Anonymous67 Anonymous67 18-21, F 13 Answers Sep 4, 2012 in Community

The quality of life for the inmates will vary between prisons. There are a lot of prison stories on the internet, most of them make paint a picture that is really grim, but not in the ways that people imagine or is the stereotype. Your typical prison gym or cafeteria environment, as depicted by movies, is pretty rare. Prison rape happens but is not exactly an epidemic. I read the story of one guy (which looked genuine, but I can't be sure) where when the guards would move inmates around they would put some in solitary confinement temporarily. He was either forgotten or put in there for longer than he should be, so he had a major panic attack in there and so was left in there for an even longer period of time for not doing his confinement time properly.

Best Answer

Watch Louis' documentaries:<br />
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px2kTQKZaSU <br />
I couldn't imagine anything worse!

Best Answer

It is a hell hole and nobody comes out a better person . <br />
Yeah it's that bad and those who think it's a walk in park obviously haven't been .

Best Answer

Would a homeless person be better off on the streets or in jail?

Best Answer

Well it depends on the person and how homeless they are .

Best Answer

Yes,its bad and theres more to it than having your liberty taken away.The places really do carry a heavy,oppressive aura inside.Look from the outside,not a pretty sight ever,then imagine what you see as concentrated in spirit inside.Evil.

Best Answer

Sometimes I think that I want to go to prison, and if I asked a copper to lock me up, he'd say no. So I have to go and break the law for you to put me in prison? They can't even lock you up if you physically tell them that you're going to go and break the law.

Best Answer

Sometimes I think about it too like just to see what it's like.

Best Answer

my husband was in prison for 2 years... but this was back in the 80s so im sure its gotten a lot worse now. <br />
and my uncle was there for 8 years got out about 7 years ago, he doesnt talk about it...<br />
its not a place you would want to go....

Best Answer

I just see prison as hitting rock bottom in life but that's just my opinion but the reason why I wanted to know what it was like in there is just to know what is rock bottom really? I mean is there somewhere else you could end up that's worse than jail?

Best Answer

I spent 2 weeks in a county jail for a DUI, it was boring more than anything else. I dont know what prisons are like though

Best Answer

Do you get food? Like a sufficient amount so your not still hungry afterwards?

Best Answer

Yeah. As much food as youd want. Well, most of it couldve passed for food

Best Answer

Watch Bad Girls lol

Best Answer

Is it a documentary on prison?

Best Answer

Yeah thats right

Best Answer

I can't speak about state prisons, but I can tell you about federal prisons. That being said there are some similarities. First of all is the different security levels of both state and federal prisons. At the lowest level are prison camps. Generally inmates at prison camps work in the surrounding community including sometimes outside of higher security facilities typically performing grounds keeping work. I have heard prison inmates be reffered to as campers. At certain times during the day anyone who is offsite must return so they can be counted (counts a a really big part of prison). Most camps don't have any parameter fences and could literally pass for a small college campus or recreational gathering place. Usually a vehicle or two will drive around the parameter (a painted line) just to make sure anyone leaving is not doing so unauthorized. Right above camps in security level are low security facilities. Federal lows have two parameter fences with enough barb wire on various portions of both fences to give anyone considering escape second thoughts. Also the fences have motion detection sensors on them. There are also vehicles driving around the parameter at a really slow pace looking for any issues. Should an inmate get caught being too close to any of the outer fences at the very least they will probably get yelled at from the driver of the parameter vehicle. If an inmate is thought to be escaping or has made it outside both fences any guard in a vehicle has at his or her disposal a shot gun and the authorization to use deadly force to prevent an escape. It does not matter if someone is serving time for trespassing on government property or murder, both will be treated the same. Medium security prisons at the federal level add all sorts of things both outside and inside. Some of these features might appear at lows to a lesser extent if the facility had them prior to becoming a low or needs one or more of these things for another reason. In addition to the patrols, and fences, mediums have towers. Some might have a few towers manned and others might have all of them manned and still others might have no towers manned. Movement at some lows is sometimes controlled and other times open. What this means is that for example Monday through Friday 9am-4pm once an hour the compound opens for inmate movement for ten minutes. Then from say 5pm to 8:30pm the compound is open without controlled moves. On weekends and holidays the compound is generally open from 11am to 3:30pm and then from 5pm to 8:30pm. At medium facilities and above there are controlled movements throughout the day no matter what day it is. Nearly every camp and low has dorm or room style housing. At mediums, medium highs, and USP's it is cellblock housing either a two person or one person cell (though mostly two person). A housing unit no matter what security level comprises a given number of bunk beds (in a dorm/room), or cells. Housing units at lows and camps don't generally have camera's inside the housing units or at too many places around the common areas inmates are allowed to visit. All higher level facilities have camera's in the housing units, between different buildings, and likely on the parameter too. Mediums and above also have more internal check points (metal detectors) between buildings. At medium high's and USP's I have heard there are additional restrictions as far as how close inmates are allowed to stand/walk when going from one place in the facility to another. United States Penitentiaries (USP's for short) add eight or nine foot tall concrete walls inside the parameter fences, have manned towers, and have both external and internal vehicle patrols. According to people I have spoken to there are armed guards up on gangways or walkways in the chow hall, gym, and possibly other areas of the compound. If something goes down a guard will give one warning shot and anyone who isnt on the floor or ground is going to be shot at. No matter if someone is at a federal or state prison or what security level, no two facilities are exactly the same. How bad prison is depends on a number of things; why someone is in prison, who knows why they are really there, what prison the person is at, if it is a state or federal facility, if it is a private or government run prison, the length of a person's sentence, and many other factors. Should anyone want more details, let me know and I will dig up my notes from my own experience (aka) seventeen months of living in a backwards/upside down/inside out enviroment. By no means is prison a nice place. However the common perception of what it is or is not, does not align with reality or at least not how people might expect.

Best Answer