I don't mean to offend any current nurses out there as there are a lot that are empathetic and warm. However, it seems like so much of the nursing staff in various hospitals I've been in/worked with are bitter and angry towards each other, the patients, or whoever they come in contact with. And I don't really blame them because their jobs are stressful, they're on their feet all day, they deal with misery and pain constantly, they take orders from doctors, patients, and pretty much everyone else around. And then there are those who took nursing jobs because of the pay and job market, as opposed to actually having an interest in the field. I feel bad for them and the patients. My dad works in a hospital and said "out of all the nurses here, how many do you see smiling?" and there weren't that many.
SpilledSecrets SpilledSecrets 22-25, F 12 Answers Oct 24, 2012 in Emotional Health

I think everyone seems more rude and unfriendly.

Best Answer

very true. reminds me of Louis CK's comedy bit titled something like "Everything's Wonderful and Nobody's Happy"

Best Answer

had a baby 2 yrs ago.. all my nurses i had at the hospital were good... most GREAT. 1 of them, when i got there... If she ended up being my nurse.. i would of rather had my baby in the parking lot!!! glad she was off in 1 hr, when i got there.

Best Answer

I have spent a lot of time in the hospital lately, and most of the nurses I have met have been nice, friendly and caring. I especially liked the ones in ICU who tended me while I spent three months in a coma and on total life support. The doctors may have the skills, but the nurses provide the care that really heal people

Best Answer

Oh wow, glad to know you're ok and that you received excellent care.

Best Answer

I can only speak as I find and as a carer I am dealing with nurses all of the time,99% of whom are fantastic at what they do,caring with empathy.

Best Answer

All of our hospitals should be like the ones you're in! In my area, there's a high level of burnout. When I waited tables, I'd get groups of nurses on their lunch breaks and they would take a lot of frustration out on me. It was offensive at first but now I feel bad for them because of the stuff they go through and what it does to them. The people helping us shouldn't have to be worked to the point that life in general becomes frustrating.

Best Answer

I hear what you are saying my friend.

Best Answer

I think that a nurse should get paid (for example) 30% of what the doctor gets paid. The doctor would have a better paid smiling nurse. The nurse would work harder so that he/she could indirectly benefit.

Best Answer

I find this talk quite funny and somehow related. Check it out. <br />
http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_on_our_buggy_moral_code.html

Best Answer

I agree 100%.<br />
For about the past ten years, I have noticed that every time I have gone to the doctor's office or hospital, my nurses are incredibly rude and they act like they hate their jobs. the last time I went to the gyno, my nurse practically called me a moron because I couldn't p e e on command. I'm sorry my bladder and urethra won't cooperate with YOUR HIGHNESS. Geeze.<br />
Hating your job is common in the world, but if you're gonna be a nurse or any other caretaker profession, you need to make sure you always make an effort to be cordial and nurturing, NOT a complete grumpy and passive-aggressive b*tch.

Best Answer