Neither. Religion in and of itself does not cause mental illness. Religious fanaticism is a sign of mental illness. But wishing to have a spiritual dimension to one's life often PREVENTS mental illness.

Best Answer

well put

Best Answer

Is there a religion for fans of the non-fanatical...ie not non-denominational?

Best Answer

Many severely mentally ill people have been relgious zealots. There are famous cases, if one is interested in psychiatric history. Jim Jones and his Kool-Aid is one example.<br />
Being at too much tension with society causes psychiatric distress. This can make a religion stronger, but some of the members might suffer. This has happened in Ultra-Orthodox Jewry, and in Mormonism. And if we consider the Roman Catholic problem with celibacy, well, we all see what that can lead to. <br />
People create religions. Religions do not create people. That said, religion can be a great balm to a person in trouble.

Best Answer

Fuckwads.

Best Answer

Religion is the cause of most diseases, mental illness, wars, atrocities, abuses and most marriage failures! and sin!

Best Answer

Religion is a very broad term. Cults claim to be religious. Even Satanic believers consider themselves religious. Christianity claims to be a Religion. I agree that Religion can be a doorway to a lot of chaos and completely different perspectives. I do not believe in any religion but I do believe in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. It is all about loving others the way that you would want to be loved. It is about forgiving others because Jesus forgave us. It is NOT about war or killing in the name of some God or group. Jesus' ministry was all about love and that was the very first commandment. If you don't have love and forgiveness in your heart for those who have wronged you, then you are missing what Jesus' purpose on earth was all about. He is not religion. He is a way of life. I pray that you meet Him someday.

Best Answer

I"ve noticed that quite a few mentally ill people are obsessed with religion, (I've seen a lot of mentally ill people on the streets, and the religious thing is very common.)

Best Answer