I once went to visit a distant cousin many years ago and he offered10 bottles of opened wine with corks in it. The bottles were an expensive label, but he had put very cheap old tasting wine in the bottles. I knew it wasn't the same wine, because I occasionally drink that brand. He said he opened the bottles because he wanted to be prepared for everyone... yeah , right ! LOL...wow...
Carrie7 Carrie7 51-55, F 11 Answers Nov 24, 2012 in WTK

One of my late aunts, married to a multi-millionaire, used to still fill her pocketbook with left-over rolls, etc., from restaurants. Having grown up extremely poor in the depression, she never broke the habit of making sure no food went to waste.

Best Answer

What an image that conjures. lol

Best Answer

That would be me. I live right at the poverty level, and still have decent access to luxuries, don't receive welfare or unemployment, and live alone (which is a luxury in itself).<br />
But I don't eat out (unless someone else is paying), don't drink soda or alcohol or coffee, don't buy things I can borrow (like movies, books, or video games--my local library loans out all of them), and I use alternative transportation for local errands (walking or riding a bicycle). I also buy used clothing.

Best Answer

I know at least two people: First was my mom's neighbor lady. Those cheap plastic bags that are in the produce aisle at stores, the things you put grapes, tomatos, apples, that type of stuff in, she not only SAVED then reused all those bags, she actually would triple and quadruple those bags in the market so she'd have them on hand at home for her own use.<br />
The other a guy I've known all my life. He was getting milk on the way home one night. I know having been to his place 100's of time they always get the gallon jug of milk, but this night he had two half gallon cartons on the counter. When it came time to pay for his purchase the two half gallon cartons were 6 cents higher that what the one gallon jug would have cost him. He pleaded his case he should get the milk for the same price as the gallon jug since they didn't have any of those on hand. I thought he was joking, but he was dead serious, and unbelievably the cashier reached into the till and gave my friend his 6 cents. Totally dumbfounded but not surprising I guess as that was one of many things he'd done over the years I've known him.

Best Answer

Lol. your tale about the wine is hilarious. I dont know anyone who is particularly cheap or a skinflint. We were a very typical poor Irish family, but were never encouraged to be frugal. The generation after us, my nephews/nieces etc are all quite wealthy and incredibly generous. The family parties are epic for food and drink. lol

Best Answer

My great aunt, made me eat the peel of an orange, beacue it was wasteful to just eat the orange and throw away the peel.

Best Answer

My eldest brother

Best Answer

My mother is frugal..<br />
I wish I had learned how to stretch a penny like she does..<br />
she did teach me how to touch my nose with my tongue, and twist cherry stems.into knots..

Best Answer

The cheapest guy I know is also my favorite guy in the world. He's so cheap its cute. And my Great Grandmother was from Germany and when I would visit her we were only allowed to use 3 squares of tp...

Best Answer

Santa Claus

Best Answer