cheysghost cheysghost 56-60, F 18 Answers Dec 8, 2012 in Health

I feel that it is wrong to treat everyone who needs some help as if they were criminals, but I wouldn't move around to avoid it.

Best Answer

Okay for the first time in YEARS I disagree with you. Every company I have been associated with in the last dozen years, does a drug test. In doing so, I do not think they are treating Me like a criminal. I DO STRONGLY disagree, that if you choice of Recreation is Legal, then what you Chose to do on YOUR TIME should not be up for discussion with your employer, UNLESS it interferes with you doing your job WHILE YOU ARE ON THE CLOCK.

Best Answer

I wasn't thinking of it that way. If all they want is an initial test when one applies, that is not a big deal. My issue is that I was on welfare/food stamps/medicaid when I was too ill to work, but hadn't yet managed to access disability payments, though I did in fact qualify, but it took years to get my court date in order to be able to be declared eligible. So I think about some poor single parent whose barely hanging on having to repeatedly show up on demand to take a random drug test when there is no reason for it other than the fact that she is asking the state to help her out, because she is too sick to work and has a child to provide for.

Best Answer

Extend it,if they can afford drugs they do not need welfare.

Best Answer

I'm not on public assistance, but I don't take illicit drugs (presc<x>ription, which I'm guessing they accept) either, so even if I was it wouldn't be an issue. <br />
But I wonder, what happens if the person tests positive ? She doesn't get to feed her kids that month ? Does the state pay for her rehab and provide foster care for her kids in the meantime ? How does it work in Florida ?

Best Answer

Florida has a higher rate of abuse of pharmaceuticals than any other state in the country. Look up "Florida pill-mills"..... One doctor falsely prescribing patients can see a patient every couple of minutes and put 20,000 pills a day into the hands of traffickers and drug abusers. I can totally understand why they've implemented drug testing this way. Soliciting taxpayer funding = federal prerogatives to monitor the populace = they still think the war on drugs is eventually going to work.

Best Answer

Very well put.

Best Answer

Makes sense, handouts should be conditional on people not being crackheads.

Best Answer

About time as well

Best Answer

Way past time, if I have to pass a drug test to WORK then they should if they are sitting on their assets collecting welfare &amp; getting free food (that my taxes pay for); having said that all of you who are going to BLAST back at me saying not all on welfare are cheats, evidently you miss the point, this is ONLY directed at those who DO NOT DESERVE SUCH ASSISTANCE.

Best Answer

It will cost the state more in drug testing expenses than they will save.

Best Answer

Excellent point.

Best Answer

Good to hear ... While there are some folks that do need the help there are others that abuse the system and are satisfied to take that monthly check while finding stuff to get high on. Hope it works

Best Answer

You &amp; me brother!
I finally broke down to get food stamps. This was Right after Katrina...(I'm in Tx) and I was told all the monies were tied up helping those in LOUISIANNA.
Then a year later I went to my local food bank to get groceries, no job, eating out of garbage cans...no utilities for 8 yrs......was told no CURRENT WATER BILL, NO FOOD.

Best Answer

A great idea for those that toke and gloat as the rest of us work,<br />
Better said die you ************* who misuse public assistance,

Best Answer

Such a poetic response.

Best Answer

If it makes just one person think twice about starting drugs and getting hooked... Or if it helps just one person make the decision to get off drugs... Then I'd call it successful.

Best Answer

I was drug tested where I worked. If I didn't want to get tested, I'd get fired and not receive money. Since these people don't even have to work for their money, I think it's fair for them to be tested in order to get the handout.

Best Answer

if I was in need of public assistance and didn't have a job I wouldn't be doing drugs . The working majority is getting tired of supporting losers . I'm waiting for someone to initiate a bill for unwed mothers who have multiple children and no idea who the father is

Best Answer

Hey Charlie I am with you on that one. Here it is the illegal mexicans with mulitple children BORN HERE thus usually ending up with AMNESTY from some lame President. Like in recent news illegal mexican mom, 6 kids might be deported back to Mexico...but no senor, I am their momma.......

Best Answer

and that's why I didn't vote for him this time , that 14 th amendment loop hole should have been closed a 100 yrs ago .

Best Answer

Just so that you know, Saint Ronnie Raygun did the very same thing in 1986 with the Simpson-Mazzoli Act. He gave across the board amnesty, with the proviso that going forward, employers had to verify legal status before hiring or face massive fines. The loophole, however, was that employers only had to make a "reasonable" (read cursory) effort to verify authenticity of documentation presented. So here we are, again.

Best Answer