It's true that people who habitually use drugs are using them to feel better or even "normal"...substance abuse and mental health disorders often are found in the same people. Experimental drug use is probably different; in that case, it's just people looking for a thrill or a rush.

Best Answer

Absolutely, drugs are a band-aid for pain you endure and must acknowledge. They do work for awhile, but then they turn on you.

Best Answer

In some cases yes and in others no!

Best Answer

Agreed. Sometimes it's merely recreational. I think the people who say that it's always people trying to cure pain are single minded.

Best Answer

not always, sometimes they're a magic carpet ride to a colorful and wonderful world

Best Answer

Agreed.

Best Answer

My friends started smoking pot when we were "estranged ' but when we started hanging around again I did it because they were. So there is no masking there , it was just doing what they were doing. Maybe later when I became a daily user I used it on occasion for confidence or to impress someone. Or to fit in but I liked the feeling so I used it for the high.

Best Answer

Not necessarily. Some people take drugs because they want to and they like them.

Best Answer

Sometimes. Most of the people I know who have had problems with substance abuse (including alcohol) tell me it made them feel more confident, outgoing, less depressed, a variety of things having to do with feeling more "normal". Of course, the effects were not lasting and led to bad things down the road, but for many that was the initial attraction.

Best Answer