So my son who is 9 with Down syndrome was doing it multiple times a day. It was a learned behavior for him. He had "reflux" as a child which meds never helped. At the age of four it became apparent he was doing it "on purpose". Up to that point, we would fuss over him and say things like "oh, honey, are you ok" but then we changed it to "no. we keep it in our belly". It did help for a few years but started back up and was back with a vengence! We were prisoners in our house because of it. No restaurants or other peoples houses because he would throw up everywhere. We did lots of behavioral therapy with no luck. We tried the "breathing" techniques but he did not understand that. Finally this past November he had surgery (nissan fundoplication) to stop him from being able to throw up. Horrible decision to make. It was definitely a question of quality of life so we did it. This however is a LAST resort and some doctors probably wouldn't even do it unless the child was losing weigh or very sick because of it. What type of therapy are they going to do with him?<br />
I KNOW your pain. You are NOT alone. Does he spit it out all the time or keep it in his mouth and swallow? Would he respond to a time out? I would just love to see you get it under control now before you are 6 years down the road like we were. I would make it clear to him that it is not acceptable. Taking a toy away? Anything he may respond to?

Best Answer

Yes. And alot of answer to why he has it without having a disability is because of stress or depression but yet he is the happiest child. Everywhere we go he talks to people and makes friends. He is such a love bug hugs you all the time. Its just so frustrating to not know WHY? Have you done any of the therapy? We will be starting soon at Nationwide Childrens Hospital in Columbus. Just not sure how he will do being 3 they say it works best for children 12? I know I am like asking you a million questions and I am sorry for that but its just so confusing. Does your son only do it a few times a day? most people I see only do it here n there but my son basically does it with anything he eats or drinks. We even joke that you dont ever drink after him bc 99% of the time he will have puke in his mouth. :/

Best Answer

Its also been upsetting because when we go out to eat or to a family gathering where we are eating he will be doing it and people start asking oh my goodness is he choking whats wrong with him :/ then i explain the best I can about rumination syndrom and then they respond well my dr put me on some reflux medicine as a child UGHHHHH

Best Answer

Im not sure of the therapy yet. I looked on the website and it talks about behavioral therapy seeing a psycologist and retraining how he eats. And in some cases they admit the child to the hospital for a week or so so that they can completely take control of all his eating and behavior. Im just not sure how it can work at the age of 3 :/ Even the site says that their patients are usually 12 and up. I am trying to stay positive though. While doing research I found people that had Drs that could tell them what they had but had no idea why or where to start with treatment. And lucky for us his GI specialist is from Nationwide Childrens Hospital in Columbus, Ohio and they actually have a rumination therapy center.
Its so frustrating though. Trying to go about our daily lives with this. He starts preschool in the fall but Im not even sure we will send him this year if we dont have some kind of improvement. I am also worried because most adults that have had this for years now claim to be bulimic? I know rumination is classified in the eating disorders so I wonder if this is the case for most people. Just a lot to take in and a lot to deal with :/

Best Answer