I'm not on public assistance, but I don't take illicit drugs (presc<x>ription, which I'm guessing they accept) either, so even if I was it wouldn't be an issue. <br />
But I wonder, what happens if the person tests positive ? She doesn't get to feed her kids that month ? Does the state pay for her rehab and provide foster care for her kids in the meantime ? How does it work in Florida ?

Best Answer

I feel that it is wrong to treat everyone who needs some help as if they were criminals, but I wouldn't move around to avoid it.

Best Answer

Okay for the first time in YEARS I disagree with you. Every company I have been associated with in the last dozen years, does a drug test. In doing so, I do not think they are treating Me like a criminal. I DO STRONGLY disagree, that if you choice of Recreation is Legal, then what you Chose to do on YOUR TIME should not be up for discussion with your employer, UNLESS it interferes with you doing your job WHILE YOU ARE ON THE CLOCK.

Best Answer

I wasn't thinking of it that way. If all they want is an initial test when one applies, that is not a big deal. My issue is that I was on welfare/food stamps/medicaid when I was too ill to work, but hadn't yet managed to access disability payments, though I did in fact qualify, but it took years to get my court date in order to be able to be declared eligible. So I think about some poor single parent whose barely hanging on having to repeatedly show up on demand to take a random drug test when there is no reason for it other than the fact that she is asking the state to help her out, because she is too sick to work and has a child to provide for.

Best Answer

Extend it,if they can afford drugs they do not need welfare.

Best Answer

Florida has a higher rate of abuse of pharmaceuticals than any other state in the country. Look up "Florida pill-mills"..... One doctor falsely prescribing patients can see a patient every couple of minutes and put 20,000 pills a day into the hands of traffickers and drug abusers. I can totally understand why they've implemented drug testing this way. Soliciting taxpayer funding = federal prerogatives to monitor the populace = they still think the war on drugs is eventually going to work.

Best Answer

Very well put.

Best Answer

Makes sense, handouts should be conditional on people not being crackheads.

Best Answer

About time as well

Best Answer

Way past time, if I have to pass a drug test to WORK then they should if they are sitting on their assets collecting welfare &amp; getting free food (that my taxes pay for); having said that all of you who are going to BLAST back at me saying not all on welfare are cheats, evidently you miss the point, this is ONLY directed at those who DO NOT DESERVE SUCH ASSISTANCE.

Best Answer

Good to hear ... While there are some folks that do need the help there are others that abuse the system and are satisfied to take that monthly check while finding stuff to get high on. Hope it works

Best Answer

You &amp; me brother!
I finally broke down to get food stamps. This was Right after Katrina...(I'm in Tx) and I was told all the monies were tied up helping those in LOUISIANNA.
Then a year later I went to my local food bank to get groceries, no job, eating out of garbage cans...no utilities for 8 yrs......was told no CURRENT WATER BILL, NO FOOD.

Best Answer

A great idea for those that toke and gloat as the rest of us work,<br />
Better said die you ************* who misuse public assistance,

Best Answer

Such a poetic response.

Best Answer

If it makes just one person think twice about starting drugs and getting hooked... Or if it helps just one person make the decision to get off drugs... Then I'd call it successful.

Best Answer

I was drug tested where I worked. If I didn't want to get tested, I'd get fired and not receive money. Since these people don't even have to work for their money, I think it's fair for them to be tested in order to get the handout.

Best Answer