Like 'a terrifying development', instead of 'people at the scene were terrified.' Or a 'scary scene developing', instead of 'We are scared about...' Everyone's feelings about something are naturally different. Not 'It is terrifying' because that may or may not be true. There does not seem to be one right emotion, since each person's relationship to what is happening is different. Saying a scene is terrifying is not actually reporting anything. It doesn't say what is happening.
chimbie88 chimbie88 31-35, M 8 Answers May 21, 2013 in Community

and its been going on for years now , my TV is in the hall closet I refuse

Best Answer

good for you.

Best Answer

and don't you love the teasers 15 minutes before the broadcast they come on and give the most horrific description of a crime as if its an episode of law and order . and who is that one guy who dictates what all the news stations will cover because not one is any different than the other so they parade the best looking people they can find not that they can speak any better only that they are cuter than the other guys

Best Answer

they all look like children to me. And I don't mean age. I mean maturity.

Best Answer

waaaait a second... Are you implying that 'good looking' people aren't people that we should ALWAYS listen to by nature of their good looks and sweet sweet voice? lol How dare you sir lol

Best Answer

you know what I mean ...lmbo as soon as a woman on TV starts to wrinkle she's "promoted"

Best Answer

I was being sarcastic

Best Answer

I knew that , its just that i don't have real life friends and when I get to talking I don't when to shut up ...lol

Best Answer

yours is the kind of babbling that I actually enjoy because it has substance. I'd rather deal with you talking non stop then the majority of people htat ACTUALLY never stop talking lol. And I just wanted to make sure that you knew I was just joking hehe. Sometimes with text its hard to tell :D

Best Answer

There is always that day after telling you what they think happens they find out the were wrong all a long.<br />
Everyone what to beat the other guy to the story and fact be damned

Best Answer

They are sensationalists. I get vaguely nauseated because I almost feel like they're trying to drum up excitement.

Best Answer

yes

Best Answer

A bit. I wish they're spend more time reporting facts and a hell of a lot less time interviewing talking heads telling the viewers what they SHOULD think about the facts.

Best Answer

couldn't agree more.

Best Answer

And I hate this chirpy/charming/we-have-to-make-smart-quips reporting that seems to prevalent these days.

Best Answer

lol so agree.

Best Answer

Yes. The "news" is mostly lecturing us as if we are little children and they are "experts." Pathetic idiot talking heads.

Best Answer

There is a story about a journalism professor who gave a final exam. The exam consisted of a set of facts that could be put into a news story, and had 7 parts. Each of the 7 parts was to write the facts into a brief news story with a specified spin or slant. Such a final exam for example could ask for a spin that person A is the bad guy, a spin that person B is the bad guy, a spin that person A is the victim, a spin that person B is the victim, a spin that there are no winners in the story, a spin that person A is not much at fault, and a spin that person B is not much at fault.

The point of such a final exam is that the owner or a news editor could ask for a certain spin on a story. If on 5 or 6 or 7 out of 7 such requests a news reporter can effectively deliver the spin asked for by the owner or editor, then he will probably keep his job. Likewise, if 5 or 6 or 7 out of the 7 news stories that the student writes into his answers on the final exam effectively deliver the respective spins required by the professor, then the student will probably get a passing grade.

To sum up, while a reporter does have some literary license to achieve a large following for himself (and therefore a large revenue for the owner), the reality of news, just as in any other occupation, is that that the man who signs the paycheck tends to be the man who makes most of the rules. For example, if the chief editor of Russian state television wants to make Putin look like the great hero of the 21st Century with regard to the Crimean crisis of 2014, while at the same time wanting to make Prince Charles look like the second coming of the evil dictator Adolf Hitler, then the majority of the time Russian state television will say good things about Putin and bad things about Prince Charles.

Best Answer