How rude to judge someone loudly (to embarrass them?) ba<x>sed on their financial status. Really?! Just because your friend is on food stamps does not give others the right to look down their noses at them ... like they should be carrying a sh*t bucket for them or something. Your friend can be congratulated for buying healthy foods instead of standing in the WalMart line with a stack of Snickers bars. I don't like people who look down on others that are less fortunate than themselves. I know a lot of people who are poor but have hearts of gold. If I had been in line with your friend, I would have called the cashier out on her bad manners by loudly saying "Excuse me?!" You're the customer ... buying goods in their fine store. You're not there to be insulted at the checkout. Just my 2 cents

Best Answer

VERY WELL SAID! 👍🏼

Best Answer

My Opinion:
This is coming from a person on food stamps. I would have probably looked at her the same way. The point is it isn't her that is buying it. We are living off the government dime., not personal saving or 401k plan. Hard to find oils? What the f*#k. Designer Crap not essential for day to day living. She should be grateful she's eating anything at all.I'm going off on a tangent. I apologize. Just not enough details here to make a honest assessment.What was the lady wearing? Jewelry ? Talking on her smart phone. We don't know enough and I believe this person is trying to start a pity party.

Best Answer

you mean, like, "God forbid that someone on foodstamps should eat <i>healthy</i> food!"?

Best Answer

Basically when someone does something like that what they're really saying is "oh you need help to buy food,well you shouldn't be able to eat healthy,you get the stuff that bad for you" that is pure ignorance. If anything, someone who uses EBT & is actually using it to be healthier is setting an example to others & they should be commended for it not ridiculed. Wholefoods should train their employees to be respectful of everyone that enters their stores.

Best Answer

Exactly ! Amen 👌👍

Best Answer

You can buy healthy food at Super A , Ralph's, etc. From extensive first-hand experience I can tell you that 90% of what they're buying is gourmet food and fancy pastries.

Best Answer

Thank you. Well said. Hello, just because a person is on food stamps doesn't give them any less of a right than the next person to want to be concerned with what goes into their body or to want to be healthy. People need to stop being so judemental and try supporting one another. It's easy to be mean, try being nice.

Best Answer

Until recently I've always worked. After losing my job I had to apply for food stamps. I have always eaten healthy and organic. Why should that change because I lost my job. What I eat and where I shop is my business. The cashier, as well as many people in general (no offense) are simply ignorant. Shame on you if what's in my cart or how I pay bothers you.

Best Answer

That cashier doesn't deserve her job.

Best Answer

I very much agree with you! As I stated above. A lot of families who get the benefits have jobs. And are in fact paying taxes. So it really gets me going when I see all the hat full and rude comments. I mean most the people who don't get benefits, also spend WAY to much money on houses they can't afford, and eating out. So it goes both ways. In fact a lot of military families have to apply for food stamps just to make ends meet.

Best Answer

At least that cashier is working and being productive. Not to mention you don't know her side of the story as well, or what kind of day she was having, or if the original poster was exaggerating.

Best Answer

Here's the kicker, some people who get assistance have a job. Some even have more than one job. You're right though, it's quite alright to degrade someone just because you're having a bad day.

Best Answer

At least the cashier is being productive by working?? Some people actually have a need for assistance that they can't help! I just got on food assistance because I am pregnant and my horrible morning sickness is preventing me from working and I do not get paid leave. Not everyone on food assistance is lazy, you're ignorant!

Best Answer

People get benefits for a million reasons. One cannot assume that just because someone gets benefits they as lazy or unproductive. Her side of the story and what sort of day she was having are totally irrelevant in this case. When you work in retail, you smile through trouble and leave your problem at home.

Best Answer

I heart your sarcasm. Hopefully the person you are replying to will understand it for what it is. 😊

Best Answer

I am on EBT. I am also a graduate student and an AmeriCorps Volunteer. I receive a modest stipend therefore I NEED Snap benefits to survive. I am a productive member of society because I serve my community and I volunteer. Until I am able to fully support myself I will remain on food stamps. That cashier should of been reported. Everyone regardless of their economic status deserves a healthy meal. You're very misguided if you believe everyone on food stamps is lazy and unproductive. The issue is that the cashier was very inappropriate and discriminatory.

Best Answer

and I am enrolled in school. **

Best Answer

She's a cashier at a grocery store making minimum wage. She's one paycheck away from the same fate. She'd do well to remember that. People who need help these days are from ALL walks of life. There are families out there where both people are out of work and finding it difficult to find jobs comparable to what they were making. Many are taking two or more minimum wage jobs to make ends meet and still having problems. We are in that position in our home. Our household made six figures. We both worked for the last 30 years, sometimes more than one job. We're both out of work now with a parent with Alzheimers to care for as well. Companies are going out of business at an alarming rate. We have no mortgage (the house is long paid for), no credit cards, no debt of any kind. We've exhausted our savings. It can happen to ANYONE today, even you.

Best Answer

No. The Ebt card has a cap on what you can spend a month so if someone wants to get better food they should be able to. Otherwise why would whole foods even bother accepting them.

Best Answer

Why would someone do that? This makes no sense to me. Why should it bother you? And it shouldn't matter where they use it.

Best Answer

This program helps you and your family buy food needed for good health. It promotes healthy living and gives families a chance to eat raw fruits and vegetables, "whole foods". <br />
For anyone to snub their nose at someone using the program the way it is intended, well there is a special place for you. Karma has a way of forcing you to walk a mile you never intended!

Best Answer

I would so much rather see sick people or poor people buying organic then not. One of the fundamental ways to get out of hard times is to be physically healthy.

Best Answer

You can always hide your EBT card with a skin cover. EBTSkIN.com sells them. They have over 60 covers to choose from to customize your Food stamp card!

Best Answer

seriously? an EBT skin? they invent anything nowadays lmao.

Best Answer

If someone doesn't want to be stigmatized for using EBT, then find a way to support yourself instead of using more tax payer dollars to purchase pride.

Best Answer

i was in the army, working my behind off & i still met the required income to receive EBT. so, your assumption sounds very ignorant to the system. no one should be stigmatized for needing assistance to support their family.

Best Answer

F you! I've worked since I was 13 years old!!!! Recently lost my job and my husband is a disabled veteran, serving and covering YOUR ***... So who the hell are you to judge?!?!?!

Best Answer

My message was directed to williamsandersiii

Best Answer

Amen. Thank you for your service ( I'm a spouse of a disabled desert storm veteran)... It appears those who have not served the USA., are quick to judge, while those of us who have contributed and sacrificed beyond belief, that have "paid into the system"..... And need temporary assistance, THAT OUR Fing tax dollars have paid for.... For years... That's what it's intended for.

Best Answer

Actually, most people who need to use food assistance have worked for years or even decades. Some of those taxes go towards food assistance programs. It's unfortunate that so many people have such ugly attitudes towards people who are in that position. However, their are many other people who recognize that there are reasons for someone having to be on assistance. Remember, to give grace to others because it could be you who experiences a financial burden, illness, or looses your job. Most people would not choose food assistance if it were an option and for most who use it, it's a temporary help for a temporary need. Be kind!

Best Answer

It sounds like she was judging the purchase rather than the purchaser, but irregardless, it's not her job to question, but to assist in the purchase of the products. She probably won't last long.

Best Answer

Working at Whole Foods I'm sure the cashier was on EBT as well.

Best Answer

Exactly!

Best Answer

No, I buy organic when I can. I still buy the store brand and choose "basic" foods - meat, fruits, veggies. I have food stamps. I felt weird at first but I am ill and want to do anything I can to feel better. I do buy a few quick meals for the days when I am really feeling bad. I use my food stamps to purchase vegetable seeds and grow them in containers. I find very few coupons like the old days. the local food pantries give out very unhealthy food for the most part. Very difficult if you are on a specific medical diet like low sodium or diabetic. Bottom line here is I would rather have a small amount of quality food.

Best Answer

Not at all. In fact, I am an EBT user and what people don't know is that there are certain items that the card automatically will not cover. I've had celiac disease since I was 5 so I have to use my resources at healthy food stores like Whole Foods, Wegman's. I love supporting the local produce anyway, it tastes better and you know it's healthier for you. I don't ever take advantage of my card by using it for soda and candy. I don't even drink soda anyway so that's not much of an issue. People seem to assume that the mindset of an EBT user is a sense of entitlement and getting a handout? But it isn't like that at all. In fact, I absolutely loathe using it. I cover my card up whenever I use it and always try to checkout at the self checkout lanes to avoid any embarrassment. It sucks but until my disability goes through, I have no other option. I have a TBI from a car accident and because it's not visible, people assume it's not there. I do not appreciate anyone looking down on anyone else because of their inancial status. You have no idea what the other person is or has gone through. And I think everyone should take the chance to volunteer at their local Salvation Army during the holidays or Special Olympics. It's amazing what kind of compassion it teaches people. I'm disabled and donate my time to others who are in my shoes and some have it even worse. I really appreciate everyone's encouragement and kind words for those supporting EBT users and abstaining from judgment of others. It's incredible to see the definitive line between societal opinions and humble compassion. Thanks again everyone! And God bless you.

Best Answer

May God bless you and give you ease dealing with your ailment.

Best Answer

I agree with all that you stated. I am still humiliated when using my card because of the fact that there is such a stigma associated with it. I paid taxes working multiple jobs while simultaneously going to college (and my last year of high school, to boot), so, if I paid into the taxes, why can't I reap benefits when necessary? I also have disabilities, and am a single mother, but I am working toward a certificate which will enable me to get a job where most of my work can be done at home. Like you, I appreciate all those who have spoken out on behalf of those who receive benefits. Not all people are just lazy and abuse the system!! :) :)

Best Answer

In addition to all the other comments: how judge mental of that cashier. 1. Everyone deserves to eat healthy. Everyone. 2. No one has any idea about anyone else's financial situation or WHY they get benefits. There are emergency benefits for domestic abuse victims, benefits for disaster victims, benefits for the elderly , ect. But aside from all that: IT DOESNT MATTER WHY SOMEONE IS GETTING BENFITS. Moreover, it is none of the cashiers business. None at all.

Best Answer

OK, here is the thing. MOST i said most because not all, but MOST people have jobs who get Ebt benifits....so what does this mean....oh wait they are paying taxes ( am i right) so there for their taxes are also helping other people, so the people who are saying "oh well my taxes" well the person GETTING the benefits are also IN FACT, PAYING WHAT? TAXES!!!!

Best Answer

Who cares if it bothers them.who are they? Some people think that their opinions matter more than it does.people are aholes and I wish I was there <br />
to defend

Best Answer

Should have yelled back<br />
"yes, are you still making 9 bucks an hour?"

Best Answer

Your friend should have reported that cashier and gotten her fired.

Best Answer

I'd like to find out who this cashier is and give him/her a tip.

Best Answer

It's no different than students that use financial aid to pay for college<br />
everyone uses that system. It's a government dole. <br />
I go to college and I pay for it cash, so I use the ebt card.<br />
I was a builder for 20 years and have paid my fair share of taxes and I deserve to be able to use it.

Best Answer

No, and your friend should've complained about the cashier. How DARE she make a judgment about how your friend is paying, as long as she was paying. I guess she doesn't think the poor are entitled to buy things in her store.

Best Answer

The store should be responsible for ensuring that their employees are kind, respectful, and discreet.

Best Answer