Had to move here for my husband's career and I feel like I slid back into the worst parts of the last 3 decades in this country.
frustratedinwv frustratedinwv 31-35, F 41 Answers Apr 17, 2012

I grew up in West Virginia. I am from Clarksburg. I now live in New Mexico. The biggest problem with natives not being friendly is the visitors. Stop treating us like, and calling us, dumb, ignorant, stupid, or any other stereotype you have heard about us in fiction novels and movies, and maybe we'll like you. We do wear shoes, we do have teeth, we don't live anywhere near Richmond...and BTW, Bridgeport, the next town over from you, tests in the top 1% in standardized test. It's not a problem with education...it's a problem with jaded perception...

Best Answer

Seriously? You can't even go to NM without dealing with a person from WV?

Best Answer

By all means, please keep telling people how rotten the place is, so us true West Virginians can enjoy our life here without outside interference. The roads go both ways, if you are that miserable here, leave.

Best Answer

Agreed. But please follow through and quit moving to the Carolina's and TN and fouling up the place.

Best Answer

I have lived here 15 years after having lived in PA, MD and DE and I have never been around so many people that hate everything and everybody not from WV. They are the rudest, most arrogant people I have ever been exposed to. This state exists only because of Federal money but they continue to tout how fiscally responsible they are . It's easy to be fiscally responsible when someone else is paying your way.

Best Answer

I've lived in West Virginia for three years now and am only now meeting some people I'd regard as friends. For most of my experience here, however, the people are largely cold, cliquish, backstabbing, uninspired, and unmotivated. Unless your family goes back generations in the state, no one has time for you or your input. People live for the status quo, they quit without reason, and they interact with sharply passive-aggressive behavior with even those they consider close. There's nothing to do because that would require some vision, which is threatening to the way things have always been done.

Best Answer

When I graduated fromNCSU 2 years ago I applied for internships and jobs in all over the US except west Virginia. Why? In Raleigh /Cary NC I used to install dish services for living, and honestly, Yankees are the best by all mean followed by Canadians, but god oh god, whenever I saw a west Virginian tag in the front of a house, I knew that's a miserable job waiting for me. Its was not a hygiene issue or the lack of education. Nor it was a money wise problem, but rather the attitude and the rude personality they have. I'm by the way not generalizing here but I'm just being honest (My 2 cent from a green card holder who doesn't belong to the south nor the north)

Best Answer

And WVians LOVE the Carolinas! It's like God's country to them! They move there in damn droves!! Then wonder why true Southerners hate them.

Best Answer

I love West Virginia! I have been there for work a number of times and the people are very good! I can not live in the state because I do not like cold weather, but it's so beautiful, the mountains, the rivers. I hope to one day go fly fishing and ride on the New River and the Kanawha River.<br />
I travel a lot around the country because of my job. West Virginia has best people in all the country. Go there and see for yourself.

Best Answer

Thank you.

Best Answer

I love West Virginia, but visiting is not the same as living there. Having said that, I have loads of relatives and friends who live there and also love it. Still, I feel for you. There are places I have lived that I never want to see again except to tell the kids "See that? Don't ever live there."

Best Answer

I moved here from Pittsburgh, and have lived in rural parts of AZ and MS----Wv is so depressing, people ehre think they are so friendly and they are actually very unkind. I came here with an open mind, but the lack of education, and the "keep to yourself, don't be kind to strangers" is very hard for me coming from Pittsburgh, which is a very friendly city. It is not snobbery, WV, partiularly the southern parts, are just full of mean, mean, mean pill-popping people who have no idea of speaking up for others or even themselves and they accept the status quo.

Best Answer

It is all relative, but where in Pittsburgh is it redneck? Shadyside? Squirrel Hill? East End? All those redneck first generation immigrants? The burgh may have white trash but rednecks...no way I was born and raised there , 40 yrs; no place is perfect but Philly is hardcore mean, Pgh is more midwesty, but people from WV tend to think the areas below Pittsburgh like Washinton, PA or the boonies by Uniontown are Pittsburgh; regardless, you show the black and white thinking prevalent in southern wv; and people here were so screwed by mining companies they are mean to strangers. It is the rudness as you show I dislike, but also, what non WV see as rude is often them misunderstanding that someone ahs manners, etc, it is very different in Appalachia, and the education at times breeds ignorance; it is not that they are inferior, but there truly is inbreeding in places like Pochahontas; Pgh is not Xanadu or Nirvana but good God peeps give u a break and Pgh can be white trashy but redneck? puleaze....most Pittsburghers don't know what a riding mower is, the MAJORITy and this is a fact, have a bachelors and the social organizations and gov is less corrupt. Perfect, hell no , but at least other countries rank it 1 in usa.

Best Answer

Pill popping? Seriously please someone come to Mingo County and say that ****. Like I said, before you even finish your sentence you will have a gun pointed to your head.

Best Answer

I wish you would fix your spelling, and you say lack of education comes from West Virginia.

Best Answer

White trash. Let us know when you move to the Carolinas.

Best Answer

West Virginia is one of the most horrid places I have ever lived in my life, I am a student there and let me just tell u.... Sometimes I feel like I am living in a dream! I do hate poverty :( but my goodness, I see women without bras, cigarettes in their mouth pushing their infant in what looks like a baby doll stroller to cvs! u wouldn't believe all the calf tattoos! Ohhhh calf tattoos on obese people, who sit in chain restaurants and think they are out on the town, these people need 5 sides of ranch dressing for a delicate... Iceberg lettuce salad... Consisting on lettuce loads of cheese and bacon and croutons!!!! If u are ever considering moving here for work, think again! take the pay cut.... And learn from me! I have 2 years left and I pray I never have to get anywhere this poor poor state..........

Best Answer

Hopefully you left this year, no one from West Virginia wants a snob in our state.

Best Answer

We also don't want you in the South.

Best Answer

Sounds like you are a city person and not into rural or small town living. Sounds like you are also not into living close to nature. West Virginia is a beautiful state with some great hunting and fishing areas.

Best Answer

Nope. Small town girl, lived in a town too small for a stoplight until I was 8. WV is beautiful. Everyone says that like I hate nature, but I'm from the PacNW so its one of my favorite things. Its the people I have a hard time with.

Best Answer

Maybe you should check your own attitude?

Best Answer

By God West V.a is not a fun place to live if you like to do fun things. The state has no diversity with it's whopping 1.8million people (sarcasm). The state is also one of the fattest, poorest, and poorly educated in the entire country; so that is WV in a nutshell.

Best Answer

I have been living in West Virginia my entire life and let me tell you, West Virginia is in no way you portray it. There are plenty of fun things to do in West Virginia. I live near and ice rink, two very nice, large public pools, several parks, you can go fishing, I live right next to an extremely nice resort, there is always some kind of event like a festival going on, and you can go boating on the rivers, or even fishing, and there is Pittsburgh an hour from where I live, and plus there are many shopping places. Plus, West Virginia is #2 poorest in the country, but that doesn't we are all living on the street, my father is a Lawyer and my family lives comfortably, in a fairly large house, as well as most of my neighbors, and my aunt, being an OBGyn makes over $450,000 a year, probably at least 4- 5x more than what you or the average American makes. And we are only in the 30s for education, Arizona being number 50, and many of us are highly educated. I have probably about a dozen family members in the medical field, a family friend of mine just got excepted into Harvard, and sure Some of us may not be educated but many of is are. And as for being the fattests, yes we are number 3 but we are not all fat. I'm 14 years old, and only weigh 110 pounds, some of us are I fact over weight, very few of us being obese, and most of us are just normal weight. Just remember that WV is a lot different on the outside looking in, it's full of stereotypes, maybe spend more time here and you would know.

Best Answer

Yeah, we also have some of the most famous people from here. Sounds like your jealous of our state. You come down here to Mingo County and say that to someone I guarentee you will have a gun pointed to your face before you even finish your sentence. You wouldn't last in the country. Where God is most important and no one cares about having a lot of money.

Best Answer

You say having a gun in your face like you're proud of it. Typical WV white trash who secretly wants to move to NC or Myrtle Beach -- you know you do.

Best Answer

I'm from WV, born and raised, and I'll gladly die here. I became a coal miner when I was 19, just like the rest of my family. There's not a lot of opportunity here, it's kind of forgotten and overlooked. There are a lot of bad people here, just like anywhere in the world today. There are a mess of lazy dwellers, who can work, but live off others tax dollar. But we've come to not trust a lot of outsiders, as we're talked about like stupid hillbilly pigs, who imbreed and practice *********, just stereo typing. The lot of us were raised up hard, and so we're hard nosed people. We don't care for the most part, how people feel about us. But don't get mad when you come into our state and get treated like a back stabbing neighbor. Because, we do remember how people talk about us. We take care of each other when we feel it calls for it, but we expect folks to be tough when they need to. When our government and economy collapse in the near future, the majority of us will be ok because, hey "we're dumb *** animal shootin' meat eatin' hillbilly's". When that happens, these won't be the mountains you'll want to bombard for refuge and shelter, they're taken. We'll see people coming way before they'll even know we're there, and we frown upon people who compromise our family.

Best Answer

Well said.

Best Answer

White trash.

Best Answer

I'm not a big fan of it-quite a few places in the state are not very friendly to outsiders

Best Answer

Every part I've been to has been very unfriendly at best.

Best Answer

You're so right about that!

Best Answer

It seems especially so if you're not white and not Italian.

Best Answer

I think any ethnicity who isn't light complected isn't welcome. Hell if you don't have their accent, they despise you.

Best Answer

Then stay out of it.

Best Answer

Stay out of it then.

Best Answer

never been :D can't be worse than buffalo

Best Answer

i like how you reference "charming" in the context of "buffalo" you are truely an artist lol XD

Best Answer

I've never been to Buffalo, but I'd wager a bet that WV is worse anyway. Its a 3rd world state.

Best Answer

I' ve been stuck here for 19 years and I know exactly what you mean and are experiencing. I've tried to leave but keep getting sucked back into this 3rd. world country. It is like I'm in a TWILIGHT ZONE episode where the person cannot seem to leave the town. I hope for your sake that you are not still living in WV, but if you are, have you been called a "Farner" yet? The weather here also sucks in the southern part of the state. It rains an average of 3 out every 5 days here. Be glad you live closer to the PA line as it seems to have a little better weather in the Clarksburg area. Also be thankful for the Italian heritage there as you should be able to find real Italian restuarants. There is absolutely no cultural diversity in my area unless you count the few Japaneese executives at the Toyota plant or the few Mexican families that have recently opened restaurants. All Scottish or Irish it seems. I must be the only Filipino in the state of west virginia.

Best Answer

Go to Greenbrier county Wv, their are plenty of Filipinos

Best Answer

blue ridge mountains,shenandoah river<br />
almost heaven.

Best Answer

No, I lived in the Parkersburg area years ago and loved it.<br />
The people were friendly and honest. Low crime and all.<br />
Was forced to move back home or would still be there.

Best Answer

I haven't been to Parkersburg yet. I'm in the Clarksburg area.

Best Answer

Marietta, across the river is a beautiful little town. Rumor had it that George Washington was going to move there is the revolution got out of hand!

Best Answer

Clarksburg is a **** hole.

Best Answer

No. I wish them the best. I hate what corporations have done there.<br />
My father's family were soft rock miners. He was born in WVA and left an orphan when his mother died in childbirth and his father abandoned the family. How sad, but, so it goes.

Best Answer

That is sad. So many here have hard stories like your father's.
Yes, the few corporations allowed in are working hard to rape what they can out of the state and the native WV's are too ill educated to even question what is happening. They never leave so they don't know what life is like elsewhere unless they are wealthy and that is the faction happy to keep the rest too ignorant to ask questions.

Best Answer

You understand.

Best Answer

Sadly, I do. I guess I hate their choices as a community more than I hate the state itself. Its just been one of the hardest/worst years of my adult life living here.

Best Answer

Can't hate it even I'm not in the US - Loved it already - infected by Olivia Newton John's "Country Road"!

Best Answer

That song is a farse. When I think "take me home" I think, get me the hell out of WV.

Best Answer

Please leave! I'm sure the people there won't miss you!

Best Answer

Then leave. I currently live in VA and I am going to move to WV this summer. It is the most beautiful state iv ever seen. You're ranting about how bad of a state it is but I think it's just you. They take care of their own and Iv only visited a couple times but they are beyond nice and inviting to me.

Best Answer

Please get the hell out of West Virginia then.

Best Answer

Everybody is entititled to their opinions. I'm shocked to hear that some perceptions of our people have been rude. I have always been told we were welcoming and kind...the type that still invite you into their homes for a warm meal or just say "good day to ya."<br />
I've lived here all my life and enjoy traveling, but it's awesome coming home. To say that we are the only state that has obese, poor, and uneducated citizens is false. EVERY state has that! Granted, we do not have large cities or professional sports teams. However, we are a state known for recreation. <br />
Consider this haters, would you be speaking of Virginia this way? We used to be one state, you know. June 20th, 1863 we decided to succeed from the union because we were against slavery. Wow.<br />
I would never down another place in this country. Period. I choose to be a patriot. I choose to embrace my fellow Americans for who they are. I choose not to look down on the poor...in ANY state. <br />
This state was settled by many Scots-Irish and Germans for its astounding beauty that reminded them of home. Many found work in the mines, which is the lifeblood of our state. We are a people that pulled ourselves up from our bootstraps and acquired life the honest way by the sweat of our brow. <br />
As far as our education system, I happen to work in the state's largest. Our state ranks among the very highest in terms of reading education, for example. As in any state, it starts at home. If education and hard-work are priorities at home, then a child has a much greater chance of success. <br />
I'm simply asking America, in general, to cease with the stereotypical responses when I say where I'm from. I wouldn't think of doing that to anyone else. <br />
As far as the ignorant people out there first to make a slam against us, I ask you to look within yourselves before you do. Open your eyes and look around parts of your state, or even your hometown. <br />
Is it really that different?

Best Answer

Am glad y'all chose to "succeed" from the Union. Maybe next time y'all can SECEDE from the Union. Typical uneducated coal mining pos.

Best Answer

I live in Ontario Canada. I have travelled all through the eastern parts of the US and through many states. Mostly driving south through to Florida or myrtle beach. My opinion may mot count but here it is anyways. I cannot drive fast enough to get out of Buffalo and NY State. Pennsylvania is nice once you enter the mountains. I fully avoid Ohio as it is the most boring state to drive through. Upon entering West Virginia I feel comfotrable. I always stop at the greeting centers and enjoy the fresh<br />
Mountain air. Driving through the mountains is awsome and breathtaking. The New River george bridge is a highlight of our roadtrip for my kids to see over and over again. Stopping anywhere for anything I never felllike were going to be mugged by some gangbangers as we do from south carolina on. I always drive a little slower and take in the scenery whenever we go through there. I have vacationed in NY, Pennsylvania, Maine, Maryland, Ohio, Massatuchetts, (pardon some of my spelling), West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Flordia, Kentucky, Tennessee,Missippi, and Arkansas an I must say that West Virginia is my favorite. Like any place or country, people will ***** about another state or province like we canadians do about Quebec. But there are many places that are great and others that are not so great. Really is WV so bad I mean there isint gang members "offing" each others in record numbers, do they live is a state that is nothing but a concrete jungle. There is nature and beautiful scenery. Honestly i'd be more worried about getting carjacked or mugged somewhere else than "eaten by a bear" or bit by a bug. And besides you may think they sound different or are arrogant but you havent seen anything until you have millions of french quebecers living next to you. I love West Virginia!

Best Answer

Let me tell you, NOTHING makes me feel better than the approval of a Canadian. Thank you!

Best Answer