My friend dropped some homemade ones off for me. They are wrapped in corn husks. Am I supposed to discard the husks or lie to her about how good they were to eat whole?
freeed freeed 61-65, M 5 Answers Jan 15, 2013 in Food

I think they are not tortillas.<br />
They sound like tamales.<br />
They are usually wrapped in husks or banana leaves to preserve moisture. Once they are warm you discard them.

Best Answer

I'd give her a call and ask. Tell her you really want to enjoy them but have never had them before. It'll go over better than a lie. :)

Best Answer

Are they tortillas or tamales? I never saw tortillas wrapped in corn husks. If they are tamales, heat them up and discard the corn husks as you are eating each one.

Best Answer

TAMALES! That's it. Whew! I don't have to lie...tried eating one but couldn't swallow it :(

Best Answer

The authentic recipes use lard in the corn covering of tamales. I don't eat pork at all so it's either homemade or canned ones for me.

Best Answer

Sounds like a tamale. Tortillas are just flat corn cakes. Ever have them, let's see I live in El Paso, TX right on the mexican border. 95% of the people in this town are hispanic. 100% of the restaurants are mexican restaurants...Every grocery store in this town has row after row of mexican food...nope never heard of them.

Best Answer