halbert halbert 46-50, M 6 Answers Jun 22, 2012

I say it cause we arent married but we are way more serious than girlfriend and boyfriend. If I called him my husband it would be a bit dishonest imo

Best Answer

I'm the same. Headed that way, but no ring just yet. Little bit hard being in separate hemispheres - we're getting married next year but I don't really call him my fiance or anything. Even though for all intents and purposes I suppose he is.

Best Answer

I hope your gonna be very happy together :-)

Best Answer

Like Abbot and Costello? The modern version of partner would be confusing in that situation, wouldn't it?

Best Answer

Yep. My beef is that the modern version/definition is so ambiguous because the heterosexual couples are using it now and a few years back it was just the homosexual couples. You kinda' had a better idea of what was intended just a couple of years ago.

Best Answer

It's basically seen as a neutral word and is used to fudge the issues of whether the "partners" are married or co-habiting, whether their relationship has any specific legal basis, and also incidentally what sex each of them is. It implies a more permanent status than 'boyfriend' or 'girlfriend', but I don't think there's any definitive requirement attached to being a "partner".

Best Answer

All true. But you said it yourself. "is used to fudge the issues". I just wish for a better term.

Best Answer

Most often I hear it referring to a gay or lesbian couple that have been together for a long time but are not married because they still don't have the right to.

Best Answer

That's where I'm more used to hearing it. But now heterosexual couples are using it so much that it requires a follow up question. Which may seem rude.

Best Answer

Better to ask here, on neutral ground, I guess. Most of my unmarried friends who have been dating along just say that they're "together" and don't call their guys boyfriends or anything.

Best Answer

I believe a partner is simply someones companion in life at the time. Just my opinion though.

Best Answer