scatterheart scatterheart 13-15, F 15 Answers May 14, 2012

I'm as patriotic as just about anyone - but think this is dumb. Our country was founded on ideals - not a piece of cloth.

That said, when people decide to burn the flag, if I find out about it I don't feel any obligation to like them at all.

(I once saw an Evergreen State student burning one at an anti-war rally in Westlake Center and two years later he was sitting in my offices waiting for an interview. It was my great pleasure to tell my HR manager that hiring this guy would be a mistake and I'd do it again tomorrow. If it's a freedom of speech issue, then what he said made sure he didn't get the job.)

Best Answer

Just because someone is free to speak whatever they like doesn't mean that the rest of us are obligated to like them for it.

Best Answer

Sometimes, flag burning is seen as a act of Patriotism. It's better that a flag is destroyed than soiled, for example.

For myself, I think it's symbolism. If the flag means nothing to you, burning it means nothing. If the flag is important to you, then burning it says a great deal. I still wouldn't call it Blasphemy, though.

Best Answer

Just a piece of fabric. I don't understand why people often seem to consider a flag like some kind of religious object. It's almost like they worship it as a holy idol.

Best Answer

a statement but in a free society I would rather see a flag burn than a building or a person

Best Answer

someones burns the flag that person should be set on fire and sent back to wherever they came from...

Best Answer

it is people like you I do not want on my side at all keep your flag because you have no idea what it stands for and thank you for showing your true colors they are not the red white and blue they are black and blue followed by a puddle of red

Best Answer

Definitely just a piece if fabric!

Best Answer

I personally don't care if someone burns the flag. I believe in the freedom to burn whatever symbol you like. Besides, most American flags are made in China anyway.

Best Answer

Just don't do it inside my house... Got a lot of flamable stuff.

Best Answer

listen people......im all about the freedoms of this country ...especially freedom of speech......but the problem with this country today and society as a whole is the abuse of these freedoms...where do we draw the line?...when do we put our foot down?...do we continue to let people people abuse the great ideals that this country was founded on and walk all over us. we are becoming a pushover in the yes of the rest of the world....burning the flag is spitting in the face of america...if i walked off the street to some of your houses and began ******* all over your doorstep youd be pretty pissed that ive disrespected your home that way...ans no one has ever laid down their lives they way our troops do to protect your home...think about that

Best Answer

it is not illegal to do so you are a fool to think you can resort to violence you are no American you are a communist

Best Answer

and your a liberal

Best Answer

lol....im from nyc....i would love to take you to the world trader center memorial stand you in front t of all the hundreds of families that lost someone that day and have you tell them they when these terrorists burn the flag in celebration that you think its just a piece of fabric im sure youd get a very warm new york welcome!!!

Best Answer

This country was founded by rich English men who slaughtered the indigenous, raped the land of its natural resources, and believed women and blacks shouldn't have any rights. What a wonderful history. The Land of the Free... if you're a rich land-owning white male. I wish Native Americans were still running this country... the world would have been a safer, cleaner, and overall better place.

Best Answer

It's about as big a statement as making an effigy. What's important is the symbolism behind the act.

Best Answer

In America, it's a 1st Amendment 'right of speech' thing.

Best Answer

blasphemy has to do with religion

Best Answer

really? It can solely be used in context with religion? I didn't know... sorry.

Best Answer

not tryin to be an *******. just sayin.

Best Answer

It's fine. I might argue with you on that one though. The flag is sacred to some. Not religious in nature, but it still holds the same weight. Can anyone reading this provide a 3rd opinion?

Best Answer