you over and bugger righteously in every deal you ever make because he knows you think he is an idiot, and he uses it to his favor.

Best Answer

Exactly!

Best Answer

Not everyone has a thick, hard to decipher drawl. Although I have come across those people and I feel like a need an English to hillbilly translator and I am generally great at getting through an accent. That's not my issue here. There is a lot of ignorance, truth be told and ill educated people who hate outsiders. They do a lot of false advertising. Outsiders are not welcome. At least not in Central WV.

Best Answer

Some of the kindest people I have met, are true dyed in the wool, old South types, but one must remember that those people came from an era of Southern hospitality and charm. I have never assumed just because someone speaks slowly that they are slow. I've know some fast-talking morons in my day too. Ignorance is far more than a Southern drawl.

Best Answer

I have to agree with frustratedinwv. A lot of people in the state are wary of outsiders. I have lived here for 25 years and they still view me with suspicion. If you have a college degree it is best to keep it to yourself. Low employment,racism,substance abuse and poverty are serious problems here.
I wouldnt advise anyone to move here unless you are commuting to Pittsburgh or D.C. Yes, they put out a lot of false advertising that none of these problems exist but they do. In defense of the state though, there are a lot of reasons for these problems. Crooked politicians and mining companies trying to keep the status quo. It's in their best interests to keep the state isolated.

Best Answer

I'm in the Clarksburg area as well. Do you notice a difference in the water? I find it gross (not from WV). If there is one thing to remember living here it's .....the customer is always wrong...

Best Answer

If you have well water, it probably has a lot of iron and sulfur. A lot of this is due to the gas companies fracking and contaminating the water. This happened on my property when my great grandfather owned it during the depression.

Best Answer

I agree

Best Answer

Every other state has an accent too.

Best Answer

In Clarksburg if you have a well there is a lot of sulfur in it and also iron. I'm in Jackson county and I can't drink my well water because we have a lot of salt in it.

Best Answer