No, it's a parents job to teach a child what is and isn't acceptable, what maybe ok to say to there friends isn't ok to use in front of there granny.

Best Answer

Whichever way you look at this, it's still the parents' responsibility to teach the child which words are "OK" and which aren't. If the parents swear freely in front of their children, they're making difficulties for themselves and they're going to have an uphill struggle with it. But although children will pick up swear words from all sorts of sources including other kids at school, they should get the hang of which ones their parents do or don't permit them to use. Yes, I picked up an extensive vocabulary of four-letter words from classmates at school and I used some of them when the occasion demanded it - but I'm sure my parents never found out: they'd have been horrified.

Best Answer

I try to not let anything people say annoy me. It doesn't matter what they think anyway.

Best Answer

It's all relative as far as I'm concerned. I am politely amused by all the people who adamantly insist that children will do exactly as instructed by their parents. Those that think that don't actually have any children of their own. If you want to make sure your kid will absolutely use curse words... tell them not to. Better yet, tell them those words are naughty, inappropriate and can never be used. I will say this much... it is absolutely MY fault that all of my children are witty, sarcastic, can think on their feet, and have very large vocabularies. Yep, that part is all my fault. So, if I have to accept responsibility for their choices of words... "meh." I think parents should talk to their kids. A Lot. And most don't. I try not to judge other people's parenting techniques as long as the kid isn't covered in bruises or afraid of their own shadow. Everyone should NOT attempt to be exactly like any other parent... every family is different, every situation is different and every kid is different. Whoever decided what "NORM" should be should get beaten until they cry.

Best Answer

My niece is 2, and when she says "truck"....well it comes out with an "f". My sister took her to a toy store where my niece saw a truck and wanted it. Therefore, as a 2 year old may do, she started saying truck repeatedly and loudly! People around my sister gave her dirty looks and so she felt the need to keep saying "shes trying to say truck". I wish these other people would just mind their own business. It is just a word and you are giving it power it doesn't deserve. Now my niece might say truck-with-an-f more often because she might find the reaction funny. And here we go with a never-ending cycle.

Best Answer

Yes words are everywhere but it is the parents responsibility to teach which words are ok and which are not...just like we teach everything else.

Best Answer

When I was little I picked up the word "******" from the woody woodpecker cartoons. So I ran around saying ******.

Best Answer

My best friend taught me the F word when I was seven years old. I had never heard it before.

Best Answer

I'm pretty loose with language at home and I don't make an effort to uniformly stop swearing in the house.<br />
That said, I don't encourage swearing for swearing's sake. My 16-yo daughter has a tendency to drop swears for no particular reason and I'm quick to point it out.<br />
It's not unreasonable to hold parents accountable. Who else should be held accountable for a minor's behavior? But, it is sometimes more complicated than that.

Best Answer

Very little (other than stupid qiuestions on EP) annoys me anymore. It takes too much energy to resent people's inevitable misconceptions and misbehaviours. Ther are almost 7 Billion of us, and we all have them.<br />
I have enough on my hands just trying to manage my own.

Best Answer

Not particularly. Swearing is a choice. I heard all sorts of swear words, but I was keenly aware that if I used one of them my mom would have knocked my teeth out. <br />
No swearing. No problem.

Best Answer