I am a stay-at-home mom but I just started taking my kid to a local daycare one day per week for a few hours just so she can be around other kids. When I filled out the packet of paperwork today they gave me a release to sign that said they were allowed to put my kid's picture up on the wall of the daycare (with her name), and that they were allowed to put her picture up on their Facebook page. I told them no and they acted like I was strange, even after I explained that I was in social services for 10 years and there lots of folks I really would prefer not be able to find anything anything out about me and my family, especially my kid. I don't have a Facebook account for the same reason. I know some think I'm overprotective in this way but those people haven't had to deal with some of the individuals I've had to deal with in the past. Anyone else have to sign something like that? Am I being ridiculously overprotective?
FourCatsTooMany FourCatsTooMany 36-40, F 13 Answers Aug 13, 2012 in Motherhood

I never signed those permissions. I did not allow the center to use my children's pictures or names on anything published anywhere. I do not think that is overprotective. You are the only one who can protect your child's privacy. A lot of people go in and out of those centers. I wonder if child molesters and abductors are able to lure children to them by knowing their names. Why take a chance?

Best Answer

That is exactly my point. The chance, however small or miniscule, is still a chance, and I'm not willing to risk it. My friends and sister-in-law plaster their kids all over Facebook and I think it's like fishing for pedos. None of them can understand my "hang up" either. Oh well, it's my kid's privacy, and as you say, I'm the only one who can protect it. Once something is out there you really can't take it back.

Best Answer

I agree I think it depends, I normally wouldn't allow it. I've always been an uptight mom and really up tight about there safety and I would feel them to be vulnerable if they were put up on Facebook. I'm really excited to put my child into daycare in Tacoma and don't want them to have that kind of thing going on.

Best Answer

Thanks for answering- i think I could be called uptight too but as someone else said, parents are really the only ones who are there to protect our kids. They were just going to do first names only but the owner/teacher seemed shocked when I declined to hand over a pic or sign a release. Just doesn't sit well with me. She kind of got a little miffed after that and acted like I was being ridiculous. Maybe I was but I'm not going to do something I'm not comfortable with just to make someone else happy. Oh well, she will live. She still gets paid so I'm sure she'll get over it.

Best Answer

nope i don t l;ike face book young kid i work with got fired for something he wrote on facebook it causes lot family fights and problems. put kids pics on it no way that is crazy!!!

Best Answer

Attention to all parents: <br />
Please stop posting about poop, postign pictures of your child pooping, shrieking that you don't know true love until you have a kid, and that being a mother is the hardest job of all.<br />
We get it, we're thankful to our own mothers, but I could care less if your child pooped in the tub and played with it like a toy boat. I also believe that career women work just as hard as mothers, especially when career women are mothers. so STFU parents, and stop posting squicky photos.<br />
Thank you for listening.

Best Answer

Erm...off topic but I'm pretty sure they only wanted to post a picture of my child's face, not her poop, but you're right, nobody cares about someone else's kid's poo boat.

Best Answer

If you're trying to stay low profile I have no idea why people could disagree with it. I thought that much was obvious from your details. Sorry to go so off topic but parents go a bit overboard with facebook sometimes.

Best Answer

Wow this is a late response (sorry) but I wanted to say I completely agreed with you there. I have no idea why parents think anyone else would be interest in seeing every single little thing their kid did every moment of every day, and the 'squicky' ones definitely have to go! Amen to that, even if it was off topic. The kids won't thank their parents later for it, I'm sure. So much for dignity. Anyway, as for me, the owner/teacher was actually shocked and annoyed that I didn't want any pics out there, even without last names. I wasn't expecting her reaction I suppose and it made me wonder if it was so unusual that I didn't consent. From these answers, I'm guessing it's not.

Best Answer

hecks no not being overprotective, people are doing all kinds of things with kids pics now and if you sign a release, you don't know where, what or who --- hecks no. Plus, lot of people have escaped abuse, you don't want nobody locating you -- kinda scary that they ask that .... facebook? people can download that too and cut and paste what they want, hecks no - -- i'd keep my eyes on the staff and the tenants -- they might do it anyway without your permission --

Best Answer

I agree with you.<br />
It's to easy to take a child now<br />
To post a picture and name just tells <br />
the pervert where they can go to pick the child of their choice.<br />
If fact I would question the fact that they would even do such a thing.<br />
Change daycare NOW

Best Answer

I am not my mom but my sister has a 3 year old girl and she is against posting pics of my niece online. You never know who may be watching the pics.

Best Answer

I wouldn't allow it.

Best Answer