feier feier 22-25, F 9 Answers Apr 19, 2013 in Religion

Leonardo da Vinci's Codex Leicester |

A detail from the first volume of a Gutenberg Bible, on display at New York's Morgan Library and Museum.

Mary Altaffer/AP Images

What makes a book rare and valuable? It all comes down to supply and demand -- and condition. The rarest books in the world are highly sought after by collectors because they're associated with a particular author or a major historical event or era, or simply because they're incredibly old.

In the world of book collecting, old means very, very old. Johannes Gutenberg developed the movable type printing press in the 1440s -- in fact, any printed book dating from 1500 or earlier is known as an incunabulum, and is virtually guaranteed to be rare and valuable. A Gutenberg Bible, printed in 1456 and considered the first book of movable type ever printed, is usually considered the zenith of book collecting.

Some books become rare not because of the content of the book itself, but because a famous person owned it. If the book has personal notations in the margins, the value goes up even more. A few rare books are "sleepers" that don't betray their true value to the uninformed -- these are the books you might find at a yard sale for $1, then sell for tens of thousands of dollars.

If you'd like to know how much a Gutenberg Bible is worth, how many there are in the world and why it has such lofty status, this article has all the details, along with nine more of the world's rarest books -- including those sleepers you can find in the dusty shelves of used bookstores.

Johannes Gutenberg experimented with movable type throughout the 1440s, using his own casting process to set type from an alloy he invented. He had printed some relatively unremarkable items before working on the Bible, which he first offered for sale in 1455 [source: University of Texas at Austin]. It is believed that 180 copies of the Bible were produced -- 135 on paper and 35 on vellum, or calfskin. Today, only 48 copies are known to exist, some of them only partial, almost all of them in the hands of museums, universities and libraries [source: Clausen Books].

Gutenberg Bibles are rare and valuable for a number of reasons. In addition to their scarcity and status as the first of their kind, they're books of exceptional quality. Gutenberg used finely crafted paper and vellum, as well as a special ink of his own invention that has remained vivid for centuries. Most of the Bibles were sold in folio form, or as loose pages that the owner would then have bound in the style of his or her desire. That gives each Gutenberg Bible a certain uniqueness. Each Bible is usually split into two volumes, with the Old Testament filling the first volume, and the second volume containing the remainder of the Old Testament and the entire New Testament.

How much is a Gutenberg Bible worth? A perfect copy hasn't changed hands in years, but in 2007, a single leaf went on sale for $74,000. In 1978, Christie's auctioned off a pe

Best Answer

thanks

Best Answer

I assume that the "Book of Leaves" is a fiction idea taken from Abramelin the mage or Abraham the Mage. It is told that Abramelin mastered magic and wrote the "Codex". The ideas of the "Book of Leaves" while in every gaze the writing change is similar to the "Codex". The same idea appears in "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" Authored by - Michael Scott.

Best Answer

Hello Google my old friend.

Best Answer

Was that not by Henry David Thereau. I may be wrong, but I think he wrote it. Of course he may not have and you may be talking about an entire different book.

Best Answer

i think this "book of leaves" relates to some religion secret.this book was mentioned in Da Vinci's Demons

Best Answer

no what is it ?

Best Answer

recently i was watching"Da Vinci's Demons".in it,it mentioned "book of leaves".so i was curious if it really exist in this world

Best Answer

I don't know but now I'm curious !

Best Answer

^ ^,let's find out...

Best Answer

Yay :L I've already been looking... if there is it doesn't want to be found !!

Best Answer

It could be related to the Voynich manuscript.

Best Answer

I want to know is the book of leaves real, and if it is how can you see it or read some of it's findings. You know the lord almighty said to know of me and to do not of my command is better to not know of me at all.

Best Answer

This book could possibly be related to the "sons of issachar" Though this would mean that the time line needs to be explored and the possible nature of the religion traveling to Greece.

Orphism (more rarely Orphicism) (Ancient Greek: Ὀρφικά) is the name given to a set of religious beliefs and practices originating in the ancient Greek and the Hellenistic world, as well as by the Thracians, associated with literature ascribed to the mythical poet Orpheus, who descended into Hades and returned.

What I can see is that the duality in Ophism or Orphic mystery is very similar to that of christianity...having a heaven and hades and good and evil.

THis is where it can be hard to follow and confusing: The son's of Issachar:

Tribe of Issachar

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Best Answer

it sure dose , Aleph Bay , etc.. figure out the language , the 27 letters, and you will figure out the book of leaves. all the answers are there ..

Best Answer