I'm no practicing Christian, but I studied the Bible enough. I think there is a lot of metaphor within the words of the Bible. God created man in HIS own image, and yet one look at God would strke a person dead (that's Biblical) So it's clear that God didn't create man in his *physical* image; personally, I think it means He created man in His *Spiritual* image. And I think the same applies to the reference to gold.<br />
I don't think it means gold, as such, but rather that it means greater (or more valuable) than *anything* possible in the world as we know it. I don't think that is a contradiction (which is where most none-believers step in) I think it's more a statement by which to add 'value by comparison' and I don't think it was ever meant to be any different. But, what do I know? :)<br />
~F~

Best Answer

So true! I think that part of the wonder of life Are the mystries, don't you think? Nor professing to know them is hardly a bad thing. Those who say they wish life was like a fairie tale are, in lol ... you are a trier, I'll give you that ... lol. Yeah, in a sense, each living with their imaginings of what they do not know; I think that is what I do. *smile* Hardly 'heavy thinking', but still ... it's something I think about often-times :)

Best Answer

So true! I think that part of the wonder of life are the mystries, don't you think? Nor professing to know them is hardly a bad thing. Those who say they wish life was like a fairie tale are, in fact, living one (in a sense) with their imaginings in what they do not know. I think that is what I do. Hardly 'heavy thinking' from me, but still ... it's something I think about often-times :)

Best Answer

WHAT?! Why would you feel or think that way? Biblical writers are not the only ones who have wrote about streets of gold in heaven - hopefully one day we will witness it ourselves. Ain't no better place than heaven.

Best Answer

My viewpoint. Most stories and saying in the bible are from a time and culture we do not comprehend. When it was first written, much of it was considered symbolic and fluid, able to change with the times and situation until the advent of the Gutenberg press. Once the printed bible became common currency, the bible lawyers began circling, assigning literal interpretations when it suited them and symbolic when that proved more advantageous. You see that practice common today.<br />
The paved in gold was undoubtedly symbolic, as Justsomeone noted. Using legal, instead of a loving, approach to the bible has resulted in many of the blatant contradictions an ob<x>jective person sees today. <br />
I have found the most credible and compassionate understanding of both the word and meaning of old testament texts to come from moderate Jewish scholars. In their explanations, they delve deeply into the history surrounding the culture at the time of the writing, and explain what it means symbolically to them. Frequently, the symbolism of three thousand years ago is a polar opposite of our modern vision. (It would be like a red rose being a symbol for genocide instead of a symbol of love.) <br />
They have given me an understanding for some of the stories about Moses that I considered out right hateful and wrong. I might still believe Moses wrong, but there is a positive and loving view of what he did and why he did it. <br />
Too long. Sorry for the rambling. It is all about context and understanding that goes far deeper than the words.

Best Answer

It's mataphor

Best Answer

I think people may say that because there , God provides everything. and everyone gives freely.

Best Answer

i dont think its bad? im a Christian i suppose the <br />
bible is just tryna say how awesome God is ans how amazing He is. i mean cmon who doesnt wanna walk on a golden road .. i know i do!

Best Answer

i would need a hoe and a wheel barrel if I go.

Best Answer