On condition that they are sterilized.
unAmigo unAmigo 31-35, M 15 Answers Dec 26, 2012 in Politics

You are indirectly talking about a fascinating bit of American history in treatment of mental illness and schizophrenia. Until some legislation changed the relationship between the AMA and pharmaceuticals, schizophrenia was almost exclusively a disease of the poor or homeless. It was poorly defined, but basically any sort of erratic, antisocial behaviour would do. You me find a homeless person without erratic behaviour. <br />
So diagnosis of this mental illness was VERY heavily tied to social class, and as these things tend to follow, race. So the eugenics movement of sterilizing the "mentally ill" was in fact a way for rich white folks to try and get rid of poor not-white folks, with mental illness as the justification. <br />
This comes back to your idea of sterilizing the homeless. I commend you for bringing up a hateful, 100-year old racist argument that became one of the greater horrors of Nazi Germany. I really really hope you were joking. in which case we're cool. :D

Best Answer

Yes, exactly. When people propose these things I always wonder if they understand the history behind it. These are not only NOT new ideas, they're things we've already tried.

Best Answer

According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, each year 3.5 million Americans experience homelessness and on any given night, over 700,000 people are homeless.
Analysis by the coalition shows some of the top reasons why people are homeless in America include foreclosures, poverty, less secure jobs, declining availability of public assistance, addiction disorders, and mental illnesses.
The sheltered homeless population is estimated to be 42 percent Black, 38 percent White, 20 percent Hispanic, 4 percent Native American and 2 percent Asian.
Studies indicate that children make up 23 percent of those experiencing homelessness while 40 percent of homeless men have served in the armed forces. Every night in America an estimated 100,000 veterans are homeless in the streets or housed in relief centers.

Best Answer

Been homeless before and the government did not help, I relied on charity and myself. That being said I have no loyalty to the US, I live here but have no love for it.

Best Answer

O.K. sorry to hear that. I mean the first part.

Best Answer

Some guy in Germany had similar ideas. And considering the percentage of Americas homeless who are Ex service people I would hope a little compassion could be shown to repay the debt owed to them.

Best Answer

Americans have never been, nor will they ever be, grateful enough to do that. Did your dad take you down to the disabled vets like mine did in the 60s at Christmas time? Those guys were diamonds, as is my dad, but they had been swept into places where only the other veterans and their kids visited. It is not much different now.

Best Answer

No nation or its people ever does right by the people it breaks in conflict. It would serve the mnations right if they held a war and no one turned up. Maybe the politicians would have to duke it out. I bet they would get cared for then.

Best Answer

The folks in Germany got the idea from us. Eugenics was being considered in the U.S. (and London) before Nazi Germany started looking at it seriously.

Best Answer

No. That is the job of charities and individuals, not governments.

Best Answer

If we hadn't gotten rid of our public mental health system in an attempt to privatise it we wouldn't have nearly the number of homeless that we do. And compulsory sterilisation assumes that the person will never recover or be able to lead a normal life. If it's not something you'd consider for yourself or your loved ones in the event that any of you somehow became homeless, it's heartless to suggest it for someone else.

Best Answer

One in 4 of us pays 50% or more of their income in rent. So if you spend half your money on rent, you can't save for emergencies much, can you?<br />
Millions of working poor folks in this country are only one paycheck from being out on the street.<br />
If you aren't living check to check you're both bright and lucky...but you aren't invulnerable either-one chronic illness can still bankrupt you...so you;d better carry long term and short-term disability, as well as the best insurance you can get.<br />
I saw someone I used to work for-my manager-panhandling for money a few years ago...If you have a huge slide into misfortune, how do you know you won't be waving that cardboard?

Best Answer

Yes...it's the responsibility of the government of the people

Best Answer

Absolutely, and we can eliminate all foreign aid to pay for it.

Best Answer

Yes I do. Even prisoners get a bed, food and free medical

Best Answer

They already homeless shelters available everywhere. What the Government should do is give free education instead of charging us for student loans.

Best Answer

They do there are homeless shelters all over

Best Answer