I asked questions abuot hallucinations many times. I posted a story about having hallucinations. Nobody asked me how I was doing. Nobody in my cirlce said anything. Just observing reality.
unAmigo unAmigo 31-35, M 20 Answers Jan 11, 2013 in Loneliness

I've talked to all different kinds of people dealing with different types of illnesses. There are good people on here...but that shouldn't replace local therapy where you live. People are here to be your friend, but can't be your therapist.

Best Answer

Nobody wants to be friends with a seriously ill person.

Best Answer

Well, if that seriously ill person is extremely negative all the time...that might be a turn off for others. But, no, you are wrong...I'm friends with many..

Best Answer

Yeah well sometimes we bond with each other so it's still helpful for a support group.

Best Answer

I agree. =)

Best Answer

A site could never replace therapy. But you can find some people to talk to.

Best Answer

Bullshit!

Best Answer

I have.

Best Answer

Agree with mstericel, EP can't be a substitute for professional help but what it can do is be a place to relate to others and find support. Even though there are many trolls, pervs and people who are here just to kill time, there are people who are willing to listen and help where they can. Might take a while to find them though.

Best Answer

bull.

Best Answer

Why?

Best Answer

Because I said I was having hallucinations and nobody in my circle or poeple answering questions ever said, hey want to be my friend or hey, how are you doing with them. You guys are lying.

Best Answer

Is it easy to relate to somebody who has a mental illness? Fun? No. I am just observing the facts.

Best Answer

Fair point. Though the Q&A section probably isn't the best place to get support. If all you need is a someone to listen just ask if anyone is up for a chat in your circle or outside of it. Im sure they would be a some who would genuinely listen.

Best Answer

Well, I will tell you the problem. If you are having a serioius mental illness the people who are having it probably are not going to be of much help. And the people outside of it don t know what to say or how to help. It is good to share experiences but it has a limited therapeutic value to overcome the illness. Sorry to sound standoffish.

Best Answer

You raise fair points and dont apologise, it is understandable. Even though many here most likely cannot relate to those with serious mental illness I hope that doesn't mean they alienate or stigmatise those that do. We may not understand but what we can do is just be there. It may not be much but its something I guess.

Best Answer

Well stated! I just have a strong feeling about this because I think people are in denial.

Best Answer

It seems to be there are a lot of "expectations" flying around. So then what would the answer be to your expectations marsfan? What do you expect from people on EP VS posts regarding mental illeness. A comforting word, a redirect to professional help, an attempt at understanding, just a place to vent? What do you hope to achieve with this discussion? If you had truly given up on it then I can only assume you venting right now, which does not require discourse of any kind.

Best Answer

People don't NEED to ask a question that they already KNOW thee answer to

Best Answer

O.K. that is a good question. What do you expect from people on EP VS posts regarding mental illeness?

Best Answer

there is no help for mental illness. as long as this world is sh^t, nothing will ever be right. those who are happy lead a life of denial and/or ignorance.

Best Answer

ok, then you just don't care.

Best Answer

I am new here, but from what i have read,learned and experienced from being on here in such a short time...there ARE ppl here who care about others and they DO take the time to talk to someone. However, this site isn't meant to replace the help and expertise of a trained professional, nor should anyone think it is. As this post is coming from someone who has been around some of the most extreme forms of metal illness my entire life.....it can be a very complex & multifaceted condition that can be very overwhelming for anyone who has little to no understanding or experience of to deal with. I have read some of the most outrageous responses to someone who is struggling with severe depression, to some of the most kindhearted,well intentioned attempts to help. Plainly and simply....trying to help someone who is suffering with mental illness can very quickly become overwhelming and can make anyone feel like they are not equipped to deal with something of this magnitude...and unfortunately can be misunderstood as not caring about that person or having the time for them. I think that is a very general and unfair assumption to make.

Best Answer

You contradict yourself. That said perhaps this is better than nothing.

Best Answer

how exactly do I contradict myself?

Best Answer

People care. Some people don{t care. People don{t feel they can deal with it. It is unfair to say it is a failure. It is a failure because people feel they can{t deal with it.

Best Answer

well...if you choose to take bits and pieces out of what I said and put them together so that they directly contradict one another, that's your choice. if you also choose to add in things I didn't say....that is your choice as well,however...I choose to no longer contribute to this conversation

Best Answer

EP is not a shrink site. Deal with it.

Best Answer

I am not complaining just making an observation.

Best Answer

Yes, you're correct, you're not complaining...... you're WHINING

Best Answer

I suffer with depression, suicidal thoughts and DID's(dislocative identity disorder).EP has been a gift from heaven,The people,stories ect have done more for me then my therapist.Just knowing someone is there,anyone is there.I can't wait to get home and connect with the people,stories on here.If I'm all up set,EP helps calm me,it's nice to know you aren't the only one with issues of some kind.

Best Answer

There ARE caring people on EP; ones, including me, who will take you seriously - but I agree there are many others who won't.<br />
Even so, the best we can do is offer moral support and a degree of at least understanding, since we're not clinicians and EP does not pretend to be a medical advisory body. <br />
Although a Briton I also know that the American health system offers little to anyone who is not well off.<br />
However you (Marsfan) seem to reject anyone who doesn't support your thesis that EP is a "failure". If it is, it's because it's not set up to offer professional-standard help. <br />
Hallucinations? I am not a clinician but I do know that all five senses can create hallucinations, though visions and "voices" are perhaps the most common types; and that they can be very frightening. It's also emerging that although hallucinations are usually associated with various illnesses or brain damage, otherwise-fully "well" people can have them.<br />
I hope you do find support on EP; but can also find professional help; just as I did some years ago for my own mental problems that didn't create hallucinations but did lead to dangerous nightmares.

Best Answer

Very well put. And as you said, "it's because it's not set up to offer professional-standard help."

Best Answer

just because you didn't get the response you want doesn't mean EP is a failure. <br />
sorry you had this experience. but randomly adding people to your circle doesn't make them your friends. nor does them adding you to their circle.<br />
if you have hallucinations, you need to see a doc.

Best Answer

EP is for support as everyone else has said, this site has never claimed to take place for actual legal or health issues, it even says so: "Answers to questions are provided for entertainment purposes only. You should never use answers to questions provided here to replace professional advice, such as from a doctor or lawyer. This page is for providing answers to the question."

Best Answer

EPis indeed not a failure to depressed people if you only take the time to just listen to somebody's story and respond in a "kind" way. I think there are a lot of people who use EP as a venting thingee. I know I do. Knowing someone else shares my good days and bad days are enough for me... And I have people in my "real" life who are there for me but do not suffer in ways I do and therefore not understand my daily struggles. Many many people are out there on EP just to hear: wow this person is feeling the same way as me and it ought to be enough just to know that Don't ask for more than what is offered---accept with gratitude what IS being offered.

Best Answer

Sigh...

Best Answer

The number one reason people with mental illnesses fail to succeed is because they have a lack of emotional support. Talking to people on forums such as this a great idea, especially considering how few of us here have insurance and can't get professional help. Our country has no medical relief assistance just for being poor; you have to have a kid or two to get mental health assistance.

Best Answer

U post this question, I see MANY people responding, your attitude is pure BULLCRAP.... shut the fvck up u whiner

Best Answer

Right! Then why don't the people who answered my questions about halluciantions add me as friends or send me a private message? You can't say this is a support site and not have anybody offer support.

Best Answer

They don't have to add u or message u to b supportive... U r misguided there

Best Answer

If you are seriously ill, you can inquire of the people of EP where you can solicit help ... however if you are just needing someone to talk to I am sure there are many sober minded people who would love to chat with you.

Best Answer

Solicit help outside of EP. Right!

Best Answer

What do you want the people of EP to do? If you are seriously ill you would need the help of persons trained in that area. However, if you need someone to talk to ... yes there are many willing to help you. You have chosen the people in your circle ... if they are not interested in you, you cannot spit venom on everybody.

Best Answer

bullshit.

Best Answer

Not true I talk to all kinds of sick people here

Best Answer

Are they in your circle?

Best Answer

Some are some aren't

Best Answer

Why is that smolder?...You not in my circle

Best Answer